Use a visa service or do it myself?

By all means do it yourself and don't even consider an attorney ( term attorney very loosely applied ). I used one on arrival in Phuket, paid him 20,000 B

up front and ushered to airport, fly to Kuala Lumphur, stay in hotel, and was REJECTED due to poor paper work so returned to Phuket, went to Immigration and completed task in 1 day at little cost.

Thank you every body for their helpful and even those who are just negative neigh sayers also. As you look at this forum as a newbie, I do not know who is an expert or who proclaims to be an expert and knows only from what some told someone who told someone else. So my conclusion in reality is not to use this forum for such questions in the future. I think some of the response are uncalled for and one can see rapidly that these are persons who are here only to judge others and be critical of anything said that may offend them for some reason. Saying these things to people they do not know or may never meet, when in reality this is the only forum available for them to pronounce their sad lonely lives on.

The terms I used came straight from the website which calls the O-A via a "pension" visa. I don't know what it is called personally and really do not care. If I do not intend to work there then that visa sounds like it makes sense to me, but it is more paperwork apparently. I say apparently because I have no first hand knowledge and am not a smart ass but only someone trying to work my way through all of this so I can live in peace and harmony with my environment and the people I choose to be around.

Past attorney for the person who said he has never heard of that, well, just goes to show you how narrow your world is. I went through law school, never practiced law, but consulted for international corporations for many years, thus past attorney. My most current profession is much different. I am also a past Medical Doctor, meaning that I left that career in my 20s when I realize how difficult it would be for me to put up with insurance companies and the like, and the problems ahead in the health care industry.

I am "past" several things and maybe even a present smart ass working my way through these more complex issues since I have lived in 9 countries, travelled extensively and so far have had to deal with European, North, Central, South American, and Vietnam issues for many years now...so I am not inexperienced in travel having lived outside the USA for over 25 years in many different places and cultures.

I do appreciate those of you who are experts but who am I to know which of you is a true expert and who is just trying to be helpful or even just critical for your own malicious reasons. I thought I could come here and get good information but should have known better if I would have taken time to read other comments here from people that have nothing better to do than to criticize someone who does not have the experience in Thailand as they do.

As usual I will sort these things out and take into consideration all comments here. I am close to the consulate in New York City and will simply pop over there and sort things out with them and then I too will become the expert, "right." At least until things change again as they do so often in many countries. Thailand seems to be more than arcane in its visa policies so finding out facts seems to be the only way to go and to disregard most of the rude and even vulgar comments of those who have nothing to add to this forum except their angry vile comments.

This gives me a pause to remind myself that there are those out there who really are helpful and know what they are talking about, those out there who try to help but have no real idea of what the facts are, and then those out there who have nothing to add except criticism of everyone else....

For all of those who want to help me, I truly appreciate your comments and maybe I will figure out (in time) who the real experts are, but for now the true expert is the Thai Consulate and even they get it wrong sometimes if they are like other consulates in other countries.....but such is the life of a gypsy and this is what makes life colorful and interesting.

I hope I end up meeting some of the more helpful people once I get there and have a nice Thai lunch together and laugh about all of our experiences, and for those others, well please stay as clear of me as you want me to stay from you...I have no need for someone's anger and rude thinking directed toward me, but I do understand how miserable your life must be for you to be so rude to someone you have never met or know nothing about....

Once I find out the "facts" personally I will post my comments just to let all of us understand what happens in New York City at the consulate and I promise I will not distort those facts to suit my own purpose but will also add, please do not take my comments to be facts because those "facts" could change in a New York minute that both you and I are aware of.

Thanks to all, even the smart asses with their rude comments...it is evident you came from a country that allows freedom of speech, but need to remember that Thailand is not that country and you must be careful how your big mouths will get you in trouble if you criticize the wrong person in Thailand...freedom of speech is different there so beware.

DocRoberts -- I think you may find that the people over at the Thai Consulate aren't necessarily "the experts" when it comes to Immigration policy, either.

Hubby and I each applied for O-A visas from from the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago, doing all the hoop-jumping and submitting the police checks, medical reports, banking statements, etc. What was returned to us was an O-A visa for Hubby and an multi-entry one-year O visa for me. We were some distance from Chicago and had been dealing with them by phone & mail. We didn't know much about visas and thought we had identical visas in our passports, since we had submitted identical applications. We learned differently when we arrived in Thailand and he received a one-year permission to stay stamp and I received just 90 days and was told I had to leave the country every 90 days to re-enter and get a new entry stamp. When I went to Chiang Mai Immigration to see if this could be "corrected" I was told no, I should have taken up the matter with the Chicago Consulate.

If you decide to work with a visa agent in Thailand, definitely deal with one in Chiang Mai -- OS Thai Visa and Assist Thai Visa are two well-regarded ones here. If you deal with an agent in Bangkok or Pattaya, you'll pay more and you'll be tied into doing your 90 day reports in that office if the on-line system doesn't work for you. Besides, these agents charge much less than the agents in Bangkok or Pattaya.

It is better to get your NON visa at the Thai Embassy in the US, and you will have to do the retirement extension at you final destination, Chiang Mai?..because you will need a proof of residence, like a rental agreement or similar. You will need to get an income certification from the US Embassy making an appointment online, and paying $50.00. With that certification, and any other document you may need to probe your income, copy of all stamped pages of your passport, 2 passport photos, the correct filled form, plus 1900 thb and up to 5000 thb for one or unlimited yearly reentries permits.

