Thai Irrigation Department denies it mismanaged water releases from dams

webfact

Irrigation Department denies it mismanaged water releases from dams

11753864_10153483153598637_1493874875_n-

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Irrigation Department has brushed aside allegations that it mismanaged water management causing water shortage rendering damages to rice farmland.

Mr Thongplew Klongchan, director of water management and hydrology of the Royal Irrigation Department, admitted that the decision by the cabinet to slash the amount of water released from the four major dams to 18 million cubic metres a day from 28 million cubic metres a day would affect rice farming but he insisted that damages to the rice crops by water shortage was not the fault of the RID.

He claimed that the water stored in the four major dams this year was 600 million cubic metres more than the amount stored last year and the current amount of water was registered at 3,800 million cubic metres compared to 3,200 million cubic metres last year.

He said that if there are not enough rains by next month, there would not be surplus water for agriculture.

Mr Thongplew insisted that the RID did not mismanage water in the four major dams as alleged.

The reduction of water releases from the four dams will affect some 800,000 rai of rice fields especially those located at the end of irrigation canals or on hilly terrain.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/irrigation-department-denies-it-mismanaged-water-releases-from-dams

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-15

Lets not worry about the blame Game this water problem has been around for years , what is required is more dams for your ever expanding population , unfortunately time has now caught up and now the water management has to do something , perhaps the cancelling of the submarine order and the high speed rail network would be a start , priorities need re evaluating, what does Thailand want, water or fast trains and yellow submarines , the biggest challenge for Thailand , you are now at the Xroads in regard to water , how you meet the challenge will show how mature and good managers Thailand's administration really is , on past performances I wouldn't hold my breath while I wait for new dams to be installed, also pre - planning and scale modeling 50 years in advance would cause less problems .coffee1.gif

yes yes of course, no one is to blame. it just happened, this year no water. mai ben drai

I really like the term "brushed off" sounds so official high and mighty we know what we are doing? I must try and remember this term next time I <deleted>.

Those 3 submarines will make great water storage tanks for next yrs cock up. Then the General can slap himself on the back at what a good idea it was.

Bangkok is sinking fast under the bullsh1t of people, may it go sooner than later and put an end to this patheticness of people.

i didn't to that

(bart simpson)

The "I didnt do it"-boy ...cheesy.gif Funny stuff but I think the Whole idea about "I didnt do it" origins from Thailand - nobody is ever to blame no matter what sh1t they are doing constantly ... No Wonder the country is going Down the toilet ... blink.png

Thailand as a whole has more water then it needs for all of it's residents, it's industries and it's agriculture.

There is really more than enough but the real issue is that water management, organisation and foresight are gravely lacking in this country, hence 'there is a big problem.'

i didn't to that

(bart simpson)

The "I didnt do it"-boy ...cheesy.gif Funny stuff but I think the Whole idea about "I didnt do it" origins from Thailand - nobody is ever to blame no matter what sh1t they are doing constantly ... No Wonder the country is going Down the toilet ... blink.png

The-Simpsons---I-didn-t-do-it-Mini-Poste

i didn't to that

(bart simpson)

Standard answer for Thailand and global 7 year olds is " who told you I did that".

Lets not worry about the blame Game this water problem has been around for years , what is required is more dams for your ever expanding population , unfortunately time has now caught up and now the water management has to do something , perhaps the cancelling of the submarine order and the high speed rail network would be a start , priorities need re evaluating, what does Thailand want, water or fast trains and yellow submarines , the biggest challenge for Thailand , you are now at the Xroads in regard to water , how you meet the challenge will show how mature and good managers Thailand's administration really is , on past performances I wouldn't hold my breath while I wait for new dams to be installed, also pre - planning and scale modeling 50 years in advance would cause less problems .coffee1.gif

This year it is water shortages. Next year it will be electric shortages because of increased consumption and lack of future planning.

There needs to be a thorough review of the operations, policies and the role that the RID plays in the nation. It appears to be at odds with not only modern thinking but also in "competition" or even conflict with other water authorities

The system worked for a long time. Until the people who knew what they were doing were replaced (late 90's) by, friends, brothers, sisters, in general nepotism by the new government. things slowly went to S&*t.

Now that the people who know are mostly back at the job they know they are faced with the problem all over The Kingdom, there now is no water to manage, due to previous mismanagement.

Knee jerk reactions instead of knowledge and experience causes these problems, yes the lack of rain is also a big factor, but proper management in either case is essential for The Kingdom.

The worrying thing is not the shortage but it appears that no one ever learns from the past. Leassons learnt are zero. There are swings from flood to drought year after year and yet no oneappears to have the nouse to learn and take actions to minimise the effect.

Apparently paying billions for a bullet train is far better than paying the same to reduce the effect of extreme weather conditions. It is a very strange way of thinking.

Just conserve it to serve everyone and then don't complain when a gargantuan flood happens

Conserving it would have been a bloody good idea with an el Nino predicted and when a gargantuan flood is very highly unlikely..

Edited by halloween

The system worked for a long time. Until the people who knew what they were doing were replaced (late 90's) by, friends, brothers, sisters, in general nepotism by the new government. things slowly went to S&*t.

Now that the people who know are mostly back at the job they know they are faced with the problem all over The Kingdom, there now is no water to manage, due to previous mismanagement.

Knee jerk reactions instead of knowledge and experience causes these problems, yes the lack of rain is also a big factor, but proper management in either case is essential for The Kingdom.

The system never worked - it is of course different now from then but in the 70s and 80s massive deforestation and ill-advised dam building was the order of the day and the result is inherited mismanagement that has been compounded with current mismanagement...this is largely because there is no unified plan or authority to implement it even if there was one.

Lack of rain is NOT a factor....Thailand saves a fraction of the rain that lands - however dams are not necessarily a solution as rivers themselves are important economic and ecological factors in themselves.Climate change, water usage and conservation of resources accompanied by inefficient distribution are factors - these become problems with decades of ineffective water management policies.

A major concern is that since the 60s the RID has pursued policies that have little scientific basis or economic/ecological merit.....and is constantly at loggerheads with other agencies who are more in line with modern thinking and practices.

The worrying thing is not the shortage but it appears that no one ever learns from the past. Leassons learnt are zero. There are swings from flood to drought year after year and yet no oneappears to have the nouse to learn and take actions to minimise the effect.

Apparently paying billions for a bullet train is far better than paying the same to reduce the effect of extreme weather conditions. It is a very strange way of thinking.

flood and drought aree natural way of things in this region.....what has happened is untrammelled development of both industry and cities that has put undue strain on the resources largely due to lack of planning.