If You Are Planning A Trip To Thailand Now

ThaiPauly

myself,my wife and 3 month old son were planning to visit thailand and bangkok over the xmas period and into january....

i am seriously considering cancelling our trip...

i think i will leave it a couple of weeks and see hows things pan out, but if the military are still in place by end of october i will cancel for sure....

theres no way i want to spend a family holiday in that kind of atmosphere and for the security of my family i wouldnt take that risk.

i hate to say this, but this coup has really set thailand back 15 years on an international scale. in regards to tourism and business, i mean who wants to do business with a country that has coups evreyother year!

im just counting my blessing that i never set home in thailand, and my plans for leaving there for a year may have ot to reconsider.

i never thought this would happen and its so sad.....i can say for sure that tourism will be dented in thailand in turn a downturn for the economy etc...

things look very bleak from here in the UK in regards to thailand....i know of at least 4 people who had planned to visit have now cancelled....its worrying...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to go on a business trip next week. I also planed to look for a house to rent rent and move to bkk with my family. But now, everythiing looks different. I will probably not go , and I am not sure if we will move there next year. Will have a company emergency meeting in an hour , and we probably put our whole 10 million $ thailand project on hold until further news.

As someone pointed out ... probably best for you ....

me and my boyfriend are due to travel to bangkok in a little over a month... we spoke about it thismorning and are both confident that nothing is going to stop us from enjoying our holiday!! Hopefully things will be sorted out by then anyway.

For all visitors, come on over and join in the festivities! Today was back to business as usual, curfew cancelled, went out shopping, talking shop with soldiers on the street (my home is near an army base), early evening jog.....

Nobody will let anything happen (I believe) to the visitors bringing in the revenue. Plus, Bangkokians generally dislike the former PM and his party anyway (proof of the Governor of Bangkok being from an opposing party). Besides the inevitable re-shuffling in all government agencies (like the new Suvarnabhumi Airport), everything should be back to normal in no time.

An added bonus: a weaker Thai baht to yield more spending for visitors! Thanks General Sondhi!!!! You da man!!

Oops, be aware of the new immigration laws though. For those of you thinking of visiting and not actually leaving anytime soon! I hope that law gets tossed out as well with the PM!

myself,my wife and 3 month old son were planning to visit thailand and bangkok over the xmas period and into january....

i think i will leave it a couple of weeks and see hows things pan out, but if the military are still in place by end of october i will cancel for sure....

theres no way i want to spend a family holiday in that kind of atmosphere and for the security of my family i wouldnt take that risk.

i hate to say this, but this coup has really set thailand back 15 years on an international scale. in regards to tourism and business, i mean who wants to do business with a country that has coups evreyother year!

im just counting my blessing that i never set home in thailand, and my plans for leaving there for a year may have ot to reconsider.

i never thought this would happen and its so sad.....i can say for sure that tourism will be dented in thailand in turn a downturn for the economy etc...

things look very bleak from here in the UK in regards to thailand....i know of at least 4 people who had planned to visit have now cancelled....its worrying...

I must be misunderstanding something!

How has this affected you as an individual? or your family? You are talking about atmosphere and security, yet its just another day here - no-one has died, nothing bad has happened. I'm intrigued that people who are so scared of anything out of the ordinary would even consider a holiday here in the first place, let alone consider relocating.

Do people just assume that Thailand is like the US, UK, Europe etc.... but hotter? The people cancelling their holidays are the same people who sit indoors back in England petrified about SARSm or bird flu - I don't know how you guys ever got up the courage to visit another country in the first place.

it will affect me if i bring my wife and child to bangkok in the middle of a coup! how can you say it won't ? or have you no concept of safety?

i dont't know about you but i don't take family holidays where there is martial law...or where there are tanks on the streets...u say its safe....how can you be sure? tomorrow there could be blood spilt...i dont do risks with my family i have more sense than that....

and as for sars etc..i was in thailand when sars was about...i took the precautions but i didnt feel totally at ease....

whats the point of a holiday if your not at ease with your safety and the ease that there isnt gonna be a battle on the streets....

and dont talk to me about being afraid...i grew up in Belfast in the hieght of the troubles, ive been there done that....and theres no way i would want to go on holiday to somewhere where there is a risk of violence or chaos..!

get real...or maybe you have been living in thailand too long...perhaps you would like a visit iraq? i hear its nice this time of year...u risk taker u...oooohh... :o

Edited by Belfastboy

I must be misunderstanding something!

