SCB ATM service nationwide will be temporarily offline for enhancement!

Just got this email. Evidently it's bank upgrade season.

Dear Customers,

Please be advised that Siam Commercial Bank will temporarily close its ATM system nationwide for upgrading from 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 8, 2015 to 5.00 a.m. on Sunday, August 9, 2015. The upgraded system will support the growing number of transactions and enhance security.

During the upgrade period, the following services will be temporarily unavailable:

1. SCB ATM / Debit / Speedy / MCMC Prompt cards will be unusable in all SCB channels and all other bank ATM machines.

2. SCB Credit Cards will be unusable for cash advances at all SCB channels and all other bank ATM machines.

3. Fund transfer to and from other banks via SCB Easy Net and Easy App will be unavailable.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

And again a few will complain that did not know tongue.png

But better than Kasikorn for the shutdown last week.

They published it only publicly and on the website.

No Email or SMS as far as I remember.

So, from my perspective as a customer, the "We're sorry for the inconvenience" meme is, unacceptable. Does anyone in the Thai banking services know someone 'inside' who can clarify exactly what they are doing?

So, from my perspective as a customer, the "We're sorry for the inconvenience" meme is, unacceptable. Does anyone in the Thai banking services know someone 'inside' who can clarify exactly what they are doing?

All banks have been running with an old, and now very insecure, version of Windows. This is being replaced in the whole front-end of each bank's system - not a small task. Those banks that have not yet changed OS are quite insecure. All bank systems are interlinked. None of the banks want to talk about the security weaknesses until all banks have upgraded. This is why they are not explaining in detail.

Bangkok bank was the first to issue ATM cards with a chip embedded for extra security. It makes the card skimmers that scammers install on the input of the card reader which read the magnetic stripe not work. Right now Bkk bank cards only work in BKK bank ATMs.

I'm assuming the other banks are making updates to their systems so they can update their ATMs with chip readers so all chipped cards can be used there, then they will begin replacing client ATM cards.

I saw an ATM that had crashed a few months ago, I was very surprised to see it was running either windows 95 or Windows XP. Maybe they're planning on migrating to this century's technology too.

why would a bank have to explain their actions to you ? and what difference would it make anyway ? if not happy move on , there are plenty of banks that would accept your money . it is a system upgrade of some sort . if you feel slighted because they did not consult you , ehhh..... you are better off going home . oh.... thats right ... they do not explain to you at your home country , do they ? .... just saying sounds like whining..............

This was years ago but in my position in Houston, more than once I took all the ATM's in the city offline. All or most still had limited functionality but if it was possible 30 years ago, I'm still it's still possible now. I'm not sure what nefarious reason that could be used for. It's not like Thailand is leaving the Euro zone.

Perhaps, a sinister person would suspect this is a 'test' to see if all ATMs can be shut down if necessary, one bank tests per weekend.

I had 2 emails from Kasikorn.

They also got their updated done and re-activated the system about 6 hours ahead of schedule.

Ah, I beg to differ, I received emails (plural) and several sms.

Normal people do not use the ATM during those hours anyway

What about the thousands of overseas passengers arriving Suvarnabhumi airport during those hours?

Does SCB still have the monopoly on ATMs at the airport? If so, hope everybody has enough baht with them for transportation from the airport.

Does SCB still have the monopoly on ATMs at the airport?

???

When was that?

I am travelling to Thailand since 1994 and have never noticed such a monopoly.

But maybe my senses have deceived me.

What about the thousands of overseas passengers arriving Suvarnabhumi airport during those hours?

They use another one.

How many are in the airport?

Someone wants to give a guess?

A hundred?

I received an English language email on 13 July from Kasikorn informing me of the shutdown. I'll assume that everyone with a valid email address known to Kasikorn got the same.

Archived