Question re high and low ride pickups

giddyup

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all the years I have been here, that is the one question I could never figure out. I mean lowering the truck, sure it handles better but that is only an advantage when you are going at around 300 km/h or more. for normal road use there is no reason whatsoever to lower.

I've had the lower type pickup truck (factory standard) for many years here.

Besides being lower than your usual 4x4 vehicle it also comes standard with Light Truck tires that don't squirm when cornering like all terrain type tires do as they have a reinforced side wall to accommodate heavy loads and are narrower so offer less rolling resistance making it more economical/use less gas especially on the open road.

Resulting in a much better/comfortable handling car that uses less gas.

As well as that being lower there's less body roll and it is much easier to load motorbikes or whatever in and out of.

I've also been on many dirt roads and tracks here but never once needed 4x4. 2 wheel drive has been fine 100% of the time and the Light Truck tires are very durable. 130k k's out of the factory supplied set of Bridgestone R 623's.

I honestly don't see any advantage in the bigger higher pickups with the fatter noisier tires other than offering more protection in the case of a collision with a much lower and smaller vehicle.

Edited by Coaster11

I think 2wd pick ups are generally lower than the 4x4s. I have a Colorado that I wanted to drop but could only take out 1 1/2" with spacers on the leaf springs at back and adjustment to torsion bars at front.

There wasn't the room to lower further without messing up the suspension as it's a 4x4.

As to why?

For me it may be a mid life crisis, convertible sports car next.

In my case much better handling, along suitable with tyres and wheels. Pick up a copy of one of the Thai mags, "Race Truck" is a good one. Plenty of gen there. I got taken to one side at the end of Don Mueng toll way by the BIB and they wanted a 500 THB donation for lowering truck. So beware!

I don't think everyone who has a lowered pickup uses it for racing, I see plenty being used for commercial reasons.

Typically missing the point again regarding the racing example. He's not saying they race them, what he's saying is they want that stance for reasons of handling and ride instead of the stereotypical marshmallow like leaning and pitching truck ride.. Besides they can purchase trucks much cheaper then cars and then mod them to drive like a car but with much of the cargo use of a truck, JAS21 really hit the nail honestly, this is a bit of no-brainer with some effort.

But he does say they race them, hence the mention of "Race Truck", and he also mentions later that his "goes like sh*t off a shovel". So who's missed the point?

You, we aren't talking F1 here, there are street legal race classes with all the street-able amenities except lightened but often times maybe restricted mods so not much more then a lightened street ride on softer compound, street legal tires.

In all the years I have been here, that is the one question I could never figure out. I mean lowering the truck, sure it handles better but that is only an advantage when you are going at around 300 km/h or more. for normal road use there is no reason whatsoever to lower.

300Kph?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Giddy ... I do apologise for my SA reply. I though that you were taking the piss ... anyway now that I realize that you were the guy that we were talking about, at a BBQ, over the weekend who tried to syphon water uphill ... I realise that, to you, it wasn't a silly question at all... sorry

Whats wrong with siphoning water up hill? I do it all the time.. I use a pump.. It requires a vacuum to do so, vacuum is a siphon effect but that's for another topic tongue.png ..
That's what happens when someone tries to a smart ars* but isn't actually smart. They end up with egg on their face.
Giddy ... hold your horses

Warpee ... in all honesty what you are describing sounds just a little like pumping. BUT ... maybe a good topic for you to start though, something like 'how to syphon uphill with a pump' that could get some interesting replies ...........

Maybe the mods could weed out the replies by people who either didn't read or understand the question properly or have no knowledge of it?

Makes it hard to get a sensible answer for others.

The OP obviously wasn't asking about street racer/post showroom floor type modifications.

All manufacturers make pickups with 2 different suspension heights. Lower-end pickups are usually fitted with the low ride height config, and then, many truck owners lower them even further with aftermarket bits. Basically, there's those that like "low riders" and those that like "high riders".

Up2u

smile.png

Thank you. It's just that I have never seen in any of the manufactures brochures a "low rider" option, so I wasn't sure if they had been done as an aftermarket option or from the factory.

I know the ones you mean and it hasn't really been clearly answered for you whether they come from the factory as low as that. Myself, I have always thought that it was a "to look cool" thing.

Edited by dotpoom

Ermm not quite sure what it is you're saying JAS? But you do know that pumps both pump (push water) and vacuum (siphon water) correct? Therefore they can siphon uphill (I.E. vacuum) if the water source is at the bottom of the hill and then push that same water wherever you want it up the hill? Anyway that's for another topic and besides I was playing along, not opening another topic. hence the tongue.png Icon..

Maybe the mods could weed out the replies by people who either didn't read or understand the question properly or have no knowledge of it?

The OP obviously wasn't asking about street racer/post showroom floor type modifications.