How has this affected you as an individual? or your family? You are talking about atmosphere and security, yet its just another day here - no-one has died, nothing bad has happened. I'm intrigued that people who are so scared of anything out of the ordinary would even consider a holiday here in the first place, let alone consider relocating.

Do people just assume that Thailand is like the US, UK, Europe etc.... but hotter? The people cancelling their holidays are the same people who sit indoors back in England petrified about SARSm or bird flu - I don't know how you guys ever got up the courage to visit another country in the first place.

Really, I'd rather be in the UK and wait for for more bus bombings or crazies boarding a plane? Wake up people, after living here for 5 years, Thailand is still a million times safer than the US and Europe!

This so called democracy and coup over in Thailand is child's play compared to what's going on everywhere else.

By nature, Thais will not let this political embarassment destroy with their ways of life. Life will go on.

By all means, come on over here and experience the real Thailand for yourself. The actions of a few thousand do not reflect the rest of the 60 million. I think this world is all a bit 'overdosed' on media exposure....

it will affect me if i bring my wife and child to bangkok in the middle of a coup! how can you say it won't ? or have you no concept of safety?

i dont't know about you but i don't take family holidays where there is martial law...or where there are tanks on the streets...u say its safe....how can you be sure? tomorrow there could be blood spilt...i dont do risks with my family i have more sense than that....

and as for sars etc..i was in thailand when sars was about...i took the precautions but i didnt feel totally at ease....

whats the point of a holiday if your not at ease with your safety and the ease that there isnt gonna be a battle on the streets....

and dont talk to me about being afraid...i grew up in Belfast in the hieght of the troubles, ive been there done that....and theres no way i would want to go on holiday to somewhere where there is a risk of violence or chaos..!

get real...or maybe you have been living in thailand too long...perhaps you would like a visit iraq? i hear its nice this time of year...u risk taker u...oooohh... :o

Not at all...

More people died from choking or electrocuting themselves with batteries than died in the same time during the whole of the SARS scare (from SARS), or indeed from eating Peanuts.... I'm assuming you don't use any sort of battery or any of your family consume any sort of seed or nut.

Thailand was at no point ever going to be 100% safe, why would you want to come here at all?

I don't know of any place that is 100% safe from the risk of violence or chaos, I feel safer here than in the UK - I'm surprised you even managed to book a plane ticket considering all the terrorists that are out to get you.

My wife & I went to bangkok today arrived from pattaya at 7-00am we never knew there was anything wrong untill we arrived and there was army on the streets. I was going to the british embassy with my wife but it was closed. I found it a all a bit bizarre with everyone just getting on with there life"s as if nothing had happened. I did not feel that I was in any danger as I was in thailand when there was a coup years ago . I will be going back to bangkok on friday if the embassy is open again, life goes on.

Guys...fair play to you......if you feel happy in Thailand at the minute, good for ya..

all im saying is that i wont be visiting while there is a coup on...is that radical?

no where is safe true! ....but i can think of more pleasant places to visit that arent under martial law...

and if things change back to normal i will visit, of course i will...

but just keep your eye on the airport and watch the numbers drop...

i'd far rather be here in the UK..than in bangkok at the minute...IMO

SO WAKE UP GUYS...U ARE UNDER MARTIAL LAW...thats the ironic thing about it, u think its normal.....!

better safe than sorry...and if you feel good in thailand with the south in chaos and tanks on the streets, well good for u....not exactly a family holiday destination at present...

the tourist numbers will tell the tale

I'd say it will have to get a whole lot worse for me to cancel my next couple of planned visits.

