Tax-free personal belongings carried by tourists now raised to 20,000 baht

webfact

Tax-free personal belongings carried by tourists now raised to 20,000 baht

14-7-2558-13-31-13-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai and foreign tourists are now allowed to bring in with them personal belongings worth 20,000 baht into Thailand with no import tax from earlier fixed at 10,000 baht.

The increase in the value of personal belongings brought in by both Thais and foreigners into the country with import tax exemption is now in force.

Customs department director general Somchai Sajjapong said the change in the value of personal belongings with tax exemption has become effective July 10.

The increase which was made to suit the current situation in which the baht value has changed will enable more flexibilities for Thai tourists returning from overseas and foreign tourists visiting the country and carrying with them personal belongings, he said.

He said the increase of the value of tax-free personal belongings brought in will now be same as the value of things bought at duty-free shops by travellers at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports before entering the country.

But he said further that in case of cigarettes or cigars which is considered personal belonging and brought in by travellers themselves, import duty will be exempted only it doesn’t exceed 200 cigarettes, or not more than a combined weight of 250 grammes in cigarettes, cigars and tobacco.

For liquor, it must not exceed 1,000 cc or one litre, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tax-free-personal-belongings-carried-by-tourists-now-raised-to-20000-baht

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-14

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said the increase of the value of tax-free personal belongings brought in will now be same as the value of things bought at duty-free shops by travellers at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports before entering the country.

I don't get this part. I know the King Power also sells taxfree to travellers entering Thailand but do they sell so much taxfree to travellers coming to Thailand?

But i 'm happy with this new rule! Now i can bring much more quality machinery into Thailand straight from Europe.

Who needs new carparts?

So anyone with a phone, camera, and laptop will have to pay tax on their belongings. That's just BS. I really hope they enforce it and eventually drive away droves of disgruntled wealthy foreign tourists. Hit the Thais in the hip pocket where it really hurts.

I'll just say I'm a general and I can bring in whatever I want, whenever I want.

Or a disgraced ex PM who apparently can advertise publicly she's just bought a load of peal necklaces and still wander through customs without any tax payment.

Seems some are just naturals at avoiding tax of any kind.

I don't get this part. I know the King Power also sells taxfree to travellers entering Thailand but do they sell so much taxfree to travellers coming to Thailand?

But i 'm happy with this new rule! Now i can bring much more quality machinery into Thailand straight from Europe.

Who needs new carparts?

Regarding the car parts would I be correct that I can bring with me parts for my car as long as the value is not over 20k Baht, equivalent to around $594 ?

So anyone with a phone, camera, and laptop will have to pay tax on their belongings. That's just BS. I really hope they enforce it and eventually drive away droves of disgruntled wealthy foreign tourists. Hit the Thais in the hip pocket where it really hurts.

Actually that's not how it works. If you look at Australia's duty free limit of A$900 per traveller on goods purchased new either at airport duty free stores before entry or overseas, Thailand's 20,000 Baht limit, which works out to be approx. A$800 is only about A$100 lower at current rates of exchange and would likely apply only to brand new goods purchased abroad that have been unopened, not used goods like a 2 year old laptop or a 2-3 year old smartphone whose values are difficult to determine.

And if that's not enough, enforcement will be very lax because as we all know, only Indian traders carrying 10 boxes are ever asked to go through the red channel on arrival (or have their goods x-rayed). Out of dozens and dozens of trips into and out of Thailand via Suvarnabhumi alone (and before that, Don Muang) over the years, the number of inspections I've been subject to has been a grand total of one. And that was only because I had a lot of luggage with me and was travelling with my fiancee, but the "inspection" was over in about 7 seconds.

At land borders inspections are even more lax, travel by car and your vehicle won't even be inspected. Smart smugglers will go as far as knowing which border checkpoints to use, hint the bigger ones are more likely to have inspections while the smaller ones don't do anything. The other option is a quick backhander to customs who are too lazy to even inspect what you've got - just tell them what you have, and hand them 100-200 Baht, which will get you across the line. Or you can always have your goods come in via a smaller unofficial gate near the official one; there are more than a dozen lining the Moei river below the official Friendship Bridge in Mae Sot alone.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

That's actually 60,000 THB down from the old rule !!!! Before, it was allowed to carry personal belongings not exceeding 80,000 THB when entering Thailand, with a few exemptions on the amount of cigarettes and alcohol.

Or had I been wrong all the time on my numerous entries ?

What happened ? Why do they claim it had merely been 10,000 THB before ?? I am confused by this.

Edited by crazygreg44

Laughable amount. 500 Euros worth of "personal belongings"? Everyone bringing his personal smartphone plus a few clothes will already be over that amount, thus breaking the law.

Instead of potentially criminalizing the average foreign tourist with such a ridiculous law, rather go and categorically check the luggage of wealthy Thais returning from abroad and hit them with import duty and luxury goods taxes for all those exorbitantly expensive brand handbags and other apparel they routinely bring back from their weekend shopping trips to Hong Kong and Singapore.

I don't own 20,000 Baht of personal belongings violin.gif

When I fly in/out I'm carrying 2 laptops, that's 100,000 baht just there.

I also have my phone, ipad, various other high value items.

Not to mention my clothes which can easily be 10,000 baht just what I'm wearing.

Myself: - iPhone - iPad - Macbook Pro - Panerai Watch - Parrot Headphones

Wife: - Hermes watch - Diamond earings - Diamond engagement ring

We're entering Thailand on each and every single trip with an excess of 1MB in personal belongings...

Heck, my Son enters in a pushchair that sells in Thailand for more than the THB 20,000 allowance !!!...

