Buying furniture.

alanrchase

My son is buying a condo in Bangkok, I have agreed to furnish it. No need for high end furniture, bought some sturdy solid wood beds etc from Global House in the past. Agent mentioned Ikea when I asked. Never been in one myself. Anyone bought furniture from them? Price, selection, quality?

Drop down to Bang Na and catch their shuttle van to take a look. Can't find the shuttle info, so give them a call or email.

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/allproducts/

Mac

Ta. What is quality like. Don't need top end but do not want to buy stuff that falls apart in a few years. They seem to have a good reputation but no personal experience.

Drop down to Bang Na and catch their shuttle van to take a look. Can't find the shuttle info, so give them a call or email.

Mac

Ta. What is quality like. Don't need top end but do not want to buy stuff that falls apart in a few years. They seem to have a good reputation but no personal experience.

Homepro is at Bangna too.. ..have a look there as well.

Both are quite decent....price will usually reflect quality.

Mac

Homepro is at Bangna too.. ..have a look there as well.

Both are quite decent....price will usually reflect quality.

Thanks.

Oh there are a couple of bars at the other end of Mega Bangna....you might need a drink after that mammoth shopping trip....I certainly did!

Drinking and shopping has never worked out too well for me but thanks for info.

Oh there are a couple of bars at the other end of Mega Bangna....you might need a drink after that mammoth shopping trip....I certainly did!

I didn't just mean alcohol....its a long snake through Ikea... Best of luck.

I didn't just mean alcohol....its a long snake through Ikea... Best of luck.

Ta.

Differing opinion : IKEA isn't junk at all and also isn't over-priced. In fact a lot of it is pretty cheap- although you do have to fit together everything yourself, so what you make in savings you lose a little in construction time.

In what way do you think it's junk..?

Differing opinion : IKEA isn't junk at all and also isn't over-priced. In fact a lot of it is pretty cheap- although you do have to fit together everything yourself, so what you make in savings you lose a little in construction time.

For a small fee Ikea deliver and assemble too.

I can't be bothered with that nonsense.

Any furniture that is all chipboard is junk, last small table we bought from Ikea broke in two as it was out together, went in the bin

ikea furniture is junk and overpriced. There is a shop at seacon called Podium they sell hardwood furniture (rubber wood) for about the same prices as the chipboard in ikea, winner, index etc

havnt you heard of MFI.j54 same same.

Alrighty, I can only go by personal experience, all the IKEA stuff I've had over the years has stayed intact, looked good, done exactly what it was meant to do. Never had any problems with beds, sofas, tables, lights, the whole works. All good. Two thumbs up.

@smokie I can't be bothered with assembling either, but I still do it for some reason... I don't know why, I guess it gives me a manly sense of achievement even though all I've done is follow instructions on a piece of paper. Also sometimes have screws left over. That's... worrying. :)

I have a full size sofa (B14,000), Kitchen work counter (B3000), a TV platform (B2000) and several shelving and drawer units all purchased at Ikea, Bangkok over the last 4 years. All items have held up well and I feel they are good value. They don't get particularly hard use as I'm single and there are no kids bouncing around.

I would certainly put their quality above INDEX, another low cost furnishings chain.

I also find much of their mid-priced cookware and utensils to be of a higher quality than local department stores carry in the same price range.

If you decide to go, I suggest never going on a weekend...Huge crowds.

Edited by dddave

This IKEA TV stand had it at least 12 years. Still looks good, has large plastic casters., Do not remember how much exactly. Not much. Point being a similar designer item would cost at least $500 USD. Still made of laminates, wood chips, glass, and plastic. IKEA cheap bookcases, dressers, etc. that get used frequently won't last. You get what you pay for. I don't even know where to find real solid wood furniture here, never seen any for sale. It is available in the US, but to furnish a small small condo you would need at least a $15, 000 budget maybe $20, 000, just to get started. So not so quick to rubbish IKEA, I guess it serves a purpose. From what I understand there is not much of a furniture industry left in my country, where they produced stuff that could last a lifetime and be handed down. Now its gone and there is nothing to hand down, so young people getting a start in life are forced to buy more Chinese junk.

post-84769-0-41917600-1437981406_thumb.j

Edited by arunsakda

• 1 month later...

I been worked many brand in furniture business. I thought currently Ikea is over a little bit reasonable price and marketing policy need to mix variety globe source but mostly made in China and eastern Europe because there low costs. Consumer must have knowledge in furniture if you don't need feeling like go to buy a lotto. "Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright

Ikea is great. I've spent about half a million baht of company money there in the last 6 months and no problems at all. Thoroughly recommended. Their deliver and build service for big items like wardrobes is realy worth it too.

Check out their warranties as well. 25 years for mattresses, 10 years for wardrobes, etc:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_TH/customer_service/ikea_services/guarantee.html

I've used Ikea in other countries and the standard is identical.

I think IKEA quality quiet good too and the price also cheap because it is self service and also got warranty. If your thing spoil within 7days I think they will change new for you and if you want to return the goods I also will do refund for you ((but not full price)). Anyway I never find any problems with IKEA product yet.

May be you can go have a look first see anything you like and compare the price. But honestly IKEA BANGNA is not that bad. it isn't junk for sure.