After deal, Israel still vows to block an Iran nuclear bomb

webfact

ARON HELLER, Associated Press

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called Tuesday's nuclear deal with Iran a mistake of "historic proportions" and vowed to keep up efforts to block the Islamic Republic from obtaining an atomic bomb.

The strong reaction was echoed across the political spectrum in Israel, where concern is high the country's arch enemy has duped the world and will acquire nuclear weapons to use against Israel. Iran already backs militant groups that attack Israel and its leaders frequently have referred to Israel's destruction in the past.

Netanyahu has been at the forefront of global opposition to the deal and has openly clashed with the Obama administration and other Western powers that have been pushing for an easing of sanctions in return for greater restrictions on its nuclear program. Netanyahu showed no signs of tempering his criticism Tuesday and added a veiled threat of his own.

"One cannot prevent an agreement when the negotiators are willing to make more and more concessions to those who, even during the talks, keep chanting: 'Death to America,'" he said, before meeting with Dutch Foreign Minister Bert Koenders. "We knew very well that the desire to sign an agreement was stronger than anything, and therefore we did not commit to preventing an agreement. We did commit to preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, and this commitment still stands."

In the past, Israel has threatened to carry out a military strike against Iran's nuclear installations. But that option appeared to fade as the U.S.-led group of powers engaged in diplomacy with Iran.

Israel's first course of action looks to be an intense lobbying effort in the U.S. Congress to oppose the deal. Netanyahu spoke against the emerging deal before a joint session of Congress in March. Yet despite strong support among Republicans in Congress, there is little that can be done now.

The Senate can weigh in on the agreement but can't kill it, because Obama doesn't need congressional approval for a multinational deal that is not designated a treaty.

Lawmakers have 60 days to review the agreement, during which Obama can't ease penalties on Iran. Only if lawmakers were to build a veto-proof majority behind new legislation enacting new sanctions or preventing Obama from suspending existing ones, the administration would be prevented from living up to the accord.

Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely said Israel "will employ all diplomatic means to prevent confirmation of the agreement."

Netanyahu's coalition partners angrily criticized Wednesday's agreement. Education Minister Naftali Bennett, who heads the hawkish Jewish Home party, said July 14 will be remembered a "dark day for the free world." Cabinet Minister Miri Regev said the agreement gave Iran a "license to kill."

The cascade of criticism crossed party lines, reflecting the widespread opposition to the deal in Israel.

"This is a regime based in deceit, and now they are going to do what they did for the last 20 years, which is trying to get themselves nuclear weapons behind the back of the world," Yair Lapid, the head of the opposition Yesh Atid Party, told The Associated Press. "Now they are going to do it with the help of the international community."

Netanyahu called on all sides to "put petty politics aside" and unite behind opposing Iran.

"Our concern, of course, is that the militant Islamic state of Iran is going to receive a sure path to nuclear weapons," he said, adding that Iran would get a "jackpot of cash bonanza of hundreds of billions of dollars."

"This is a bad mistake of historic proportion," he said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-14

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're talking about 'bombs' (as the title suggests) then yes Israel is likely to work to prevent them obtaining any nuclear weaponry because the surely the whole deal discussions in the first place were to oversee and ensure that Iran was not developing thus nuclear capability in order to build nuclear weaponry? I don't know the details of the deal yet, so I don't know if it is a 'mistake' or not. Time will tell.

Time will tell, that an historical humongous mistake has taken place here, the Iranians are not to be trusted, nothing that they have done in the past 30 years has indicated that they're peace loving nation who want to coexist with it's neighbours, by no stretch of the wildest imaginations, so why they will change soon? all the have to look is at N. Korea and they gets to dictate their will on the world, and the world is too afraid to get them angry or call their bluff....

Well, Israel or not, I think this will be not be passed by congress.

So then Obama vetoes and then the question is, is there any chance at all there would be enough votes for a veto override?

Also, if so (unlikely) then what happens as far as the other nations who are agreeing to this deal?

It's still early in the digestion of the details of the deal ... but if details do come out and get spun a certain way, I suppose there might be a chance for a veto override, which is why I want to know what that would mean exactly.

