Cheapest (wireless) option to play internet radio through Hi Fi

giddyup

The Cheapest option would probably be a Bluetooth Audio adapter, like this:

http://www.priceza.com/search?productdataname=avantree%20roxa

That plugs into a power socket, from there you run RCA cables to the home stereo's AUX in, then you just pair your PC/Phone/Tablet to the Roxa and you're all done. Range will be limited pretty much to the room the hifi is in though.

If you need a solution with longer wireless range, an Apple Airport Express will do the same thing, but using Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth, and with better sound quality (non lossy like Bluetooth): http://store.apple.com/th-en/product/MC414TH/A/airport-express?fnode=8abc57e4f9038e24f931591b6af5cbabca432f1afe363ee88a2fe4d19a21ed5d56d10e7b4d00ccb900628e9f14ab990cbcc69dc3bc9dc91ce565f90123c51a2b9a35a2c033648c6500e5b2e02f935b14bdee9f5ebaf2ff7f05e14e50fd3e405d8321d1d937f6e0194096ee1e7d63c70b

Edited by IMHO

That plugs into a power socket, from there you run RCA cables to the home stereo's AUX in, then you just pair your PC/Phone/Tablet to the Roxa and you're all done. Range will be limited pretty much to the room the hifi is in though.

If you need a solution with longer wireless range, an Apple Airport Express will do the same thing, but using Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth, and with better sound quality (non lossy like Bluetooth): http://store.apple.com/th-en/product/MC414TH/A/airport-express?fnode=8abc57e4f9038e24f931591b6af5cbabca432f1afe363ee88a2fe4d19a21ed5d56d10e7b4d00ccb900628e9f14ab990cbcc69dc3bc9dc91ce565f90123c51a2b9a35a2c033648c6500e5b2e02f935b14bdee9f5ebaf2ff7f05e14e50fd3e405d8321d1d937f6e0194096ee1e7d63c70b

Thanks, but which one, there are quite a few pictured there. Also the plug looks like it only has a single socket for a RCA cable.

Thanks, but which one, there are quite a few pictured there. Also the plug looks like it only has a single socket for a RCA cable.

they're all the same thing, just from different vendors smile.png

It has just one audio out - and that's all you need - it's 1/8" stereo to 2x RCA's

Edited by IMHO

It has just one audio out - and that's all you need.

Sorry, don't follow. If it has one audio out (single plug) does it have a red and white plug on the other end? Obviously I need right and left channels for stereo. Also Lazada shows 7 different models at different prices, but you say these are all the same? http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=avantree+roxa

Edited by giddyup

Sorry, don't follow. If it has one audio out (single plug) does it have a red and white plug on the other end? Obviously I need right and left channels for stereo. Also Lazada shows 7 different models at different prices, but you say these are all the same? http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=avantree+roxa

Giddyup, from the Lazada link you provided
What's in the box:
Avantree Roxa Bluetooth 4.0 Music receiver, 3.5mm audio cable, RCA extension cable, User guide, Warranty card
This is a Bluetooth v4.0 receiver (10 meter distance max range) with 3.5 mm stereo minijack connection, supplied with minijack-to-RCA connection cables.
It can also be used as a USB charging point (1A capacity).
The price difference is due to Lazada affiliate pricing. They all appear to be the same model (varied plug version).
What do you want to bet the less expensive one isn't in stock.
Edited by RichCor

Giddyup, from the Lazada link you provided
What's in the box:
Avantree Roxa Bluetooth 4.0 Music receiver, 3.5mm audio cable, RCA extension cable, User guide, Warranty card
This is a Bluetooth v4.0 receiver (10 meter distance max range) with 3.5 mm stereo minijack connection, supplied with minijack-to-RCA connection cables.
It can also be used as a USB charging point (1A capacity).
The price difference is due to Lazada affiliate pricing. They all appear to be the same model (varied plug version).
What do you want to bet the less expensive one isn't in stock.

I bought a Roxa for 799 Baht only 2 weeks ago - was in stock, delivered in 2 days. It's a decent piece of kit, and worked a treat at my daughter's birthday party when everyone wanted to play "DJ" with their phones smile.png In that case, it was acting as the source for over 400K Baht worth of pro audio gear - sound quality was very good, overall.

Edited by IMHO

I bought a Roxa for 799 Baht only 2 weeks ago - was in stock, delivered in 2 days. It's a decent piece of kit, and worked a treat at my daughter's birthday party when everyone wanted to play "DJ" with their phones smile.png In that case, it was acting as the source for over 400K Baht worth of pro audio gear - sound quality was very good, overall.

What was the range? It's supposed to be good for 10 metres but according to a Youtube video it's more like 5 0r 6 metres.

What was the range? It's supposed to be good for 10 metres but according to a Youtube video it's more like 5 0r 6 metres.

