Why this cynicism against Thailand?

drronnie

In the early years living here there were a lot of things about Thailand which made me annoyed and I was expecting too much, but now more and more I am coping with the Thai lifestyle.

Now I am not so impatient anymore and just let my life flow like water. Thailand does have its flaws but I think the good over weigh though.

However I know a couple of people both expats and Thai people who seem to be cynical and are acting as this place was the worse on this world. I cannot understand.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you realise there is no value on your life it gets a bit annoying.

Why would you expect them to value you?

It makes me laugh how sensitive some expats are that they get all bothered about whether the locals like them.

They're just grumpy old men and would be equally as grumpy wherever they were in the world.

I like the young ones who couldn't make it and go back home and then send pictures and glowing reports on what a great mistake they made living in Thailand and are now happier than a pig in sh** since they moved back to the West.

I bought and sold 6 houses, 3 wives, 7 dogs and 3 corporations in Florida - like I don't know - what it's all about and need some young feller to advise me or try and make me jealous.

I live in Thailand because I see happy old men everywhere in the care of angels (or close to it) instead of being bag boys at the American grocery store.

Old guys and fallen angels yup they need us as much as we need them.wink.png

Leave me if you need to. I will still remember angel flying too close to the ground.

It makes me laugh how sensitive some expats are that they get all bothered about whether the locals like them.

I think he meant, that in Thailand so many deaths on the Road, and no one seems to bother, whereas anywhere else, we would all be shocked...... That's my interpretation....

Because we are human and value others lives.

Well I value peoples lives. Seems you dont care so you may be becoming Thai.

Rolox, many in my home country did not like me, why LOS different, whats in your head that matters....Pick up on stuff....I am so hansum I don't need to do much here... giggle.gif

Exactly. If you have some self esteem, you don't need to tie yourself in knots about whether people here respect you or value your life.

I think the longer you stay here and get to know the people/culture, the more frustrating/annoying some things become, but on the other hand, you also learn to live with it, expect it and accept it.

Not frustrating in the least. I did not move here expecting every thing to be the same and every one speak perfect English. Well yes it is a little frustrating that they don't know which side of the road to drive on. Some times they do.tongue.png

I have no problem with that. If I did I would move.wai.gif

Reminds me of a young couple I met in Pattaya a few years ago. They were in their early 30s and teaching English. They just loved it here in Thailand. They said they were planning on going home. I asked why if they liked it so much. They said there were so many cynical people around that they were starting to buy in to it also. So they wanted to leave before they got like the other cynical people. Thailand is to beautiful to have that kind of an outlook on it.

Reminds me of a young couple I met in Pattaya a few years ago. They were in their early 30s and teaching English. They just loved it here in Thailand. They said they were planning on going home. I asked why if they liked it so much. They said there were so many cynical people around that they were starting to buy in to it also. So they wanted to leave before they got like the other cynical people. Thailand is to beautiful to have that kind of an outlook on it.

It depends who you choose to surround yourself with. There are plenty of decent, positive people in Thailand. I'm not sure Pattaya is the best place to find them though.

They're just grumpy old men and would be equally as grumpy wherever they were in the world.

I like the young ones who couldn't make it and go back home and then send pictures and glowing reports on what a great mistake they made living in Thailand and are now happier than a pig in sh** since they moved back to the West.

I bought and sold 6 houses, 3 wives, 7 dogs and 3 corporations in Florida - like I don't know - what it's all about and need some young feller to advise me or try and make me jealous.

I live in Thailand because I see happy old men everywhere in the care of angels (or close to it) instead of being bag boys at the American grocery store.

Old guys and fallen angels yup they need us as much as we need them.wink.png

Leave me if you need to. I will still remember angel flying too close to the ground.

You know what Oscar Wilde said about the young? "I am not young enough to know everything"

The attitude & opinions of many expats on here & their constant moaning, exasperates me too.

Life is truly what you make it; we've all, no doubt had negative experiences & learnt to overcome them....at least some of us have.

Edited by faraday

I think the disgruntlement stems from the propensity some have for blaming everyone and everything else for their unhappiness.

Easy to tune/filter them out in real life - just walk away - but on here, they're insidious; hard to ignore them when their negativity seeps into every discussion

I think the disgruntlement stems from the propensity some have for blaming everyone and everything else for their unhappiness.

Easy to tune/filter them out in real life - just walk away - but on here, they're insidious; hard to ignore them when their negativity seeps into every discussion

Nobody forcing you to read or type here.

I don't care if the locals like me (they don't), I don't even care if my wife likes me (she doesn't).

What other people think is up to them. As long as they don't block my cycle lane.

I agree we need people to uplift not two people being hateful and cynical. Problem with cynical people is that they get angry when you don't agree with them

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Many expats never liked Thailand in the first place - just the fact that they could pay women to pretend to like them.

Don't knock it, 'till you've tried it!

Luckily, my wife pretends to like me free of charge.

Why would she do that?

Many expats never liked Thailand in the first place - just the fact that they could pay women to pretend to like them.

Why would she do that?

Maybe she isn't pretending.

Why would she do that?

Maybe she isn't pretending.

How can you tell the difference?

Who knows? But as you say, why would she pretend for free?