Which types of Western degrees do well in the Thai job market?

Suppose that you are about to start at a university in the West with the long term of goal of using your acquired degree to secure a (preferably high paying) job in Thailand. What are some of the best subjects to study that will transfer well in the Thai job market?

Would anything related to healthcare/medicine be of little use?

There is actually very little talk on this forum about working and/or getting a job in Thailand (besides english teaching).

Engineering. But don't plan on coming straight here out of college as you need experience and most likely some supervisory skills.

The high paying Engineering jobs in Thailand and i mean engineering jobs not "IT Engineering" typically require the person to have 15 years plus real life experience as they are paying for the experience not the degree per se

If the OPs sole motivation to study is to secure a high paying job in Thailand one could suggest his motivation is somewhat miss guided

There is no degree where you can just complete school, with no job experience, and expect to slide into a high paying job in Thailand. It doesn't work that way. Even degrees in medicine or law may be useless in Thailand if you can't speak a lick of Thai. Teaching jobs are available (not necessarily English) in international schools and some universities, but they'd require a Masters or PhD (university level). They are not what I would consider "high paying," but reasonable. IT degrees are fairly marketable, but it's really a hit-and-miss in terms of the types of jobs available. That's why so many guys are freelancing it, although that's a very unreliable income.

Honestly, if you're going to work your ass off getting a technical degree, you're much better off starting out your work career in the west. The starting pay will be much higher and you'll be getting some valuable experience.

To be honest, it is actually quite easy to get a good job in Thailand...

1. Look at the reasons why Thailand is still a developing country.

2. Get a degree in a relevant field. Back up your degree with internships, work experiences, certificates, etc.

3. Apply for jobs with international NGOs or IGOs in Thailand.

4. PROFIT!

For example...

1. Using your brain, deduce that one of the million reasons why Thailand is still a developing country is because of high child mortality.

2. Get a degree in pediatrics. Volunteer in Africa to give antibiotic pills to children, thereby saving them from diarrhea. Publish a report on epidemiology.

3. Apply for a job at UNICEF.

4. Make a nontaxable 200k/month starting.

2. Get a degree in a relevant field. Back up your degree with internships, work experiences, certificates, etc.

4. PROFIT!

For example...

1. Using your brain, deduce that one of the million reasons why Thailand is still a developing country is because of high child mortality.

2. Get a degree in pediatrics. Volunteer in Africa to give antibiotic pills to children, thereby saving them from diarrhea. Publish a report on epidemiology.

Shouldn't the degree be in Epidemiology?

Quite simple really:

Master the Thai language, reading, writing and speaking.

That will put you at the head of every line an expat is eligible for.

Best of luck ...

Engineering. But don't plan on coming straight here out of college as you need experience and most likely some supervisory skills.

The high paying Engineering jobs in Thailand and i mean engineering jobs not "IT Engineering" typically require the person to have 15 years plus real life experience as they are paying for the experience not the degree per se

If the OPs sole motivation to study is to secure a high paying job in Thailand one could suggest his motivation is somewhat miss guided

"miss guided" great pun

0 degree needed when daddy runs a big company

This is neither funny, or makes any sense.

Please do not drink and drive.

High paying was a poor choice of words since that might mean different things to different people. I would like to be able to get a job in Thailand that pays similar to what I would expect to be paid coming out of school in the West. For example, after four years of school in the West I would expect to be making ~150,000 baht a month. Is that unreasonable? If I were to have a four year degree out of the West in engineering what type of salary should I expect to make in Thailand?

High paying was a poor choice of words since that might mean different things to different people. I would like to be able to get a job in Thailand that pays similar to what I would expect to be paid coming out of school in the West. For example, after four years of school in the West I would expect to be making ~150,000 baht a month. Is that unreasonable? If I were to have a four year degree out of the West in engineering what type of salary should I expect to make in Thailand?

Coming out of school with no working experience, no Thai language skills, no real understanding of the culture and how to work with Thai people, and most importantly .. no connections .. yes, i would say 150,000 THB is a pipe dream.

That is my opinion.

Trust me, every Expat I know has a College degree, many at the Master's level, and even the handful of PHD's ... sorry to say ... college degree? No big deal.

Like everywhere else in the world, experience is what we pay for, and the degree is just like a passport that is required to cross the threshold.

This is a very odd posting by you. It seems to say "I have no focus, passion or interest in any particular subject, and just want to make money."

No worries:

Let me give you my best advice.

Seven Steps to Happiness

Skip college for 4 years.

(1) Get a job with a reputable recruiting firm, even if you need to start at the bottom.

(2) Work your arse off, and I mean really .. 60 hours a week ++

(3) Work your way up, and make a TON of money.

(4) BANK that money !!

(5) Move to Thailand, and do recruiting remotely from the Kingdom.

(6) Find an awesome play mate, but NEVER transfer any assets to that person under any circumstances.

(7) Find me in 4 years, and thank me over dinner at the Mandarin Oriental.

(555, ok, in fact, "Six Steps to Happiness")

You're welcome.