After that, you will get a one year extension, having to show up or send your info online every 3 months to the local immigration office, and to repeat all over again every year. That's all. You do not need any help or visa service.

Yes, this is basically the way it will work. A couple of minor corrections -- the U.S. has a Consulate, not an Embassy in Chiang Mai. If the OP is going to use a Thai bank account (instead of Consulate Income Letter) to prove financial worth, then he should open the account soon after arriving so his money can "season" for 60 days prior to his application for the first 12-month retirement extension. In subsequent years, the funds will have to sit untouched for 90 days prior to application for the annual extension.

The fee for a re-entry permit is 1000 baht or 3800 baht for multi (unlimited) re-entry permit. Not 5000 baht.

The major reason to use a visa agent in Chiang Mai might be to avoid the long queues, but perhaps now that the new Immigration office is opening next week at Promenada, the 4 am queue time for retirement extensions may become a distant memory. Let's hope Chiang Mai becomes like other provinces where us retirees can show up at Immigration at a civilized hour, say 8 am, confident that we'll get our extension applications granted that day and not be told we're too late, come back earlier tomorrow.

It is better to get your NON visa at the Thai Embassy in the US and not in Bangkok., You will have to do the retirement extension in Chiang Mai, and you will need a proof of residence, like a rental agreement or similar. You will need to get an income certification from the US Embassy in Chian Mai making an appointment online, and paying $50.00. With that certification, proof of residence, any other document you may need to probe your income, your passport and copy of all stamped pages and entry card, 2 passport photos, the correct filled form, plus 1900 thb and up to 5000 thb for one or unlimited yearly reentries permits. Bring everything in hand, go early, get your number, and you will get your yearly retirement extension easily.

After that, you will have to show up or send your info online every 3 months to the local immigration office, and to repeat all over again every year for a new extension. That's all and easy. You will not need any help or visa service.

It is better to get your NON visa at the Thai Embassy in the US, and you will have to do the retirement extension at you final destination, Chiang Mai?..because you will need a proof of residence, like a rental agreement or similar. You will need to get an income certification from the US Embassy making an appointment online, and paying $50.00. With that certification, and any other document you may need to probe your income, copy of all stamped pages of your passport, 2 passport photos, the correct filled form, plus 1900 thb and up to 5000 thb for one or unlimited yearly reentries permits.

After that, you will get a one year extension, having to show up or send your info online every 3 months to the local immigration office, and to repeat all over again every year. That's all. You do not need any help or visa service.

Yes, this is basically the way it will work. A couple of minor corrections -- the U.S. has a Consulate, not an Embassy in Chiang Mai. If the OP is going to use a Thai bank account (instead of Consulate Income Letter) to prove financial worth, then he should open the account soon after arriving so his money can "season" for 60 days prior to his application for the first 12-month retirement extension. In subsequent years, the funds will have to sit untouched for 90 days prior to application for the annual extension.

The fee for a re-entry permit is 1000 baht or 3800 baht for multi (unlimited) re-entry permit. Not 5000 baht.

The major reason to use a visa agent in Chiang Mai might be to avoid the long queues, but perhaps now that the new Immigration office is opening next week at Promenada, the 4 am queue time for retirement extensions may become a distant memory. Let's hope Chiang Mai becomes like other provinces where us retirees can show up at Immigration at a civilized hour, say 8 am, confident that we'll get our extension applications granted that day and not be told we're too late, come back earlier tomorrow.

Thank you for the corrections.. You are right.

I am not interested in a retirement visa right now. The Non Imm O visa is the way to go for me I believe now after talking to the embassy today. They do issue the NON IMM O visa in New York City according to the person at the consulate I talked with this afternoon. The retirement visa is another issue all unto itself. Since I have not lived in the USA for over 14 years it is difficult to get all the paperwork they want from here....I will wait till I lived in Thailand to consider that.

Copied from the embassy pages in NYC:

Required documents for Non-Immigration-O visas

1. One application form
  2. Two passport-size photographs (2x2 inches)
  3. Passport (valid for at least the next 6 months)
  4. For family visits, the applicant must provide proof of relationship to the family member and proof of Thai citizenship for that family member.
  5. A copy of airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight no., date of entry and name.
  6. Visa fee

The O-A visa for long stay (retirement) is also issued according to the person I talked to at the embassy today, so maybe your information is outdated or incorrect, unless the person at the embassy does not know what he is talking about...

So once again I reiterate, when posting information here, one needs to be sure what is correct as of today and not from past experiences.

"So once again I reiterate, when posting information here, one needs to be sure what is correct as of today and not from past experiences."
Please, please, please don't move to Chiang Mai. We already have enough know-it-all assclowns running around this city.
Listen to ubonjoe whose credibility on this particular forum is impeccable, Mr. I-Have-Ten-Posts-and-I-Came-Here-Asking-For-Help.

We don't want him in Phuket either. Maybe Hua Hin will take him. Hua Hin you listening? He's all yours.

A inflammatory post has been removed.

Since this topic has degenerated into personal attacks and bickering it is now closed.

If the OP has more questions or needs assistance he can start a new topic.

mfr_closed1.gif