The only time I've used it so far has been that party, which was an outdoors pool party -I didn't notice any dropouts, so that means it easily did over 15M range. But, that Roxa was plugged into a powerboard that gave an unobstructed line of sight for the signal, and being outdoors, not too much EMF to interfere with it either. If hidden behind an entertainment unit, and/or surrounded by AC and other cables, I can imagine it might only achieve a few metres though... that's the nature of bluetooth....

As noted, if you want longer range an Airport Express support Airplay streaming over your (or it's own) Wi-Fi network. That's what I had been using for the "party system" up to now, but it has two disadvantages: on Windows and Android devices, it needs an extra app to be installed to support Airplay streaming - OK if its' your devices, but not OK if your goal is to let any visitor play DJ. The second is that Airplay has 2-3 seconds of audio delay that Bluetooth audio doesn't - again OK for yourself as you get used to it, but confusing for some guests... the lag is just enough for them to ask: "is it working?"... before being bombarded by 140dB+ of sound because they jacked the volume to max :D

The only time I've used it so far has been that party, which was an outdoors pool party -I didn't notice any dropouts, so that means it easily did over 15M range. But, that Roxa was plugged into a powerboard that gave an unobstructed line of sight for the signal, and being outdoors, not too much EMF to interfere with it either. If hidden behind an entertainment unit, and/or surrounded by AC and other cables, I can imagine it might only achieve a few metres though... that's the nature of bluetooth....

As noted, if you want longer range an Airport Express support Airplay streaming over your (or it's own) Wi-Fi network. That's what I had been using for the "party system" up to now, but it has two disadvantages: on Windows and Android devices, it needs an extra app to be installed to support Airplay streaming - OK if its' your devices, but not OK if your goal is to let any visitor play DJ. The second is that Airplay has 2-3 seconds of audio delay that Bluetooth audio doesn't - again OK for yourself as you get used to it, but confusing for some guests... the lag is just enough for them to ask: "is it working?"... before being bombarded by 140dB+ of sound because they jacked the volume to max biggrin.png

Cheers. I'll have a pretty much clear line of sight between the modem and the device, no more than 6 metres, so it should work fine.

Cheers. I'll have a pretty much clear line of sight between the modem and the device, no more than 6 metres, so it should work fine.

Modem??

I would assume you'd either be streaming audio over an existing Bluetooth connected device, (PC, Laptop, Apple or Android device, or a specialty Internet Radio device) to the purchased Bluetooth receiver.

Modem??

I would assume you'd either be streaming audio over an existing Bluetooth connected device, (PC, Laptop, Apple or Android device, or a specialty Internet Radio device) to the purchased Bluetooth receiver.

Yes, sorry, I meant laptop.

Do you have Wifi or a Smart Phone with a data connection ?

Does your Stereo have an AUX port ?

It isn't wireless... but playing Internet Radio through on your Stereo through your AUX port is your cheapest option.

Wireless:

I use the Airport (apple) that connects to my TV's Surround Sound System (AUX) - I connect to the Airport from iTunes on my Phone (or Laptop) and play my music (or internet radio) through the Surround Sound System

Edited by richard_smith237

Do you have Wifi or a Smart Phone with a data connection ?

Does your Stereo have an AUX port ?

It isn't wireless... but playing Internet Radio through on your Stereo through your AUX port is your cheapest option.

Wireless:

I use the Airport (apple) that connects to my TV's Surround Sound System (AUX) - I connect to the Airport from iTunes on my Phone (or Laptop) and play my music (or internet radio) through the Surround Sound System

Yes, I have a wi-fi laptop and my stereo has RCA Aux connections.

A cheap android, apple or windows mobile or tablet. Connect the headphones out to the aux in. Preferable by a cable with some resistors to do some impedance matching and give the option to match the volume level.

Advantage, no pc or laptop needed to play music. An android mobile can be remote controlled from a laptop with airdroid or similar app.

There are several internet radio players available and with some hacking you can use it as a kind or apple airport device also.

BTW I have Denon X3000 that has an internet connection and buildin internet radio player. But I guess it is a bit overkill for your setup.

Avantree Bluetooth Receiver Transmitter 2-in-1 Adapter -Saturn

Integrated Bluetooth music transceiver

simple to switch between transmit and receive modes

-can be used as a single device in either transmit or receive mode with connect with other compatible Bluetooth device,

-can be used as a pair with one end as a transmitter and the other end as receiver

Compact design; easy to use; long battery life: TX up to 10 hours, RX up to 9 hours

Standard 3.5mm audio socket and cable enable Saturn to connect to most modern audio device
Saturn will power off when stream audio when charging. Press round button to power on again.
Saturn can be charging and using simultaneously.

Interesting.

I'd only worry about the devices shutting down when the audio goes quiet, having to press the ON button to start it/them up again.

Avantree make a few models of this: The lower ones of these does not support AptX and use a high latency bluetooth chipset (i.e. laggy and has bad sound quality) - all of the Saturn's are only Bluetooth 3.0 - the Roxa is Bluetooth 4.0.

___.jpg

If you want the ability to Bluetooth enable some old source for wireless audio output, it's a handy gadget though.

Edited by IMHO