south east asia has had its day

keetoot

I have friends that have either moved back or are here for the first time to retire. They all seem to be happy to be here. I think if you spend to much time anywhere you can get jaded. So lots of short one week vacations keeps it real for me. Even after two plus decades.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed im gonna base myself out of vietnam or gamble on burma .

What do you think of Vietnamese food relative to Thai? If you try to live on farang food in VN it will be pang mak mak.

Thai food beats the heck out of VN and Burmese in my book.

What do you think of Vietnamese food relative to Thai? If you try to live on farang food in VN it will be pang mak mak.

Thai food beats the heck out of VN and Burmese in my book.

Well price wise its unrealistic

The whole world has had its day!!! Man up and be thankful for the good time you was allowed to enjoy here in LOS!

Still better here than my home country, that's for sure and also better than living in a police state like the US or Britain, where millions of cameras follow your every move. In LOS at least they tell you right in your face (or if not, they are too "shallow" to hide it efficiently enough) what your status (2nd class citizen/guest) in their system is, so you can work with it. I would be a foreigner and 2nd class citizen in my home country today, thus I better live my outcast "guest worker" life here in Thailand.

Rrrright! Burma is definitely better than Thailand... you might as well shoot yourself in both of your legs, please make sure to destroy the knee caps! Burma... oh man... blink.png

What a refreshingly original thread.

Yes, they ought to know how many times the statement, "Southeast Asia has had its day" has been made.

I first heard that saying in Thailand in 1967. I was in Pattaya, when there was one road to the beach and fifteen or twenty bars, most out over the water. I heard it from an old American who had come to Thailand in 1954 as a civil defense adviser. I believe his words were something like, "Indo ain't gettin' no better."

The next time was year or so later. I was in Vietnam; a French Legionnaire and an American China sailor were arguing about who knew the most about SEA. Both claimed to have gotten to Indochina in 1927 and to have done everything everywhere.

I have been in Southeast Asia since 1967, I have seen much better days in SEA.

Don't worry, it's still better than most other places.

Its probably off topic, but I think there is an underlying feeling that Thailand needs to do more than they did 10 years ago both for tourists and foreign residents.

Its not dirt cheap as it was when I first visited. Everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price. Food, liquor, lodging, transportation.

The place needs to be cleaned up, if you are going to pay higher prices you need to be able to sit andd swim on beaches that are not littered with garbage. You should be able to walk on sidewalks that are not taken up with vendors instead of stepping out in traffic. There needs to be the assumption of safety. I'd suggest a walking police presence in all tourist areas..beat cops.

As for foreign residents, make new rules that make life easier, both for the aliens and the authorities.

To put it in my own personal perspective. I have a pension. Its an lifetime pension. I am married to a Thai national. We have our own home.

Since my income never changes, my address never changes and (I hope) my marital status never changes then why, in Gods name, do I have to check in every 3 months and show the same documents for income and address every year? Wouldn't it be easier to just require me to inform immigration if anything changes.

I'm not a Thai basher, for the most part I enjoy my interactions with Thai people and I love the country. With the exception of the lunacy I see on the roads.

My biggest issue is dealing with the senseless, needless, bureaucratic hoops I have to go through to spend the rest of my life here.

Hear this often from farang that theyre somehow entitled to better conditions/treatment in Thailand which is the gist of your post. Why does Thailand need to do more for tourists and foreign residents? It's a developing country with an infrastructure barely capable of meeting needs of its own citizens let alone the hordes of farangs relocating here for 1st world lifestyle at 3rd world prices.

Has it occurred to you why 'everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price not to mention the price of real estate? How much has your home country improved the standard of living for its own citizens over the last 10yrs?

Edited by nemrut

Its probably off topic, but I think there is an underlying feeling that Thailand needs to do more than they did 10 years ago both for tourists and foreign residents.

Its not dirt cheap as it was when I first visited. Everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price. Food, liquor, lodging, transportation.

The place needs to be cleaned up, if you are going to pay higher prices you need to be able to sit andd swim on beaches that are not littered with garbage. You should be able to walk on sidewalks that are not taken up with vendors instead of stepping out in traffic. There needs to be the assumption of safety. I'd suggest a walking police presence in all tourist areas..beat cops.

As for foreign residents, make new rules that make life easier, both for the aliens and the authorities.

To put it in my own personal perspective. I have a pension. Its an lifetime pension. I am married to a Thai national. We have our own home.

Since my income never changes, my address never changes and (I hope) my marital status never changes then why, in Gods name, do I have to check in every 3 months and show the same documents for income and address every year? Wouldn't it be easier to just require me to inform immigration if anything changes.

I'm not a Thai basher, for the most part I enjoy my interactions with Thai people and I love the country. With the exception of the lunacy I see on the roads.

My biggest issue is dealing with the senseless, needless, bureaucratic hoops I have to go through to spend the rest of my life here.

Hear this often from farang that theyre somehow entitled to better conditions/treatment in Thailand which is the gist of your post. Why does Thailand need to do more for tourists and foreign residents? It's a developing country with an infrastructure barely capable of meeting needs of its own citizens let alone the hordes of farangs relocating here for 1st world lifestyle at 3rd world prices.

