Who wants to join me in getting PhD in Global Educational Leadership?

A few years ago a colleague who runs a PhD program at a Thai university tried to convince me to join. Had to attend classes every week and the fee was 700,000 baht. For a Thai PhD. No.

Lamar University in Texas has a very unique, completely online PhD program in Global Educational Leadership that will begin in January 2016. It takes just under 2 years and costs about $25,000. Thats about the same fee as the Thai university!

Anyone interested please PM me. We need a cohort of about 15.

post-240625-0-71304600-1437443347_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

When you say 'very unique', do you mean it will be accepted in much country everworldwide? More importantly will it be recognised in Thailand? I will wait while you check, no problem.

(BTW- the blurb seems to consist of pure wank-speak).

Its run by Lamar University, a university that probably has the biggest M.Ed program in the US.

Regionally accredited.

Texas Sate University system (public university).

If Thailand did not recognize it I would not be shocked, but I would definitely laugh, laugh long and hard.

There is a 75,000 word thesis as well I take it.

You are thinking classic PhD taking 3 years and with regular meetings between student and supervisor. Note that this PhD is an online 2 year course so will unlikely in the extreme have the 'classic' structure. Actually, the supposedly 'exceptional' 'professionally' acquired PhDs have over the years been used to drive a coach and horses through the traditionally acquired process of acquiring a doctorate. What happens is that private colleges get into bed with an 'official' institution and are given the go-ahead to proceed subject to a minimum number of students signing up. The minimum number is usually somewhere between 15 and 25 to make it financially viable.

There is a 75,000 word thesis as well I take it.

You are thinking classic PhD taking 3 years and with regular meetings between student and supervisor. Note that this PhD is an online 2 year course so will unlikely in the extreme have the 'classic' structure. Actually, the supposedly 'exceptional' 'professionally' acquired PhDs have over the years been used to drive a coach and horses through the traditionally acquired process of acquiring a doctorate. What happens is that private colleges get into bed with an 'official' institution and are given the go-ahead to proceed subject to a minimum number of students signing up. The minimum number is usually somewhere between 15 and 25 to make it financially viable.

Just to confirm this is all run by Lamar U, a state university.

So all the conjecture was pretty much a waste of time smile.png

What has evolved over recent years is that some lower tier universities with an aggressive business model have stepped into the space previously occupied by public-private partnerships. Once they have worked out how to manage a tame quality assurance system they are good to go. The first warning flag here is the online PhD offer, the second is the cut-back time assumed to require for graduation, the third would be the price, the fourth the third/fourth tier institution offering the programme, the fifth the entry qualifications, the sixth...........................................the nth the rubbish title.

Archived