Erm nonsense, hopefully the mods don't work that way but who knows anymore? That's exactly what he's talking about and that's part of the answer to his question he and YOU apparently just need to understand that, lowered, street boy, racer trucks and WHY they do that with their trucks..Here's one way to get to the point, OP post some jpegs of examples, maybe from off the net since it's unlikely you have some just sitting around?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Erm nonsense, hopefully the mods don't work that way but who knows anymore? That's exactly what he's talking about and that's part of the answer to his question he and YOU apparently just need to understand that, lowered, street boy, racer trucks and WHY they do that with their trucks..Here's one way to get to the point, OP post some jpegs of examples, maybe from off the net since it's unlikely you have some just sitting around?

"Erm nonsense, hopefully the mods don't work that way but who knows anymore? That's exactly what he's talking about and that's part of the answer to his question he and YOU apparently just need to understand that, lowered, street boy, racer trucks and WHY they do that with their trucks..Here's one way to get to the point, OP post some jpegs of examples, maybe from off the net since it's unlikely you have some just sitting around?"

Nonsense. There are 2 different heights available from the showroom floor.

But does that exclusively explain what it is he is referring to? How do you know? He asked a broad question and got several valid answers that include lowered trucks that have been modified, since he hasn't posted any jpeg examples it's all speculation of what it is he is exactly referring to and yours is no more valid than any one else's so all responses should be considered and none excluded.

OP...Low & Hi Ride pickups?

I reckon here in LOS the family of p/u owners (heaps of em)

are divided into 3 main groups. First are the Normal group who

keep their p/u's fairly factory standard. Second...the 4x4 people

who...well available spending money is the only limiting factor

with these trucks & their owners regardless whether or not the

p/u ever ventures off a paved road.

Third & last...there are the lowriders. Who are also similar to

the 4x4 drivers but different...opting to go as low as they can

and in so doing, the mitigating factor is also available spending

money. Especially on hydraulics so they can raise or lower their

p/u's at will whilst moving or stationary.

An old army buddy of Mexican American origin owns a custom

car shop in east LA...they make lowriders. The sky is the limit

concerning money & what his shop can do as far as lowriders

are concerned. He's been in the biz for 40 + years & does very

well from it.

Lowriders are relatively new in LOS...but it is catching on &

I reckon it boils down to individuality...simple as that.

post-146250-0-61481800-1437538059_thumb.

post-146250-0-32173300-1437538076_thumb.

post-146250-0-04926600-1437538096_thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJGml0cKYo

But does that exclusively explain what it is he is referring to? How do you know? He asked a broad question and got several valid answers that include lowered trucks that have been modified, since he hasn't posted any jpeg examples it's all speculation of what it is he is exactly referring to and yours is no more valid than any one else's so all responses should be considered and none excluded.

Post #5..."I don't think everyone who has a lowered pickup uses it for racing, I see plenty being used for commercial reasons."

That doesn't give you some insight? That's how i knew what he was talking about.

There are 2 different types sold. One for commercial reasons is lower.

Seems many have learnt from his not precise initial question though.

Edited by Coaster11

Ironically look what a quick search popped up?

http://www.alltruckracing.com/pickup-truck-racing.html

Note the signage in the background? Though it's a western website..

Pickup-Truck-Racing.jpg

Lowered but not a "low rider", easily driven on the street and likely, being Thailand, was driven to this race like most are. FYI I did not even search Thailand pick up truck racing when this came up..

How about this jpeg? See any pickup trucks in this jpeg that might be lowered but still streetable? That answer is, ALL OF THEM..

TruckLineUp9583850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CAC
These were searched for Thailand, it's fact that a large portion of these was driven there as well. They actually have to be registered to drive on the road.

TruckRaceCanyon9411850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE

Get it now?

TruckRaceCorner9416850.jpg?__SQUARESPACERaceTruckSpeed9528850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

Edited by WarpSpeed

I quite often see pickups of different brands, Isuzu, Mitsu, Toyota etc, that have around the same road clearance as a normal sedan.

This is what the OP said in the first part of post. Well I do not see any of the standard pickups with the same amount of clearance of say a saloon car. Most of them have a decent amount of clearance under the wheel arches, they are load carriers after all.

Here is a pic of just one, the new Triton.

post-44176-0-62608900-1437538638_thumb.p

Post #5..."I don't think everyone who has a lowered pickup uses it for racing, I see plenty being used for commercial reasons."

That doesn't give you some insight? That's how i knew what he was talking about.

There are 2 different types sold. One for commercial reasons is lower.

Seems many have learnt from his not precise initial question though.

I think more like perceived clairvoyance, you live in Thailand and many there have equipment (yes including trucks) that have multiple purposes as they can't afford having multiple vehicles, the topic IS Thailand and the lowered trucks there, the possibility they have a truck they race and still drive daily or want it to look like they race is a very large possibility, end of.

Most of the pickups that I've seen in Thailand are lowered due to years of being overloaded

well beyond what they were designed for.

I have seen a pickup loaded a meter above the cab height with bags of fertilizer.

The bodywork was almost scraping the road !

The driver was probably oblivious of any danger.

