Does interns get paid in Thailand?

I will start my Master's Degree in engineering at KMUTNB next month and will probably have to work during the summer holiday. As I want to have a relevant internship I wonder if the interns in Thailand gets paid? Because I've heard from several people that they don't, and from some other people that they do. Does someone have experience or knowledge of this?

I'm have a dual citizenship (thai/swe) if that matters. smile.png

I don't believe businesses in Thailand are required to pay interns. I know of one actual internship and that student is not being paid. The labor department did an onsite inspection of the workplace, was informed about the intern, and raised no objection.

I did an unpaid internship in Bangkok last summer. Like you, it was for my master's degree. Here's my advice:

1. Forget about all that BS your school tells you about internships. Forget about pay, valuable experiences or relevance to your field of study.

2. Get an internship as a personal assistant to someone powerful. Don't look for an availability, but request your internship directly from the source.

3. Be intelligent and flexible. Be available to help your supervisor and their colleagues on whatever they need. Do an excellent job even without pay.

4. Forge long-term relationships. Use your supervisor and their connections to land yourself a good job after you graduate.

5. PROFIT

I am now living and working in Bangkok just 8 months after I graduated with my master's degree from the US. I work for an international organization that pays me an American salary. Were it not for my internship, I would probably be working as an English teacher for a fraction of my pay. The connections of my supervisor and his friends were invaluable for landing me my current job. We Americans often say it's not what you know, but who know. I am still good friends with my former supervisor.

We accept a few interns in their field of study each year. We take it seriously and give these people as much exposure as possible. There is no mandatory payment, but we usually give the interns small monthly stipend on a voluntary basis.

This practice has been a win-win for us, as we have been able to identify some really talented people who wound up working for us after completing their studies.

Many other companies unfortunately use internships as a source of free labor and there doesn't seem to be much in place to prevent this.

It depends on the company but all the interns I have ever heard of in Thailand weren't paid. Most needed good connections to get the internship. Thai companies will usually only accept the kids of owners of companies they would like to get business from as interns, regardless of qualifications. I used to work for a global financial company in Thailand and they issued a 'no interns' edict in Asia because they thought they were just a distraction, as some one had to take time from their own job to train them, which was usually my experience too. My present company hired an overseas masters degree graduate on the basis that he had spent several months as a free intern with one of our competitors after graduation but he turned out to be almost useless.

I think Honeyskunk has the right idea. Don't expect any remuneration, as that will limit possible employers in thailand to virtually zero. Use any connections you have and write to companies you would to work for offering your services for free. If you need money, apply to McDonalds or Starbucks as a minimum wage burger flipper or barista and give up the chance of getting something useful on your resume.

I did an unpaid internship in Bangkok last summer. Like you, it was for my master's degree. Here's my advice:

1. Forget about all that BS your school tells you about internships. Forget about pay, valuable experiences or relevance to your field of study.

2. Get an internship as a personal assistant to someone powerful. Don't look for an availability, but request your internship directly from the source.

3. Be intelligent and flexible. Be available to help your supervisor and their colleagues on whatever they need. Do an excellent job even without pay.

4. Forge long-term relationships. Use your supervisor and their connections to land yourself a good job after you graduate.

5. PROFIT

I am now living and working in Bangkok just 8 months after I graduated with my master's degree from the US. I work for an international organization that pays me an American salary. Were it not for my internship, I would probably be working as an English teacher for a fraction of my pay. The connections of my supervisor and his friends were invaluable for landing me my current job. We Americans often say it's not what you know, but who know. I am still good friends with my former supervisor.

.... Get an internship as a personal assistant to someone powerful. Don't look for an availability, but request your internship directly from the source......

This is the most true and useful advise you can get in your career. Find a mentor who is an industry leader and you will fly.

Thank you for all the answers!

I'm asking because I won't get any fundings from the Swedish government during the summer break and I need money for rent and food. I have no intention to become rich during the internship, just survive. :)

A solution would be to save money so I can survive for three months or go back to Sweden and work during the summer holiday. But my intention of studying in Thailand is too make new contacts here and to get a good job in Thailand after I graduate. With that in mind, I believe that an internship in Thailand would be very helpful for me.

Wait...

Sweden? Summer break? Master's degree?

You wouldn't happen to be coming to Thailand to be with a particular girl, would you? This story sounds awfully familiar...

No, I took my Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering in Sweden and I want to take my Master's Degree here in Thailand because I want to live here afterwards.

I came here all alone with no such intentions. wink.png

Wait...

Sweden? Summer break? Master's degree?

You wouldn't happen to be coming to Thailand to be with a particular girl, would you? This story sounds awfully familiar...

No, I took my Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering in Sweden and I want to take my Master's Degree here in Thailand because I want to live here afterwards.

I came here all alone with no such intentions. wink.png

What are the odds? My girlfriend recently told me a similar story about her work friend who has a Swedish boyfriend coming to Thailand during summer break from college.

Archived