The baht for my USA friends

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bkksteve. Best of luck thinking that you know more than everyone. I doubt we'll every see any original thought posted by you. But I'm sure you will have opinions on everything and everyone.

Yes, sure. Thank you for the brilliant financial advice. Duly noted.

Mudcrab. It's about my opinion. That's all. Agree. Disagree. I don't care. No need to be a billionaire kannikapor. A few free online economics courses should do the trick.

If it's your "opinion" then say that in the beginning of your post. But obviously you're a troll who's enjoying being a troll.

Edited by HerbalEd

Did anyone ever notice that when the baht weakens...stuff like beer, hotel rooms and restaurant prices...go up.

But that is not the saddest part.

What happens when the baht regains ground......yes... prices never go back down again.

Over the past thirty-plus years I've seen the baht go up and down many times and, no, I've never noticed that.

Herbal Ed. Let me guess you smoke weed or sell supplements. Of course it is an opinion. No troll. But you are certainly a bully.

5555 I've been called many things, but never a bully. Thanks. ;-)

Did anyone ever notice that when the baht weakens...stuff like beer, hotel rooms and restaurant prices...go up.

What happens when the baht regains ground......yes... prices never go back down again.

Is that so? Since the price of the dollar to baht changes the price of beer and hotel rooms go up and down relative to the dollar every day. wai2.gif When I got to Thailand one dollar bought me 2 beers 5 years later it bought me 1 and a half beers now it is close to 2 again.

post-232807-0-27333600-1437742045_thumb.

Edited by lostoday

If the future price was known, it would already be there.

I suspect it may work in USD favour not because of the strong USD, but because the EUR has taken over the QE for now (which is 'supposed' to end next year), but there are too many variables to make predictions with confidence.

Over the past thirty-plus years I've seen the baht go up and down many times and, no, I've never noticed that.

for you then....all the prices stay as they are? I mean...were not things cheaper 30 years ago?

I spent about the same amount of years in Asia (not particulary all in Thailand)...and I do recall the beer, food and hotels have always increased, but never went back to the same price as they were 30 years ago.

Edited by slipperylobster

Is that so? Since the price of the dollar to baht changes the price of beer and hotel rooms go up and down relative to the dollar every day. wai2.gif When I got to Thailand one dollar bought me 2 beers 5 years later it bought me 1 and a half beers now it is close to 2 again.

I don't see beer on that chart...lol

There's an old Arab saying - he who claims to be able to predict the future is a liar even if, by chance, his predictions turn out to be right.

If anyone could predict currencies they'd make a fortune.

If the consensus view of those most able to judge meant a level somewhere different from where we are there would be a violent move this second, as everyone tried to capture the benefit of that future price.

I'd recommend Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow", particularly the piece on the stockbroking firm and the pay by results scheme for the staff. "Fooled by Randomness" by Taleb is also a must-read (or, in my case, must skim!).

Sure it is. The price of Thai beer relative to the US dollar goes up and down on a daily basis.

Sure it is. The price of Thai beer relative to the US dollar goes up and down on a daily basis.

well, i guess for you..they probably do go up and down daily.

For me....it seems everything jjust gets more expensive. (I kept an accurate budget of expenses)

Perhaps it is just my perspective.

for you then....all the prices stay as they are? I mean...were not things cheaper 30 years ago?

I spent about the same amount of years in Asia (not particulary all in Thailand)...and I do recall the beer, food and hotels have always increased, but never went back to the same price as they were 30 years ago.

I believe if you are paying for it in USD the price of beer in Thailand is cheaper today than in 2010.

I believe if you are paying for it in USD the price of beer in Thailand is cheaper today than in 2010.

Nope...I only pay in baht

2010 Tawang daeng...80

2012 Tawang daeng...100

2015 Tawang daeng...140

see...price only goes up...never down

Nope...I only pay in baht

2010 Tawang daeng...80

2012 Tawang daeng...100

2015 Tawang daeng...140

see...price only goes up...never down

I don't believe you. None of your income comes from the West? It does not negate my point either way as 99% of the people reading this rely at least partly on a Western currency.

Ah c'mon guys, being a little hard on yesican. Probably most of us who would read this post are a bit interested in ebb and flow or international exchange, so it isn't such news to us. But there are plenty of guys who focus on beer and nookie and are clueless beyond that. They probably won't read this.

Ah c'mon guys, being a little hard on yesican. Probably most of us who would read this post are a bit interested in ebb and flow or international exchange, so it isn't such news to us. But there are plenty of guys who focus on beer and nookie and are clueless beyond that. They probably won't read this.

Price of nookie, like the nookie itself, is elastic.

Price of most tangible objects is not. And, yes, I agree with the lobster guy, prices often rise in response to the exchange rate, but usually more than the difference, rounded up to the nearest 5 or 10 baht, but seldom decline when the exchange rate retreats.

Is that so? Since the price of the dollar to baht changes the price of beer and hotel rooms go up and down relative to the dollar every day. When I got to Thailand one dollar bought me 2 beers 5 years later it bought me 1 and a half beers now it is close to 2 again.

I want the address of a shop in Thailand that sells two beers for 1USD. Even 1 beer for 1USD is hardly possible in 7/11s, though it is possible in Makro as long as you stick to the worst brands.

I think that many Thai prices are extremely high, even for locally made items, and I can see no obvious reason for it except the Baht being way over-valued.

whistling.gif Yes I am an American retiree on a monthly pension (Social Security).

I have watched my actual monthly Baht amount deposited in Bangkok Bank for each month go up from 54,000 Baht a year ago to almost 57,000 Baht last month

I am not complaining, I can remember the months of roughly 30 Baht to a Dollar back in 2011 and 2012.

It's really not a function of the Dollar strength as much as it is a function of the Baht's weakness right now.

But as I very well know, it is all relative.....what goes up will later come down.... and don't forget that.

I won't.

I was here when the exchange rate was 29.6 Baht to one Dollar back in 2011..... and I remember how that felt.

So while I am enjoying the 33.84 exchange rate or better now..... I'm not going to go crazy about it now.

And, no one is criticizing your statement of the obvious.

Bkksteve. Wasn't priced in until this week. Greece was the main focus and last week most thought 2016. Now most are returning back to the sept 2015. I'm not sure what it will be and to be honest. I don't think it will break 38. Unless other forces come in. I.e currency speculators whose last name begins with an S and is now playing with house money

The expected rate hike speculation has been going on for a year, and everyone has known that it's getting closer each day that passes. To say it hasn't been priced until this week just tells me that you will have a hard time earning that Ph.D. (unless of course it's from Ramhkamhaeng, or any other Thai university for that matter)

Soros has better bets than buying Thai baht. He took action in 1997 due to very different reasons, related to an unsustainable overvalued PEGGED thai baht.

or Khao San Road do Phd's....they don't take long to get one either...