I'm sure he was proud that he was saving fuel and not having to go back for a second run. crazy.gif

In my case much better handling, along suitable with tyres and wheels. Pick up a copy of one of the Thai mags, "Race Truck" is a good one. Plenty of gen there. I got taken to one side at the end of Don Mueng toll way by the BIB and they wanted a 500 THB donation for lowering truck. So beware!

and you gave them it. Did you get a receipt?

Totally Thai and easily interpreted what he meant for anyone that was willing to read the thread.

The lower type pickup (available from showroom floor) certainly is not as low as a small 4 door sedan. I had both for a couple of years and with dodgy knees the lower 4 door sedan was a pain to get in and out of. The pickup was easy in comparison.

maxresdefault.jpg

post-44176-0-56860000-1437539984_thumb.j

This is my truck, I live in Phetchabun which has some of the most interesting routes in Thailand, plenty of hills and bendy roads. This baby has never let me down, unfortunately I am about to sell it on to a Somchai up the road. A new 2.5 Camry on order, well got to grow up some time.

All manufacturers make pickups with 2 different suspension heights. Lower-end pickups are usually fitted with the low ride height config, and then, many truck owners lower them even further with aftermarket bits. Basically, there's those that like "low riders" and those that like "high riders".

Up2u

smile.png

Thank you. It's just that I have never seen in any of the manufactures brochures a "low rider" option, so I wasn't sure if they had been done as an aftermarket option or from the factory.

There may be a misunderstanding. The dealers offer two types of suspension; higher and lower. The higher was usually associated with four-wheel drive vehicles while the lower was for two-wheel drive--that seems to be no longer be the case. You can now get two-wheel drive pick-ups in the higher suspension versions. A third option exists for those who want to lower their rides even further. This third option is often called low-rider. It is usually done because the owner thinks it looks cool. The road-handling and speed characteristics of a low-rider are debatable and greatly depend upon the quality of the conversion.

attachicon.gifBapmobile.jpg

This is my truck, I live in Phetchabun which has some of the most interesting routes in Thailand, plenty of hills and bendy roads. This baby has never let me down, unfortunately I am about to sell it on to a Somchai up the road. A new 2.5 Camry on order, well got to grow up some time.

It's amazing how well they handle standard and how much fun they can be to drive.

I've done the roads through Nakhon Tha,Dan Sai and Phu Ruea plenty of times,many others too.

Sometimes Thais driving Mercs and Beemers think it's a race. It totally leaves them for dead around corners but when long straights come they put the foot down whizz past at crazy speeds only to hold me up on corners again.

Giddy, calm down, yes you are correct, a lot of the Thai boy racer brigade take out all but one of the leaf springs. The lowering kit consists of lowering blocks (different sizes) and different length u-bolts. Usually the front springs need replacing and adjustable shocks on the rear too.

Entirely up to you. Most pickup manufacturers offer the standard height truck, mine is a basic Toyo 3L D4D but after a few years of mods, handle and goes like the proverbial sh*t off a shovel. Never heard of anyone lowering a pre-runner or a Hi Lander!.

According to IMHO the manufacturers offer pickups in two ride heights. If people gave straight answers to my questions, the post could be done and dusted by now.

BTW, there's a Mitsu Triton 4 door outside my front door that's been lowered, so I guess any pickup can be. Why anyone would want to is a mystery to me, kind of defeats the purpose of a pickup in the first place.

I have seem many pickups up here in Loei province and they are lowered beyond makers specs and have rims that extend out past the guard. All totally illegal here in Thailand but maybe those who do it were like those in OZ back in the late 50's early 60's, who thought of themselves as boy racers. When you see the way some drive the pickups here I would say they have the same train of thought. However, if the vehicle is lowered properly it does give for better handling, especially around bends. From the ones I've seen I am pretty sure they would not have been sold by the dealer in such an altered style. Given that many are also dressed up, lights, seating, sound systems, etc., maybe they are not worried about the loss of load carrying capacity. Who really know what goes on in the minds of some Thais?

I know, all the talk of street racing and lowering for better handling etc bears absolutely no relevance to my questions, but try and tell some of the know-it-alls that.

Edited by giddyup

You, we aren't talking F1 here, there are street legal race classes with all the street-able amenities except lightened but often times maybe restricted mods so not much more then a lightened street ride on softer compound, street legal tires.

Where does F1 come into it? Obviously we are totally at cross purposes here, so rather than argue any point with you, let's just say I've received satisfactory answers to my questions, so time to move on.

Warpspeed don't tell someone else what I was talking about, because you are totally wrong. I was asking if there was a factory option for lower pickups, as I'd never seen one in a showroom or a brochure, and it appears there is. I then asked if they'd all been lowered aftermarket, why. Obviously that's not the case as some come from the factory like that. Go back and read my question again.

Edited by giddyup

Car factury provide different models,

low cost ones usually low ride;

But many Thai and most farongs have very BIG balls,

so they need to show them how BIG they are,

therefore they need the high drive ones !!

You know ? You are than Much - much Bigger than all others which ride with a limusine !!

And you allowed to ride fast - don't need to look for traffic regulations !

Just watch their behavier on the Highways !!

Red Bull would not have a chance even not on the highway against this Big Ball riders !!