Has it occurred to you why 'everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price not to mention the price of real estate? How much has your home country improved the standard of living for its own citizens over the last 10yrs?

Splendid reply.

Just curious, considering your other thread today that got closed.... You know, the one you started to tell everyone that you gave a ladyboy a BJ... What, did he leave a bad taste in your mouth?

I prefer to call it a "she" thank you.

sorry its a bloke with tits mate thats why its called ladyboy

Just curious, considering your other thread today that got closed.... You know, the one you started to tell everyone that you gave a ladyboy a BJ... What, did he leave a bad taste in your mouth?

sorry its a bloke with tits mate thats why its called ladyboy

I only go back for the ladyboys.

Se asia as a whole has not lost its appeal but Thailand has enjoyed 30 years of a booming tourism industry and its been done , people are looking for alternative destinations as thailand has lost its edge due to greed and pollution /

Bye

Cannot remember when 500 euro note was worth 25000 baht?

Or a 100 aussie dollar was worth 3300 baht?

Or a hundred pound was worth 7000 baht?

Or a chang 25 baht a can?

I seem to remember late 2004 when £100 UK pounds would get you around 7800 to 7900 baht so maybe you have never had £100 to spend or have not been in Thailand as long as you think you have......bah.gif

Bye

I seem to remember late 2004 when £100 UK pounds would get you around 7800 to 7900 baht so maybe you have never had £100 to spend or have not been in Thailand as long as you think you have......bah.gif

Well im a aussie

Bye

Well im a aussie

So why mention the UK rate or euro rate then hey if you are really an Aussie..... Troll on Ketoot and get back under your bridge...Actually Ketoot you seem like a nice troll, you've brought a bit of humour to the forum in the last couple of days from what I've read, enjoy the ladyboys and have fun up ya bum...facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Is this your standard reply to everything?

Why should I fix my roof because it rains sometimes?

I presented a list of doable things that would improve conditions. The government has recognized this themselves and, to their credit, are doing something about some of the major beaches and street vendors.

Tourists are just that. They will come, explore and if they enjoy their experience come again and recommend the place to their friends. Likewise if they don't, they will explore other places and choose them instead costing this developing nation billions in foreign revenue.

As for long stay residents, why wouldn't you want to accommodate them. I have several friends who considered relocating here in retirement. They were likely to spend over 50 million baht here over their remaining years.

One went to Mexico instead where he can get a 10 year visa and come and go freely to visit his home country. Others decided that the were going to just snowbird and stay at different places every year.

So that's a couple of hundred million baht Thailand is not going to get to help their development.

As to what my home country does, my neice married a foreigner. It took a year before he could get his permanent residency card but now he can stay forever barring any criminal activity, he can work and he can come and go freely without reporting continually to the authorities.

And please save yourself the trouble of typing " if you don't like it, there's the door". Its tiresome and completely disrespectful of the fact that this now home for myself and my family.

I'd just like to try and fix the roof.

Edited by Psychic

Is this your standard reply to everything?

Why should I fix my roof because it rains sometimes?

I presented a list of doable things that would improve conditions. The government has recognized this themselves and, to their credit, are doing something about some of the major beaches and street vendors.

Tourists are just that. They will come, explore and if they enjoy their experience come again and recommend the place to their friends. Likewise if they don't, they will explore other places and choose them instead costing this developing nation billions in foreign revenue.

As for long stay residents, why wouldn't you want to accommodate them. I have several friends who considered relocating here in retirement. They were likely to spend over 50 million baht here over their remaining years.

One went to Mexico instead where he can get a 10 year visa and come and go freely to visit his home country. Others decided that the were going to just snowbird and stay at different places every year.

So that's a couple of hundred million baht Thailand is not going to get to help their development.

As to what my home country does, my neice married a foreigner. It took a year before he could get his permanent residency card but now he can stay forever barring any criminal activity, he can work and he can come and go freely without reporting continually to the authorities.

And please save yourself the trouble of typing " if you don't like it, there's the door". Its tiresome and completely disrespectful of the fact that this now home for myself and my family.

I'd just like to try and fix the roof.

And who will pay for this pristine, safe environment you yearn for in a relatively poor, developing country. You seem to forget how privileged you are to be able to live here at far greater standard of living than most Thais who are scraping to get by.

For every farang you think will contribute to the Thai economy, there are many more - tourists/residents alike, who do not and actually strain the system with their often dysfunctional, criminal and self-destructive behavior(eg, altercations, fighting, suicides, etc). Do you think dealing with these farang problems come at no cost?

" if you don't like it, there's the door"

Well yes, if you have unrealistic expectations about the infrastructure of a developing country, then maybe you should find greener pastures. Nothing disrespectful about it. What is disrespectful and appalling, is the behavior of long-term resident farang who like to openly criticize Thailand, it's people/culture often treating them with contempt while comfortably enjoying relative affluence amid most who live on far less.

Thailand is simply not for regular joes its for rich over 50s with assets and savings

That's why I'm here although -- like every other over 50 guy who posts on ThaiVisa -- I look younger than my age.

Bye

Well im a aussie

Explains it all. Plenty of Lady boys waithing for you in LAOS

the topic "how to give a blowjob to a "she" would ensure a lively discussion crazy.gif