Edited by Jingthing

The complete and abject capitulation by the P5 was predictable ages ago, the delays have been mere theatre allowing Iran to squeeze out even more concessions. Israel will bomb the Iranian installations, that is certain and was imho Obama's plan all along, the worse the deal the more certain this outcome.

The only remaining question is whether or not the Israelis wait for congress to signal their rejection of the deal or whether they strike beforehand.

P.S Benjamin Netanyahu opened a memorial center commemorating the raid on Entebbe the other day, the timing is not coincidental, the Israelis know what they have to do and they will do it.

Edited by Steely Dan

You really think Israel will bomb?

Wow.

The reason I say Wow is because I think Obama clearly doesn't want them to ... so that would be really rogue.

You seem to think Obama wants them to bomb. I don't get how you think that.

Sure most of the republicans would be OK with Israel bombing ... but last I checked they don't have the WHITE HOUSE.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow.

The reason I say Wow is because I think Obama clearly doesn't want them to ... so that would be really rogue.

Sure most of the republicans would be OK with Israel bombing ... but last I checked they don't have the WHITE HOUSE.

Obama has done everything in his power to destabilize the Middle East and isolate Israel, do you really think that this is just serial incompetence? Find what Michael Oren the ex-Israeli ambassador to the U.S has to say about relations between the two nations during Obama's presidency.

P.s Israel has developed it's own bunker buster.

http://www.thomaswictor.com/israel-issues-its-final-warning/

Edited by Steely Dan

Time will tell, that an historical humongous mistake has taken place here, the Iranians are not to be

trusted, nothing that they have done in the past 30 years has indicated that they're peace loving

nation who want to coexist with it's neighbours, by no stretch of the wildest imaginations,

so why they will change soon? all the have to look is at N. Korea and they gets to dictate their will

on the world, and the world is too afraid to get them angry or call their bluff....

Note that Israel did everything to establish and maintain good relations with its neighbors...
The fact that more a billion Muslims around definitely hate and wish its disappearance is necessarily due to bad luck .
Add to this that the unstated objective of Daesh necessarily be oriented towards a solid front against this country and we can look forward with optimism the bloody aftermath.

Well, Israel or not, I think this will be not be passed by congress.

So then Obama vetoes and then the question is, is there any chance at all there would be enough votes for a veto override?

Also, if so (unlikely) then what happens as far as the other nations who are agreeing to this deal?

It's still early in the digestion of the details of the deal ... but if details do come out and get spun a certain way, I suppose there might be a chance for a veto override, which is why I want to know what that would mean exactly.

Whether it is passed by congress doesnt matter at all. You do realise there are other countries that have agreed to this. If the US pulls out it makes very little difference.

Wow.

Obama has done everything in his power to destabilize the Middle East and isolate Israel, do you really think that this is just serial incompetence? Find what Michael Oren the ex-Israeli ambassador to the U.S has to say about relations between the two nations during Obama's presidency.

P.s Israel has developed it's own bunker buster.

http://www.thomaswictor.com/israel-issues-its-final-warning/

The majority of the world has isolated Israel. Obama must be tired of being in the minority and is moving with the times.

The complete and abject capitulation by the P5 was predictable ages ago, the delays have been mere theatre allowing Iran to squeeze out even more concessions. Israel will bomb the Iranian installations, that is certain and was imho Obama's plan all along, the worse the deal the more certain this outcome.

The only remaining question is whether or not the Israelis wait for congress to signal their rejection of the deal or whether they strike beforehand.

P.S Benjamin Netanyahu opened a memorial center commemorating the raid on Entebbe the other day, the timing is not coincidental, the Israelis know what they have to do and they will do it.

Wow.

This deal between Obama and Iran has a 'disaster' written all over it. By signing it USA is forcing Israelis to take matter in their own hands.

Israel talks less but acts decisively. The reason is: - what for USA is a political issue for Israel is a matter of State security if not survival.

In a way it is better that Israelis will have to do it alone. Looking at USA recorded history of such OPs - less chance of a botched action.

IMHO it is not a healthy attitude to characterise Israel's actions as "rogue" because Obama does not want them. State security is of primary concern for any country.

When Israel allows nuclear inspections then perhaps the world may give a damn what they think.

And you know of Israel's nuclear capabilities or existences how exactly? discounting unfounded rumors

and estimates of course..... while the Iranian ambitions and capabilities are well known....