Military leaders loyal to TS actually starting a shooting war with the present rebels would have to make me consider for a short time..... but still want to see the daughter so I guess it would have to be pretty bad, for me to cancel now.

Good Luck

Moss

No matter the cause, it still smacks of serious mis-givings when a democratically elected leader is ousted by military means.

But don't think we are a million miles away from this type of event in the UK, by all reports Wilson was within a whisker of being ousted by the military in the mid '70's because of his policies, this was only averted by Mountbatten refusing to sanction it and take charge!

Moss

I'd say it will have to get a whole lot worse for me to cancel my next couple of planned visits.

Military leaders loyal to TS actually starting a shooting war with the present rebels would have to make me consider for a short time..... but still want to see the daughter so I guess it would have to be pretty bad, for me to cancel now.

Good Luck

Moss

No matter the cause, it still smacks of serious mis-givings when a democratically elected leader is ousted by military means.

But don't think we are a million miles away from this type of event in the UK, by all reports Wilson was within a whisker of being ousted by the military in the mid '70's because of his policies, this was only averted by Mountbatten refusing to sanction it and take charge!

Moss

We should add the words 'democratic' and 'democracy' to the over-used and abused word list. In recent cases (yesterday), it's used as a cover for a corrupt government.

It's a wonder what a 'democratically elected leader' can to with bottles of fish sauce and 500 baht bills. Bangkokians know better (as seen by the truly elected 'Democratic Party' Governor of Bangkok). Those silly country folk!

We should add the words 'democratic' and 'democracy' to the over-used and abused word list. In recent cases (yesterday), it's used as a cover for a corrupt government.

Whether a gov't is corrupt or not, a democracy is a democracy, and by definition, a democracy 'is a gov't by the people or their elected representatives'.

However, if democratically elected representatives have been elected by foul means, that would put a different light on things, at this point he has not been convicted of vote rigging, as far as I am aware, so no matter how the term sticks in your craw, he is democratically elected.

Moss

Last I checked BKK isnt thailand, so those silly country folk have more power than the BKK elite. (annoys the BKK elite to no end)

Very true, and very true, and very true. That is the make up of Thailand: Bangkok and the rest of Thailand. Let's hope it stays separate or else nobody would come here for a visit. Imagine all of Thailand like Bangkok? Heeeeell no!

My point is that the 'country folk' don't know any better than to think their so called 'leader' will make good on his promise to help improve life in the rural areas when the only promise was to help improve his family and friends'. PM was smart...power in the masses.

Thailand hasn't had a real government since April this year yet life went on as always.

Politics give Thailand such a bad name! Come for a visit! Thailand is still beautiful in every way!

Belfast - bit over the top arent you??? If things remain the way they are then I think its safe to say things will be alright. Realistically it will take a year or so before a legit govt is elected to take the appointed govt's place. So you will wait that long? :o

i may be overeacting a bit, true...

but the question originally is would i visit thailand now?

the answer would be no...and as long as the coup goes on i wont be visiting, thats my opinion and decision.

if things are normal and have panned out ok, of course i will go...but as things stand currently , the answer is no...sorry

im just reflecting the broad feeling among the tourists planning to visit..not expats or people with family in thailand....

just keep an eye on the tourism...it will be effected big time...already australia and new zealand embassies have told tourists to stay away....

just a few articles in the media at the minute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5362924.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5361276.stm

Yes, definitely still coming in 2 weeks to see my new love xxxxxxxx from my last visit in June, and to seek a teaching job at a rate more than the minimum needed for a work permit. LOS still evidently safer than many town centres here in UK on a Friday or Saturday night. I've also visited Zimbabwe often over the last 3-4 years, and was in Cape Town when security guards went on the rampage a few months ago. I knew nothing about it until I read about it the next morning! I recognise the comment of the business investor, as sentiment seems to be more important than reality in such decisions. I find many reactions to such events as the coup comical more than anything else. I might think twice about visiting the southern provinces, and certainly some other places around the world.