Edited by Guest

Nice posts. From rading the posts I would say that having an engineering degree from the West and some experience makes it fairly easy to get a job in Thailand. Sorry but it isnt so. I have tried with a vast amount of experience a degree and full memberhip of professional institutions but the usual reply "would love to have you but have to hire Thai's". 200k per month is not really a high paying job either. Get that much in the UK

Nice posts. From rading the posts I would say that having an engineering degree from the West and some experience makes it fairly easy to get a job in Thailand. Sorry but it isnt so. I have tried with a vast amount of experience a degree and full memberhip of professional institutions but the usual reply "would love to have you but have to hire Thai's". 200k per month is not really a high paying job either. Get that much in the UK

That is great input from a person who is highly qualified to reflect on the odds of getting an Engineering job straight out of school>

His degree is Engineering .. so listen to him.

My degree is Finance, so his input on the relative value of 200,000 THB, by comparing it to life in the UK .. "not so much."

Once you land your job...the real education begins...where a degree of common sense, patience, tolerance, and perseverance...will be needed to maintain a balanced life in Thailand...

As some who actually works in Engineering in Thailand and is sometimes involved in recruiting people as well here is my interview question to you

Why should i hire you over a Thai national who has also completed studies at a Western University ? given you need a work permit to work here and you have absolutely no experience so why should i pay you 150k/m when i can hire a western educationed Thai graduate at the same zero experience level for 60 to 80k month and dont have to get a WP

If you have the needed skills and experience jobs are not that hard to come by

That is great input from a person who is highly qualified to reflect on the odds of getting an Engineering job straight out of school>

His degree is Engineering .. so listen to him.

My degree is Finance, so his input on the relative value of 200,000 THB, by comparing it to life in the UK .. "not so much."

Actually I have a honours degree in engineering with over 30 experience. Not out of school (you should know you dont get degrees from school) and far more experienced than many people in engineering. Incidentially my experience does not come from living in the UK but from working around thee world. If you have a degree in Finance it accounts for your crass comments

Edited by gandalf12

Tell that to people like Chevron. They agree they want to hire me but are scared of breaking any of the employment laws

Tell that to people like Chevron. They agree they want to hire me but are scared of breaking any of the employment laws

Under the terms of the mineral act the likes of PTTEP and the company you mentioned can hire anyone they like provided the DMF approve the postion nothing to do with breaking any labour laws

Under the terms of the mineral act the likes of PTTEP and the company you mentioned can hire anyone they like provided the DMF approve the postion nothing to do with breaking any labour laws

Ummm, how can I say this?

No, no and no.

That is absurd on so many levels I would not know where to begin. Long story short, my best (Thai) friend works for one of the top Recruiting firm for Chevron, and placing a foreigner there is a multi daily occurrence.

By the way, the top senor "salt and pepper" people are making between .. ready?... 1,000,000 to 3,000,000 THB PER MONTH.

So yes, advanced degrees, decades of experience? You bet you can get the dream job!

Can you even imagine living in the Kingdom on a 3,000,000 per month salary?

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they do "not agree to hire you..." ... or they would have long ago.

Edited by Guest

Ummm, how can I say this?

No, no and no.

That is absurd on so many levels I would not know where to begin. Long story short, my best (Thai) friend works for one of the top Recruiting firm for Chevron, and placing a foreigner there is a multi daily occurrence.

By the way, the top senor "salt and pepper" people are making between .. ready?... 1,000,000 to 3,000,000 THB PER MONTH.

So yes, advanced degrees, decades of experience? You bet you can get the dream job!

Can you even imagine living in the Kingdom on a 3,000,000 per month salary?

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they do "not agree to hire you..." ... or they would have long ago.

Personally i think all that has happened to "Gandalf" is that he has had a soft turndown thats all, typically if an O&G operator wants someone they will get them and Thailand is no different in this regard one suspects

Edited by Soutpeel

Soutpeel - You dont really get "soft turndown" in the O&G industry they are usually quite blunt. Thinking about it I think it probably went to the wrong people

Been 25 years in offshore O&G working for operators

you have had the soft brush off trust me, belive me or dont..

Fact is these days you cant send anything to the wrong people, the HR dept rightly or wrongly control everything

Edited by Soutpeel

OP you could also consider Hospitality Management. General Managers of 5 star hotels are well paid, have excellent benefits and much nicer food, beverage and accommodation than the O&G brigade.

The only problem is that you won't get to be a GM right out of university. It takes years of hard work to get there.

Like every other industry, in Hospitality you are hired both for your ability and your experience.

I think you are going to struggle to get 100k baht a month straight out of uni. You could always skip uni altogether and become a successful digital nomad instead...

lol, "miss guided". I see what you did there -- very clever. ;-)

4. PROFIT!

For example...

First thing to do would be to use your brain and find out if Thailand actually has a high infant mortality rate. wai2.gif

Why go the degree route? Simply serve an apprenticeship as a welder / rigger, get qualified as an inspector & job's a good 'un! Then you can earn tons of money working in Singapore, supervising the local tradesman & holiday in LOS between contracts. Only one problem - 50% youth unemployment in the west & there's been no such thing as an apprentice for 20 years, at least in the UK. Tony Blair basically gave the nod to engineering firms that they didn't need to spend money on training indigenous staff, as there was a ready supply of 'qualified' workers from Eastern Europe.

On second thoughts, better to do an engineering degree, be one of the lucky 1% that passes the entrance to a graduate training scheme, graft for 20 years in Africa or worse...then with a bit of luck get a choice posting out here.

Good luck.