Thai editorial: The folly of hunting lese majeste fugitives abroad

webfact

A lot of actions seem to be about control inside the country and they really don't care about outside opinion. Google "A Thai House Divided" and you can get a bit of sense for how many factions are vying for a piece of the pie and that ultimate control.

The irony of the Thai lèse-majesté laws is that they were created by the Junta after overthrow of the king in 1933.

So it would seem the laws serve a dual role in the protection of the military from criticism and protest.

Is that so? Interesting. The military has a lot to answer for.

At last, some sense on this issue. And about time, too.

Unfortunately arthurboy I think you are dreaming. Some sense world wide, BUT not in Thailand! It seems the rich and powerful will retain "laws" that suit them coffee1.gif

The irony of the Thai lèse-majesté laws is that they were created by the Junta after overthrow of the king in 1933.

So it would seem the laws serve a dual role in the protection of the military from criticism and protest.

Is that so? Interesting. The military has a lot to answer for.

The military do not answer to anyone! sad.png

My question is who comes up with the idea to pursue these people when they know there is zero chance of it working? Isn't that a definition of insanity?

For domestic consumption, to put the frighteners on one's adversaries. 'You can run, but you can't hide' and all that...

Here is the slammer on this issue:

When being voted in as In this case I will use the Office of Prime Minister. Before you can be seated your appointment must be approved By the King, Queen or Regent... Fact​ !

So would not any offense committed by the Prime Minister be a "Slap" against the Royal Seat? Or in other words a pure and simple case of Lese Majeste??​

and why has it been ignored by the Judical and Military Systems here? Any conviction under these grounds would certainly also convey a Lifetime Ban on any attachment to any Political Office.

Lets see if this is ignored again, and on what grounds...

I must say I was amused by the comment about 'routine police work'.

Quite obviously, inept police work is the norm and is accompanied by astonishing laziness, greed and indifference to the public good.

Is there any doubt why people would be suspicious of one particular law, the enforcement of which exceeds the zeal of all other laws combined?

Imagine, for instance, if they pursued drunk driving or child neglect cases with a fraction of the zeal reserved for LM posturing. What tangible societal good that would do.

When being voted in as In this case I will use the Office of Prime Minister. Before you can be seated your appointment must be approved By the King, Queen or Regent... Fact​ !

So would not any offense committed by the Prime Minister be a "Slap" against the Royal Seat? Or in other words a pure and simple case of Lese Majeste??​

and why has it been ignored by the Judical and Military Systems here? Any conviction under these grounds would certainly also convey a Lifetime Ban on any attachment to any Political Office.

David, surely by such logic you would agree that removal of the PM without explicit royal approval would constitute a grave offence?

I think a lot of people here don't quite understand the bigger picture here and why Les Majeste is being enforced so rigidly.

Is it a coincidence that most of the offenders are red-shirts ?.

The King is the one person who enjoys the confidence and the support of the majority of Thai people. It's common knowledge amongst Thais that certain people have long seen that as an obstacle to complete power.

I agree completely that it is a draconian and outdated way of stopping efforts to solve that problem, but Thais are famous for deciding on ways of doing things which are ludicrous to the outside world.

The communists want rid of the rich 'elite'. They make no secret about that. Someone needs to tell them that communism doesn't work. As Maggie Thatcher said about it : "You soon run out of other peoples money".

I would think it best for Thai people to decide what style of govt they want. But they are not allowed.

They already did that as I recall. Several times. All with the same result. Mightt be time for a different approach to dealing witth the army. Fire with fire. Every precedent with Laos, Cambodia Japan etc suggests they will turn and run. Thais are not generally heroes.

I think a lot of people here don't quite understand the bigger picture here and why Les Majeste is being enforced so rigidly.

The King is the one person who enjoys the confidence and the support of the majority of Thai people. It's common knowledge amongst Thais that certain people have long seen that as an obstacle to complete power.

I agree completely that it is a draconian and outdated way of stopping efforts to solve that problem, but Thais are famous for deciding on ways of doing things which are ludicrous to the outside world.

The communists want rid of the rich 'elite'. They make no secret about that. Someone needs to tell them that communism doesn't work. As Maggie Thatcher said about it : "You soon run out of other peoples money".

Maggies darling son never heeded her message, he had quite a fine time separating other people from their money.

You think they want to create a communist society? All they are trying to to do is rearrange who sits at the top table in various business markets in Thailand.

They wear red because every Thai has at least one man u or Liverpool shirt.

"As Maggie Thatcher said about it : "You soon run out of other peoples money".

Quoting that vile friend of paedos and murderous dictators, priceless!

we have a monarchy in England but don't need laws like these so your arguments are unfounded as it's ALL about control

It's common knowledge amongst Thais that certain people have long seen that as an obstacle to complete power.

It is also common knowledge that the best way to destroy an opponent is to bang them up on the LM charge, whether true or not. So English John don't keep us waiting, what facts do you have. Or is this just another Monty Python gag line

David, surely by such logic you would agree that removal of the PM without explicit royal approval would constitute a grave offence?

No....

and basing it on this fact.

To follow rules of Law... People in the position to enforce, would be mandating such a movement to be made, or have to answer also or be affiliated with protecting the guilty. What you are suggesting is that if the removal of the PM if it wasn't in fact in the Royal favor... We would have had comments made from the Palace. In fact just the opposite... It seems that General P. was give the Blessing from the Royal House after taking office and a lengthy Royal meeting. This was in fact Pictured and Documented.

There is no need to award someone for doing what needed to be done. There is a face facture here that was approval to take the country on this path, an agreement to continue and do what is right.

There is no movement to show the Population that the Elite are also mandated by the same laws as the rest of the population and have to answer to the same as you or me or any other Thai. The Constitution does not set two different ingurgitations depending on your income level... It states a plain and simple fact.

Now who else has been guilty of malleus use of the Law while being seated in the Office of P.M., Parliament, Congress.... and who is guilty of failing to act accordingly to the written words of the Constitution. Who are they protecting and why?

Edited by davidstipek