It seems the coup is now history in the media here in the UK. I was expecting to see a media scrum at Gatwick. Thailand was the 3rd item after a more news worthy aggressive heckler at a meeting addressed by the Home Secretary.

When Thailand did appear, the tanks are surrounded by crowd crush barriers, as they are now a tourist attraction! And I've not heard of an explicit comment, but I imagine the bars have been open tonight.

PS though, he appears to have just got off his plane, so no media scrum possible yet. Quote "he may seek permission to stay a while". I wonder what the immigration officer willl say! But I hear now that he was fast tracked away in minutes, and he probably has a multiple re-entry visa anyway. It could be revoked, but the Home Secretary has his heckler to think about. I know of far worthier Zimbabweans who wanted to stay a while and were bundled onto planes back home!!

Come Oct 5! For 4 weeks until I get my teaching job.

Belfast - bit over the top arent you??? If things remain the way they are then I think its safe to say things will be alright. Realistically it will take a year or so before a legit govt is elected to take the appointed govt's place. So you will wait that long? :o

the answer would be no...and as long as the coup goes on i wont be visiting, thats my opinion and decision.

if things are normal and have panned out ok, of course i will go...but as things stand currently , the answer is no...sorry

im just reflecting the broad feeling among the tourists planning to visit..not expats or people with family in thailand....

just keep an eye on the tourism...it will be effected big time...already australia and new zealand embassies have told tourists to stay away....

You are right. Better safe than sorry. Tourism will be affected. For those adventurers, you would enjoy a plethora of discounted rates!

You mentioned Australia & New Zealand putting out warnings. Those countries would be nice for a family visit!

At 11.00 on 6th October 2006 I fully intend to be sinking into my seat on an Etihad Airlines Boeing 777 and sipping my first glass of champagne at the start of a 2 week visit to BKK.

I've lived in Africa during the bush wars in Rhodesia, in Russia during the end of communism.. there and in Israel while bombs were going off daily in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

I've also lived in Thailand and never felt safer in my life at whatever time of the day or night.

I sincerely doubt anyone would say they had been endorsed by HM when they hadn't. Bit risky that and highly unlikely, imo.

That said, lets put all speculation on royal intentions aside and please only discuss what has actually been reported.

I agree that this coup is very likely to be concluded without any trouble. However the word 'coup' scares people and tourism is likely to be affected for a bit! Remember tourism dropped off in the UK during the first gulf war as a lot of Americans were worried about flying over Iraq!!!!! Some people you can't rationale with!

Further to my post earlier.....

I have since spoken to my female Thai friend and she says her and her friends are very happy with what has happened. They see no problem with any of this and think too many westerners are making a big deal of the coup.

So, as I said earlier.... I am still going to Thailand and will be happy to.

For those still considering whether to go or not to go - a family with children has to be a concern and worth a re-think - but for the rest of us, the rest of the world has enough unrest so maybe you should stay at home behind your reinforced doors, watch coronation street or something until you become cabbages :o

Unfortunately I have not trips planned back in the near future, but if I did it would not change a thing in fact what has been happening recently makes me want to return even more to see all my Thai friends and chat with them and find out their opiniions.

I have some younger friends who are off on their gap year trip on Monday, flying into Bkk and they are bricking it about the events of the last week, they have plan b's, c's etc and no amount of telling them not to worry from me will help to aleviate their fears, but im sure once there immersed in the Kao Sarn road they will forget what was ever happeining :o

After todays Coup?

Especially if your holiday was mainly focused on Bangkok?

well pauly,

if you had no knowledge of los you would possibly panic and cancell your trip.

people that know los have come to accept the status quo for what it is and carry on as usual.

after all this is how things work in los and after the last coup this a play time and was well over due.

i think this is # 18 in the last 70 years and definately wont be the last.

i think we can drink to that one. :D

cheers :o

Guess you won't be coming for about a year Belfast .... So sorry you feel that way! But you are right it is your choice :D