Honda CBR250R Lighting and switch question.

Vogele123

I do not know anyone else around here that has a CBR, so maybe you can answer a couple of queries?

1: The first thing when comparing this bike to the Honda MSX is that as soon as I turn the ignition to the "ON" position and the bike comes alive - the headlight beam is switched on - The Honda MSX is a better system, the beam does not come on until the engine has fired up. Is there some switch faulty on the CBR or do all CBR's do this?

2: Sidestand Switch - Well my CBR does not seem to have one, it is mentioned in the manual but I have checked and there is no electrical connection there at all, it does have a clutch switch which prevents you from starting the engine in gear with clutch released. Again, anyone got a Thai CBR that does have the sidestand switch.

I believe that mine is a 2012 ABS, it was registered end of 2011, but carries the 2012 fuel stickers on the tank.

Any ideas?

(Not that I want a sidestand switch as I would hate for the engine to cut out in a corner if it decided to go "faulty" as I have seen on some BMW's)

Yes, both are normal.

Some tips for the little CBR.

Change the tires, Michelin do some cheap ones that are still way better than the stock.

K&N airfilter is the best cheap mod. About 1,500b. Much better low and mid-end.

The pipe weighs like an anchor, get rid of it and get an aftermarket one on. Not a Thai made one if possible.

Beware of fitting an exhaust with a large diameter down pipe - I did and the bike lost a huge amount of torque and sounded horribly antisocial. I then had the original 'gutted' and it gained a huge amount over std with nearly as much top end and sounded just right - like an old fashioned 'thumper'.

DLang - do you mean replacing the whole airbox or just putting a K&N element in the std one?

Beware of fitting an exhaust with a large diameter down pipe - I did and the bike lost a huge amount of torque and sounded horribly antisocial. I then had the original 'gutted' and it gained a huge amount over std with nearly as much top end and sounded just right - like an old fashioned 'thumper'.

DLang - do you mean replacing the whole airbox or just putting a K&N element in the std one?

Had the same problem with my cb300f. Fitted a local made slip on exhaust and lost a ton of power and made too much noise. Ended up making a baffle that slips in the end and holds in with a screw. Lots of trial and error but basically had to restrict the exhaust flow quite a bit to get the power back.

Can buy ready made baffles on eBay for about $5 delivered from china.

Me and another forum member had good success quietening up Thai made exhausts. Don't waste your money on fancy stuff from abroad, at least not on this bike.

It ain't no ducati