When Israel allows nuclear inspections then perhaps the world may give a damn what they think.

And you know of Israel's nuclear capabilities or existences how exactly? discounting unfounded rumors

and estimates of course..... while the Iranian ambitions and capabilities are well known....

It's clear that many who are happy about the Iran deal share Iran's anti-Israel obsession.

This deal is the best news for years, after all the wars we've got to put up with, anything bad for the lunatics in Israel is excellent for the civilised peace loving humans of this beautiful planet.

Without the devil Zionists controlling the strings in Israel, the world will be a better and more peaceful place. If the current right wing Israel government does succeed with its paid puppets in Congress, I'm sure Obama will have enough to get it through after veto. Deep down in Israel the vast majority, excluding settlers feel at least diplomacy is being given a chance.

The world wants peace not more war!

Edited by jazzyfrosty

"This is a regime based in deceit, and now they are going to do what they did for the last 20 years, which is trying to get themselves nuclear weapons behind the back of the world,"

aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-14

You gotta love it when these shameless, political hypocrites attempt to take the moral high ground. The statement describes Israel to a T. Israel: a country which has yet to sign the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty based upon the assertion that they "have no nuclear weapons."

WASHINGTON: Following Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahus heated objections to the nuclear deal struck between the United States and Iran, American officials announced Tuesday that they were calming the upset head of government by treating him to a nice, big shipment of ballistic missiles. Bibi always gets a little cranky when he sees us talking to Iran, but a few dozen short-range surface-to-surface missiles usually cheer him right up, said State Department spokesperson Daniel Goldman, adding that the shipment of MGM-140 ATACMS missiles should be enough to settle the sullen Israeli leader down at least for the deals crucial early implementation stages.

[...]

At least well have a couple months of peace and quiet around here. Goldman went on to say that the U.S. was saving its shipment of missile defense system components in case Netanyahu got worked up during Israel-Palestine peace negotiations later this year.

Here

The reason Israel is so paranoid about protecting itself is because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. How did the Hebrew's acquire this particular patch of land? Did they perhaps buy it for some silver or a few shekels? No they invaded the Amalekites and ethnically cleansed them. Does anyone know what the justification was? I know that the Hebrews and Amalekites had had a run in some decades before. Israel knows and have always known that the foundation of the state is built on falsehoods so like a true American, they resort to 'you can't take away my guns, so there'. Israel would not have accepted any deal struck in public anyhow.

Fairly accurate except for dress which is unknown in some cases. For more information on the historical qualities then you need to read the notes under the video on YT I guess.

Edited by notmyself

Netanyahu said today that this deal 'doesn’t work.' Obviously it doesn’t work because now his Israeli government - I’m not talking about the whole of the Israeli population - they will have to concentrate on what really matters, which is what they do to the Palestinians. Now there is no third conversation. The Iran issue is practically close, it is a diplomacy victory. Now they have to deal with Palestine.

As noted, there are quite a number of other countries involved in this deal, so it is NOT Obama's deal alone.

Israel has every right to feel threatened and if they decide to take the Iranian nuclear program out, I am pretty sure they will have the support of the US.

The international community has made it clear, they don't want a world's policeman. Well, you got the police to go home, so now live with it. If a country wants protection, then they should protect themselves first.

cheesy.gif

This deal is the best news for years, after all the wars we've got to put up with, anything bad for the lunatics in Israel is excellent for the civilised peace loving humans of this beautiful planet.

Without the devil Zionists controlling the strings in Israel, the world will be a better and more peaceful place. If the current right wing Israel government does succeed with its paid puppets in Congress, I'm sure Obama will have enough to get it through after veto. Deep down in Israel the vast majority, excluding settlers feel at least diplomacy is being given a chance.

The world wants peace not more war!

Speaking of lunatics. Some of them are singing syncopated songs. Some are cold and calculating.

If you get my drift...

If one really wants to have peace one must be ready for the war any time.

Those "lunatics in Israel", the "devil Zionists" you are talking about - they are ready.

And the majority of the people in the World know what they prefer - Israel or Iran.

I think even Saudis, Jordanians and Yemenites by now prefer Israel to a nuclear Iran.

This leaves the opposition - Obama and jazzyfrosty. coffee1.gif