Watching The Breaking News

sadman

Just watching the news here in Britain and seeing pictures of tanks on the streets of Bangkok. We are thinking of you and hope all is well. And I still wish I was there.

toothfairy and sadman

Thanks for your note sadman..

Certainly gonna be an intresting few days thats for sure........

And to think at 10.30am I was so happy to find out that my pregnant wife will be giving birth to a baby boy in 4 months...

Now Im wondering.... overdramaticlly no doubt as to weather Ill actually be here to see him ???

Just watching the news here in Britain and seeing pictures of tanks on the streets of Bangkok. We are thinking of you and hope all is well. And I still wish I was there.

toothfairy and sadman

Let's hope every thing will be ok very soon...........

Trying to watch some news on television, UBC seems blocked, only one TV channel available.

Going back tomorrow morning for work(airport)

guess a lot people will fly back home in a rush..........

Banks will closed tomorrow(just on TV)

Gerd

:o

toothfairy and sadman

Those tanks are M48A3s, circa 1960s. Wow those are really old tanks but they sure look all nice and shiny in the streets of Bangkok. In all my experience in the military I have never seen a shiny tank before...of course I am seeing M16s, circa 1960s. It can still kill ya but I wouldn't ride into battle in on of those old boys. It is the first coup where the those instigating the coup apologize to the people for any inconvenience. Coup, Thai style.

toothfairy and sadman

I talked to my wife in Phitsanulok and she says she can't see too much of a change except for the tele not working just right of course. She doesn't seem to be too worried about it...I wonder if this is the general consensus of most Thai people (except maybe for up north where Thaskins support comes from). That is another thing, it was the work of the King that kept the communists from comming to power in the north, way back when, when he showed that he cared for them and pushed for agricultural reform and the such. Since Thaskin had most of his support from the North and he seems to be on the outs, will this turn any of the north against the King? It would be dangerous for Bangkok to dismiss the thoughts of the Thais to the north.

toothfairy and sadman

Thanks ... all is calm here

Thanks Toothfary and Sadman!

All is quiet here. In fact apart from the gorgeous weather :o it is so nice as there is hardly any traffic on the roads.

Hope you guys are well and big hugs to Alex!

Well it's getting colder here. Hopefully pur flights out next month won't be affected, so we'll see you towards the end of October for dum nam mak ma!

business as usual here. i see no reason for people to change their plans, and i have seen no military here at all.

the good thing yesterday was that the drive to work was a little quieter than normal.

no need to worry about anythign as far as im concerned.

can i come dum naam too?

business as usual here. i see no reason for people to change their plans, and i have seen no military here at all.

the good thing yesterday was that the drive to work was a little quieter than normal.

no need to worry about anythign as far as im concerned.

can i come dum naam too?

Anytime Donna! JD is coming to dam nam too! PM me if you need any info. Also Toothfairy and Sadman we look forward to seeing you in October again. In the meantime enjoy the lousy weather there :o

Phuket celebrates coup

PHUKET: -- Phuket celebrated the peaceful coup in Bangkok yesterday by taking advantage of the military declared national holiday. While banks and government offices closed for the day shops and bars remained open and busy.

Central Festival was reported to have had shortages in car park space, as did both Tesco Lotus and Big C, but there has been no reported stockpiling of necessities such as rice or water but many convenience stores claim to have seen a run on beer, whisky and cigarettes.

Phuket has never been a Thaksin or Thai Rak Thai stronghold so it was of little surprise that a number of bars and restaurants celebrated the ousting of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra with free drinks and special discounts for customers.

Such was the laid back reaction of local Thai citizens to the events in Bangkok that one tourist described the mood as "Between upbeat and downright happy" and also commented that "Phuket's tourist industry seems to be completely unchanged and unaffected by this, in fact the whole country seems to be relieved if anything!"

--Phuket Post 2006-09-21