Inserting RAR subtitles into the movie.

giddyup

Hope I can explain this clearly as I'm not too computer literate. I've downloaded a trilogy called "Pusher" which are Danish movies but have the subtitles, including English in RAR files. I have a Open Knife RAR programme, but I'm not sure how to open and then insert the files into the movie. When the RAR file is opened it shows all the languages as SRT files, but how to attach them to the movie?

Edited by giddyup

Download an up-to-date copy of vlc, a video player, from www. videolan.org. Open the file with your movie in it. Then click on the "Subtitles" menu item, and then, "Add subtitle file."

There are other ways, of course. You might, for example, after opening the file in vlc, click on "View" in the menu bar, and then "Download subtitles." Vlc will then find the subtitle files on the internet. Doesn't always work, but convenient, when it does.

Download an up-to-date copy of vlc, a video player, from www. videolan.org. Open the file with your movie in it. Then click on the "Subtitles" menu item, and then, "Add subtitle file."

There are other ways, of course. You might, for example, after opening the file in vlc, click on "View" in the menu bar, and then "Download subtitles." Vlc will then find the subtitle files on the internet. Doesn't always work, but convenient, when it does.

That's fine if I want to watch the movie on my laptop via the VLC player, but I want to copy the movie (with subtitle) to a USB stick and watch on my big screen TV.

The subtitle file needs to have the exact same name as the movie and be in the same folder, the video player picks up the SRT file automatically.

You may need to synchronize the subtitles first with the movie, for which you use a software like subtitle workshop.

You can also combine the movie and synchronized subtitle file into a MKV file, if your television support MKV.

The subtitle file needs to have the exact same name as the movie and be in the same folder, the video player picks up the SRT file automatically.

You may need to synchronize the subtitles first with the movie, for which you use a software like subtitle workshop.

You can also combine the movie and synchronized subtitle file into a MKV file, if your television support MKV.

I download movies all the time that have attached subtitle files that are just called a srt file, not the same name as the movie. This sis the first time that I've had the subtitle as an RAR file.

In the watching on tv instance, unrar the subs then transcoding the video burning the subs in with handbrake.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean.

http://handbrake.fr

Download and install. Open up the movie. On the right side choose ipad preset. On the bottom go to subtitles and click the plus button to add the correct srt. Click the burn in check box. On the top of the programme click start. Wait for it to finish. You can also change the output path to your thumb drive.

In the watching on tv instance, unrar the subs then transcoding the video burning the subs in with handbrake.

Download and install. Open up the movie. On the right side choose ipad preset. On the bottom go to subtitles and click the plus button to add the correct srt. Click the burn in check box. On the top of the programme click start. Wait for it to finish. You can also change the output path to your thumb drive.

Thanks anyway, but too confusing for my luddite brain. gave it a try but it showed more than 1 hour to add the srt file which seemed ridiculous, so I was probably doing something wrong.

Thanks anyway, but too confusing for my luddite brain. gave it a try but it showed more than 1 hour to add the srt file which seemed ridiculous, so I was probably doing something wrong.

It is actually converting the file to an ipad capable file. So it needs time especially on a slower computer. If your tv plays other movies and allows you to use the srt in the same folder, just take the unrared english srt and drop it on your thumb drive with the clip.

The RAR file is a compressed file (like a Winzip file).

To use the SRT. file you will first need to open the RAR file and extract the SRT. file.

To open the file download a free program such as 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) then extract the SRT. file to a new folder.

The SRT. file does not have to be embedded into the movie but it does have to be in the same folder as the movie file.

Add the movie file to the same folder and make sure that they both have the same file name but remember that the SRT. file will have to have .srt at the end of the file name.

For example, if the file name of the movie is The Godfather then the file name for the SRT. file should be The Godfather.srt

Ensure that the device that you are playing the movie through has subtitles enabled.

For your future reference, one of the best sites to get your SRT. files from is http://www.opensubtitles.org/da/search

Edited by tonytigerbkk

As a couple of other posters have said, all you need is to have the movie file and the SRT filed named exactly the same and in the same place.

As an example, when you look at the files on a computer you want to have pusher.mp4 and pusher.srt in the same folder on a USB drive.

When I insert a USB drive in to my Samsung TV I only see the movie listed, but when I play it the TV reads the seemingly hidden SRT file and the movie is played back with subtitles.

I download movies all the time that have attached subtitle files that are just called a srt file, not the same name as the movie.

This is the first time that I've had the subtitle as an RAR file.

Giddyup, if your TV supports .srt files for displaying subtitles, and this has worked fine for you in the past, then just do as tonytigerbkk just explained.

Open the RAR file and select the .srt for the language you want.

Select Extract/Export and place the .srt file with your movie. Copy as usual to your memory device.

If the previous .srt files were named exactly as the movie then do the same with your extracted file.

Use of RAR and ZIP are just methods to keep things bundled together nicely and cut down on space used for storage. Just extract what you need from the compressed file.

Before you go to all the work described above read the comments on the movie. Of course we all have different likes thank God makes us all unique.

A 7.4 rating on IMDB and mostly positive reviews. Nothing wrong with that.

• 2 years later...