BKK Ethiopian Restaurant is BACK (Again)!

elVagabundo

I was very sad to find a few weeks back that my favorite and, admittedly, the ONLY Ethiopian restaurant in BKK, Habesha (on soi 3), had not only been closed down, but entirely gutted. When I went to have dinner there back in June the whole ground floor where the restaurant had been was just... gone. No "we moved sign", nothing.

So you can imagine my happiness when I was walking through the area yesterday and found that it has reopened, across the street!! biggrin.png It is now located on the 3rd floor of a building directly across from Nana Square (on soi 3, the one with the Pizza Company, Burger King, Market on the basement floor).

I haven't tried their food at this new location yet, but will do so soon and will be sure to report back. Hopefully their food is still just as delicious!

post-222882-0-91931700-1437020917_thumb.

post-222882-0-28831600-1437020929_thumb.

Went to their new location for lunch and the food is still delicious! thumbsup.gif The new restaurant is right off of the 3rd floor elevator. It is a bit smaller than their prior location, but more brightly lit and a bit more welcoming.

A friend and I each ordered a Vegetarian Sampler plate for 300B each and were totally stuffed, one split between multiple people would serve as a nice snack though. Food arrived in a timely manner for Thailand (25minutes or so after ordering).

Great place for Ethiopian food and a great place for Vegetarians and meat lovers alike.

My only note would be that the place seems to turn into a club at night, so it's probably best to go for lunch, unless you would like to have a "real cultural experience" wink.png.

I forget what Ethiopian bread is called but do they make that fresh?...love it.

Used to be an Ethiopian restaurant near my home in the US. Only ate there a few times but they had some great stew like dishes. I'll have to give Habesha a try

Mrs. and I also love Ethiopian food and I will at least give you the point that it's the best Ethiopian in town... I'd be willing to try it again though in the new location.

They do make their own injera, but I don't think they use proper teft flour so it ends up being more of a pancake.

Edited by DirtyDan

• 1 month later...

Help! I don't understand how to find this place. Can someone be so kind as to give detailed directions. Such as which BTS stop which exit and then what. The seemingly current item on TripAdvisor is very confusing. It indicates BTS stop Asok but then a reviewer says its right near Bumrungrad

OK. Yes it's really not that hard after all.

BTS to Nana.

Exit 1.

Walk in direction of BTS Ploenchit

See map

When you see Nana Plaza shopping center on a corner do not cross that street.

Instead turn to your right.

Royal Tailors is on that corner.

A small hotel just to the left of the tailors.

There you will see a sign about Habesha Ethiopian.

Get in elevator right on the street!

3rd floor you are there.

I forget what Ethiopian bread is called but do they make that fresh?...love it.

Used to be an Ethiopian restaurant near my home in the US. Only ate there a few times but they had some great stew like dishes. I'll have to give Habesha a try

I worked in Ethiopia for 9 months and loved the food. I have to say that the one thing I didn't like was injeera.

They do love their meat though which suits me just fine.

I once went to a restaurant the night before they fast for 30 days (no meat or dairy). They were eating raw meat for starters whilst they waitef for the main course to cook.

I will give this place a try next time in BKK.

Well the flavor is better than you'd expect in Thailand. If you have a craving for Ethiopian flavor it should more than satisfy. But I had some pretty major issues with what the menu promised matching what I got and bitching about didn't get any fix offers. Also this is the first Ethiopian place I've ever been to that didn't offer side injera besides the plate. Asked for that and refused. The waiter spoke English but didn't seem to understand what awaze sauce was (for the tibs which weren't really tibs) or even if the injera was made with teff. I thought the injera was acceptable. I've had worse. It's supposed to be like a soft pancake that soaks up the flavors. I've seen other media commenting about not getting what you ordered. In my case will be obligated to pay full anyway as it was a set price on a beef combo that offered a sample of 6, got 4 and of those 4 not really matches from the menu promise. I would guess you might be better off with the veggie combo here anyway based on the meat I had. Originally wanted lamb combo but no lamb so had the beef combo instead. That's not my complaint. It's about how the food did not match the description of the beef combo. A good order for 2 might be a veggie combo plus a full order of meat such as Doro war. I have a strong hunch the meat dishes might be better ordered that way.

Also I have a question for those who have tried the veggie combo. The menu is hard to read there but it seems to promise a sample of all 7 of their veggie dishes? Did you really all get 7?

To add my beef combo order also promised some salad for included which was another thing that was missing. I didn't even complain about that because it's usually only some lettuce and tomato drenched in oil on top of the inner a which I didn't really miss.

Edited by Jingthing

I will add even at lunch it was kind of night clubby. The crowd seemed more African like Congo than Ethiopian. I would agree at night probably avoid and go for lunch. I realize my comments sound crabby but I really was annoyed. If the waiter had told me what I really was going to get I would have ordered differently. But I do appreciate that these flavors are available in Thailand.

Also I do my crabby comments may help others have a better ordering experience. However do not expect their policies to change.

Edited by Jingthing

Why avoid the club at night?

Nobody is stopping you.

The food service was bad enough when it wasn't full with party men.

I assume the audience here is for people looking for the best possible restaurant experience there.

It's not a thread about nightclubs with African karaoke. I'm sure it would rate there.

Edited by Jingthing