Not specifically Thailand - but I'd challenge anyone, backpackers too, to travel and enter another country with less than this in personal belongings...

Actually that's not how it works. If you look at Australia's duty free limit of A$900 per traveller on goods purchased new either at airport duty free stores before entry or overseas, Thailand's 20,000 Baht limit, which works out to be approx. A$800 is only about A$100 lower at current rates of exchange and would likely apply only to brand new goods purchased abroad that have been unopened, not used goods like a 2 year old laptop or a 2-3 year old smartphone whose values are difficult to determine.

And if that's not enough, enforcement will be very lax because as we all know, only Indian traders carrying 10 boxes are ever asked to go through the red channel on arrival (or have their goods x-rayed). Out of dozens and dozens of trips into and out of Thailand via Suvarnabhumi alone (and before that, Don Muang) over the years, the number of inspections I've been subject to has been a grand total of one. And that was only because I had a lot of luggage with me and was travelling with my fiancee, but the "inspection" was over in about 7 seconds.

At land borders inspections are even more lax, travel by car and your vehicle won't even be inspected. Smart smugglers will go as far as knowing which border checkpoints to use, hint the bigger ones are more likely to have inspections while the smaller ones don't do anything. The other option is a quick backhander to customs who are too lazy to even inspect what you've got - just tell them what you have, and hand them 100-200 Baht, which will get you across the line. Or you can always have your goods come in via a smaller unofficial gate near the official one; there are more than a dozen lining the Moei river below the official Friendship Bridge in Mae Sot alone.

Where in the OP dos it state that this only applies to new goods. They way I read it is that it allies to all goods, new or second hand. Apparently, most of the posters here think so too. If new (unopened) goods, then this should be specifically stated, as that makes a huge difference.

are they talking about new items purchased at the airport before you leave your country and arrive in Thailand,because i go well over it every time if they talk about personal items such as rings,chain,watch,iphone.my iphone alone breaks the limit,not to mention my gold rings and chain,camera,watch.what if a couple goes to Thailand on there honeymoon,and they have expensive engagement and wedding rings,what about all your clothes you bring with you,some of my jeans are $300/pair.i will be taxed a fortune!Thailand is losing the plot here!

Who needs new carparts?

Does this mean you can buy a older car for 20000 thai BHt pack into container and bring it into Thailand tax free.

Older cars are so cheap in NZ a 20000 Bht car would fetch up to 300000 Thai Bht in Thailand.

So I can bring in the Rolex in 20 pieces. Must look into that. ??

Why would you even want to have such a poorly made watch. I got rid of mine when it kept losing ten minutes every few months. What an overrated watch.

If u wear it in bed and finish a midnight pee with a good shake or masterbate once a night that keeps the battery recharged and no time is lost............gigglem.gif .

Ok, my mistake !

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/arriving+in+thailand/arrivinginthailand

Duty Payment

If you are bringing in with you the items with total combined value more than 10,000 baht, ( now NEW: 20,000 THB ) these items are subject to import taxes and duties. A flat rate of duty will be applied on the dutiable items provided that:

• The dutiable items are intended for personal use;
  • They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes;
  • The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; and
  • Passengers are able to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.
Edited by crazygreg44

Is there a misunderstanding here or what? Usually the duties are only for travellers with goods that will end up in Thailand .e.g immigrants bringing personal belongings or thais returning from abroad.

Foreign tourists that plan to leave the country, that is goods are imported and then exported again, typically are exempt from these duties. So don't worry about your $10000 watch or handbag. As long as you're taking it home with you.

Yet another law which allows farang to be fleeced.

I imagine a lot of people are wearing more than that with jewellery and watches when they come in.

It's a perfect setup for an official to pick someone who looks wealthy, take them aside then tell them how much they have to pay to get in. Then of course there will be a cash amount which lets them get on their way without a receipt.

Why can't they claim it back if they show the same goods when they exit the country ?.

This kind of thing is what I hate most about Thailand.

I tried to find this 'flat rate of duty' on the net and it seems nobody knows it. I got a link to a Thai customs page which has no logic to the menu to find it - and every page was taking an age to download so I got fed up. Seems the tactics worked : they say they will charge you and you won't know how much until it's too late. And no doubt the value will be down to the discretion of the official with no way to appeal what he says.

Who needs new carparts?

Does this mean you can buy a older car for 20000 thai BHt pack into container and bring it into Thailand tax free.

Older cars are so cheap in NZ a 20000 Bht car would fetch up to 300000 Thai Bht in Thailand.

Then bring it! It's the same with Mercedes in Germany, much much cheaper then in Thailand and they have piles of used parts.

Is there a misunderstanding here or what? Usually the duties are only for travellers with goods that will end up in Thailand .e.g immigrants bringing personal belongings or thais returning from abroad.

Foreign tourists that plan to leave the country, that is goods are imported and then exported again, typically are exempt from these duties. So don't worry about your $10000 watch or handbag. As long as you're taking it home with you.

Not in Thailand. I looked into processing circuit boards for an American company which would involve programming cpus and calibrating sensors.

I would have to pay import duty on the full price of the PCB (even though I would not pay anything for them) and could not claim anything back when they were exported - even though the boards would never change ownership from the American company.

Sometimes we have to remember we are dealing with a developing country whose own industries don't go much further than farming and making stuff from concrete.

I'll just say I'm a general and I can bring in whatever I want, whenever I want.

Or a disgraced ex PM who apparently can advertise publicly she's just bought a load of peal necklaces and still wander through customs without any tax payment.

Seems some are just naturals at avoiding tax of any kind.

Easy, big guy. This is a family forum....besides, is there really tax on that?