Sirikit dam has usable water for just 19 days

webfact

Sirikit dam has usable water for just 19 days

IMG_20150714_142542-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Only 316.77 million cubic metres of water or 4.76 percent of the water in the Sirikit dam are usable and they will last for just 19 days, said Mr Suthep Lertsrimongkon, director of the dam, on Tuesday.

He disclosed that there are now 3,166.77 million cubic metres left in the Sirikit dam, one of the four major dams in the country, or 33 percent of its full capacity. And, of these, only 316.77 million cubic metres can be used, he said, adding that electricity generation is still on although the amount of electricity generated has dropped as only two of the four generators are functioning.

The water level at the dam now was measured at 133.52 metres above mean sea level. But he warned that electricity generation will stop once the level has dropped to 128 metres or one percent of usable water.

Mr Suthep cautioned farmers to conserve water and not engaged in fight over water. He hopes that the water shortage situation will ease in the next two weeks as rains are expected then as forecasted by the Meteorological Department.

But if there are no rains as predicted, he said the drought situation will get worse.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sirikit-dam-has-usable-water-for-just-19-days-2

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-14

Wouldn't it make more sense to picture the other side of the dam, where the low level is?

Could be the other side does not look much different. Or maybe worse.

The other side is only a field, the picture shows the deep side of the dam

Wouldn't it make more sense to picture the other side of the dam, where the low level is?

You really think so? So is that railway line normally under water?

I've 144 liters of drinking water stockpiled; for two people at two liters/day, that's enough drinking water for 36 days.

I'm wondering if I should stock more?

I hate to be a chicken little, but I am now making my daily walk home from lunch include two 5 liter bottles.

going to use them sooner or later, so why not?

And besides, according to Murphy's Law, when you and I have 500 liters, it will rain like in the Bible.

So, from disambiguated and myself .. in advance .. your welcome !!

I've 144 liters of drinking water stockpiled; for two people at two liters/day, that's enough drinking water for 36 days.

I'm wondering if I should stock more?

Those numbers are low if you calculate for 50 + 85KG body weight individuals with zero excercise per day. Numbers are closer to 2 + 3 Liters.

Yep I guess it must be and the lady on the right standing in the mud.

Please tell me that you all are kidding. Please. (And no, not Halloween, whose joke / observation was sad, but true funny.)

Really? The picture shows the deep side of the dam? I don't drink, but today might be a good day to start.

In the village I live in, people are still hosing down driveways and even the road...

Obviously they havent heard of the water shortage...

Reality... They dont give a sh|t and never will as Thailand is their country and they can keep it as filthy and as backward as they please....

The picture is from the down river side of the dam, where the hydro station railways
and roads and even look at the trees on the edge of the dam are located.
The other side probable looks pretty bad if the water level is so low.
It would have been nice to see a shot of two of the situation, but I guess we will have to wait
until someone with a camera will take a few pictures for the rest of us to see.
here are a few pictures of the Hoover dam in the USA, see the bath tub ring from
the lower water levels.

post-217497-0-69196400-1436894792_thumb.

post-217497-0-55886400-1436894807_thumb.

post-217497-0-51321500-1436894826_thumb.

Very interesting, but nobody seems to have noticed the glitch in the OP ----- reservoir down to 3000 cbm but only 300 available. How can this be? Please don't tell me the dams have silted up due to lack of maintenance. Shock Horror --- in Thailand never.

A rather pertinent but unmentioned fact is that it that this current problem does not just require rain but rain within the catchment areas. Rain may indeed soften the burden on rural areas however without replenishing the dam water a drought disaster is inevitable.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And look at this:

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

Bhumibol dam is down to 1% usable capacity. And we are meant to be well into rainy season now.

Bumibol is at 8%.

Interesting that Nong Pla Lai dam (wherever that is) is at 97%.

Sorry for that typo...I did mean 8%. blink.png

Thanks for correcting.

And it is still at 8%. Did it rain?

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

In the village I live in, people are still hosing down driveways and even the road...

Obviously they havent heard of the water shortage...

Reality... They dont give a sh|t and never will as Thailand is their country and they can keep it as filthy and as backward as they please....

They are living from experience. Until the government orders the closures of Turkish baths and spas, things are not dire...

Well done, the picture is the discharge side of the dam, that's the side that doesn't get wet.