Thai Army bases selling cheap food to public

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next they'll open a stand in a food court, such as at Siam Paragon. Then people will be able to compare prices.

If they do I hope that the management don't put them next to one selling sandwiches!

Might cause a bit of a fuss don't you know...

There will always be people who have nothing good to say or have some smartass remarks to make about the army. But to the poorer people who can buy their food cheap, this is a good thing.

So who is subsidising this? The army or the General population through taxes?

Of course it looks good on the army and I have no doubt it is appreciated, but its hardly coming out of army personnel money as some kind of benevolent act!

Just like the rice scam! Except poor people might actually benefit, and it won't cost a trillion baht.

I like Meatloaf - "bat out of hell - I saw paradise in the dashboard light" was one of the all time greats. But MREs were not a patch on Compo. The old tinned variety, cheese possessed, spina bifida chicken, babies heads,tubes off condensed milk and 20 year old bars of chocolate sealed in a tin. We kept the Russians east of the Elbe for 40 years on a diet of that (and Herforder Pils)! Don't listen to Haggis, only a boy could get excited about strawberry milkshake in a packet!

Don't forget those compo sausages made with real meat, tinned bacon, oatmeal blocks and that wonderful shiny toilet paper.

Ever tried heating bacon grill when you aren't actually soaked and starving? That was one ******* foul product. They should have tried frying a few slices at Guantanamo Bay. I'd have said anything to avoid that smell.

Lucky for me I was RAF and didn't get to eat it too often except on field exercises with the Harriers from Wildenrath and on mini and tacevals at Brize Norton in the 3 years before I came out. The smartest thing I ever did in Germany was to volunteer as the tin wash man working with the cooks. I NEVER starved and the cooks had to go to a base somewhere every day to have a shower. I went too and we could always find the NAAFI or a German pub on the way home.

I like Meatloaf - "bat out of hell - I saw paradise in the dashboard light" was one of the all time greats. But MREs were not a patch on Compo. The old tinned variety, cheese possessed, spina bifida chicken, babies heads,tubes off condensed milk and 20 year old bars of chocolate sealed in a tin. We kept the Russians east of the Elbe for 40 years on a diet of that (and Herforder Pils)! Don't listen to Haggis, only a boy could get excited about strawberry milkshake in a packet!

Don't forget those compo sausages made with real meat, tinned bacon, oatmeal blocks and that wonderful shiny toilet paper.

Sorry to go off topic gents, but why on earth would anyone join the army if the vile food is any indication of how much they value your service?

because you also got to, go sailing, kite surfing, swimming, canoeing, abseiling, scuba diving, skydiving, trench digging, endless tabbing oh and kill bad people!! biggrin.pngwink.png

Add to that I went gliding and got posted to some great places and had a wonderful time, got paid for it plus allowance too.

I did a year in Bahrain, 3 1/4 years in Singapore, 2 1/2 years in Germany got detatched to Hong Kong, Germany 3 times, Libya 4 times, Gibraltar, Malaysia, just missed 2 year at Offut Air base in Nebraska.

Also I never killed any people, bad or good.

If you guys think Army food is bad you should have tried the Marine mess at Sembawang in Singapore, that was foul. I am sure they collected the slops from all the other bases and fed it to the bootnecks.

RAF grub was usually pretty good and you could always go off base to eat.

There will always be people who have nothing good to say or have some smartass remarks to make about the army. But to the poorer people who can buy their food cheap, this is a good thing.

You don't need to be a smartass to know this as payed by tax money, so its not the Army playing Santa Claus, but just us, we, Tax payers !

Army budget up with 7%, so easy to "sell" food at no profit nor loss.

But yes, there will always some smartass to make remarks without having a clue.

Lucky for me I was RAF and didn't get to eat it too often except on field exercises with the Harriers from Wildenrath and on mini and tacevals at Brize Norton in the 3 years before I came out. The smartest thing I ever did in Germany was to volunteer as the tin wash man working with the cooks. I NEVER starved and the cooks had to go to a base somewhere every day to have a shower. I went too and we could always find the NAAFI or a German pub on the way home.

Yes. smile.png

I remember the end of Lionheart when we were in the hands of the RAF. "Here's a box of food until the real food is ready - we'll announce it. Follow that piece of mine tape to get a brew. That marquee is showing film "x", and that one there is showing film "y"". They really planned their comfort first. Stil, mustn't grumble. On the flight back one of them had to make a quick decision on whether officer cadets had to turn right or left getting onto the plane, and included us in the Brideshead Revisited group, which meant we didn't have to listen to the applecorn-fueled jocks talking about what they were going to do when they got home. Mind you, sometimes I liked listening to them.

"As soon as I get hame I'm ripping aff the wife's knickers"

"Ur ye?"

"Aye. The elastic's digging intae ma legs".

So the army are branching out into retail...

What next.... 7-11's with camouflage signs so you drive straight past them without noticing them..

It's called helping the people, this is a good thing they are doing...One of the best things I have seen in LOS.

Rubbish. It is populist politics... exactly what the Thaksin haters bang on about. Vote buying... (not that they expect any voting to occur). This, the set top box freebie scheme, and something else... can't remember. This regime is worse though, because they grandstand, and claim the moral high ground which is laughable.