Any chances of seeing genuine reform?

DekDoi

There's a recent Bangkok Post article on the need for education reform 'no-place-for-timidity-in-education-reform'

wondering what others think about the chances of seeing any genuine reforms to the Thai education system

.. or are things just going to continue as they are ??

whistling.gif No not really.

The Thai education system is designed to produce half-educated graduates that are just educated enough to be good sheep-like workers and followers of the system and not ask to many questions that might disturb the powers that be that rule the country.

It is purposely designed that way.....and those powers that be like it that way.

That's why it will not be changed soon.

By the way, this is not a comment about Thailand alone.

The education systems in the U.S. and the U.K. are also designed to produce the same happy little mindless followers of the Capitalist status quo..... and for the same reason.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Given they have tried so many other times to reform education that track record should answer your question. I think as long as kids are not held accountable for learning by getting rid of the No-fail system they use now then reform can never happen. That and the corruption in the schools and school system

Too many teachers/ADM Folks are worried (Uni levels) if they do not pass everyone, even the cheaters and ghost students they will not be popular on the student evaulation... So the mis-educated, the show for up the class with no book, pencil, notebook, and come late, leave early types...they skate.. ADM Folks feel student admission, thus funding will be affected.. hmm.. the same people from tourism in MOE..

"Yet for those students who do make the effort and actually try to learn and want to challenge themselves, they seek to pass, and perhaps go abroad.. to continue their self-directed learning."

The OLD guards ADM folks, who retired on the job, seek the status quo...

With all the hopla around AEC and employment and the push for better English skills, the quality of English speaking students, remains the same.. And it should...

Change will not come, sadly acknowledged., but for some, we do what we can one on one..

Thus were the people who could

Thus were the people who can't

Thus were the people who left

Thus... Thus.. were the people who took advantage..whistling.gif

Edited by Rhys

Reform? Of or within the Thai education system?

In a word - NO

Even at the university level, and at the completion of their studies (!), about the best you are going to get is someone who can speak, read, and write the Thai language.

I hate it for them but that's kinda the way it is.

"The education systems in the U.S. and the U.K. are also designed to produce the same happy little mindless followers of the Capitalist status quo..... and for the same reason".

If one were from Ireland....that would be considered an "Irishman's Exaragation".... me thinks.

Reform? Of or within the Thai education system?

In a word - NO

Even at the university level, and at the completion of their studies (!), about the best you are going to get is someone who can speak, read, and write the Thai language.

I hate it for them but that's kinda the way it is.

Reform in the Thai education system is long overdue but this kind of post is just ridiculous. From my time at a private university, I've seen many very average students go straight on to Master's programs in the US, UK and Australia and never heard of any that have arrived back without the degree.

It would be much more accurate to say that Thai universities are capable of turning out students who are of a standard good enough to provide cash fodder for western universities.

Their was an article in the German Spiegel last week that Prayuth has already a plan to increase the IQ of all Thai's by giving them better food. He also said Thai's in 10 years will be 8-10cm taller due to better food and an IQ and this will help the Thai's compete on an international level.

What it means is their will be no reforms - cheesy.gif

Edited by MobileContent

whistling.gif No not really.

The Thai education system is designed to produce half-educated graduates that are just educated enough to be good sheep-like workers and followers of the system and not ask to many questions that might disturb the powers that be that rule the country.

It is purposely designed that way.....and those powers that be like it that way.

That's why it will not be changed soon.

By the way, this is not a comment about Thailand alone.

The education systems in the U.S. and the U.K. are also designed to produce the same happy little mindless followers of the Capitalist status quo..... and for the same reason.

I agree with you.....partly. As lomg Thai diplomas are not acknowledged by other universities there must be something wrong with the education. But a change in education system will not happen unless Thai character will not change. And Thai character got roots in history. Most Thais should be held as ants to secure few rich families (history) influence and power. Violence, threats and murder are some means only. Corruption is another obstacle.

(I don't agree with your comments about US or UK system)

Here's hoping that one day computers carry taped lectures and lessons from the finest teachers in the world - think of the money saved by such a system too and the current education system can move into libraries or halls with local teachers serving as facilitators and tutors…

I agree with you.....partly. As lomg Thai diplomas are not acknowledged by other universities there must be something wrong with the education.

Thai diplomas are recognized internationally. Thousands of Thai students go to western universities every year after getting first degrees in Thai universities.

^ you keep talking about those that have the opportunity to go outside of the country for their education. Good on 'em as that certainly gives them a better chance of success.

All the rest of them pretty much can't do FA

Headlines you will never see: Thailand wins ANOTHER Nobel Prize!

Living in hope but not holding my breath..

The worrying thing is that if reforms are not put through under the present leadership the situation is likely to stay the same for the next decade..or longer

There is not going to be any reform in the Thai educational system until or when the system allows for individual thought. Thinking out of the box.

It the west thinking out of the box is rewarded not condemned. Here in Thailand it is frowned upon even scorned.

When you are taught to follow the beat of the same drum there is no individual "out of the box " thinking. True reform of any type cannot happen

with this. This is one reason thais are in involved in petty fights and cannot agree on reforms.

^ you keep talking about those that have the opportunity to go outside of the country for their education. Good on 'em as that certainly gives them a better chance of success.

All the rest of them pretty much can't do FA

Headlines you will never see: Thailand wins ANOTHER Nobel Prize!

Whooosh...!!

There is not going to be any reform in the Thai educational system until or when the system allows for individual thought. Thinking out of the box.

It the west thinking out of the box is rewarded not condemned. Here in Thailand it is frowned upon even scorned.

When you are taught to follow the beat of the same drum there is no individual "out of the box " thinking. True reform of any type cannot happen

with this. This is one reason thais are in involved in petty fights and cannot agree on reforms.

Yep, your thinking is out of the box alright...

Yes the Thai educations system will change but not in response to government strategy or educational reforml. In fact it is changing already as is every education system in the world. In education we're dealing with a highly volatile and unpredictable commodity : every class room teacher knows that school learning is rarely what is intended in the lesson plan or curriculum. Our means of communication are also being transformed by ICT systems. We are only at the beginning of this revolution but the ability to enrol in quality, free online courses is one example of the increasing accessibility of 'education'. The ability to share information quickly across the world ratchets up peoples' expectations and challenges their value systems. It will simply be impossible for any government anywhere to divert the demands that will arise from these advances and expectations. Due to volatility I would't want to speculate where it might all lead to, but I am sure there will be huge changes including a fair few surprises.

Edited by gerryBScot

Regarding: "The education systems in the U.S. and the U.K. are also designed to produce the same happy little mindless followers of the Capitalist status quo..... and for the same reason."

Can't speak for the UK, but there is no single US education system. The US "system" is really 10s of thousands of "systems" controlled by local and state governments. And, of course, private universities have their own boards of directors. The US federal government doesn't control education like the Thai Ministry of Education. It's an apples and oranges comparison. In Thailand, the central government controls most things. But in the US, many things are controlled by the state governments. Obviously, whoever posted the above statement doesn't understand the USA (even if he/she is American!)

Not a chance for at least another decade or two

The army will leave an impression that will take a long time to erase

Stuff like the tablet scheme will keep happening

The major problem that I see from working inside the Thai education system is that there are a huge amount of elderly teachers working in the system that have no interest in adopting modern teaching methodology into their classrooms. I have quite interested in the massive contrast at a recent seminar at school where I saw all of these younger Thais getting up and presenting ideas about teaching in the modern world while all of the older ones watched funny cat videos on their telephones. The salary structure needs to be reformed and based upon performance and professional development rather than simply seniority.