Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Papua province

webfact

Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Papua province

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — A strong earthquake has rocked Indonesia's easternmost province of Papua, but there are no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the magnitude-7.0 underground quake struck at 6:41 a.m. Tuesday (2141 GMT) and was centered 247 kilometers (153 miles) west of Jayapura, the provincial capital of Papua.

Its depth was measured at 52.9 kilometers (32.8 miles) beneath the remote mountainous region of the island.

Indonesia is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire." A massive earthquake off Sumatra island in 2004 triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries, mostly in Indonesia's Aceh province.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-28

CORRECTION ...

West papua is NOT part of Indonesia ...

In 1961, West Papua was promised independence from their former Dutch colonial rulers. Indonesia, however, wanted to take over the country to get access to the vast mineral and timber resources of West Papua. The US pressured the Netherlands to give West Papua to Indonesia.

Indonesia was granted interim control of the territory until West Papua’s future was decided. West Papuans were not consulted. The United Nations promised the West Papuans they eventually get a say in determining their own destiny.

In 1969, the UN organised what was farcically known as an “Act of Free Choice”. Indonesia selected 1025 people to take part, then forced them at gun-point to vote for incorporation with Indonesia.

Since the invasion and occupation of West Papua, the Indonesian army and police have carried out a policy of slow, but systematic genocide against the indigenous Papuans. Before the Indonesian invasion the native Papuans were 98% of the population, today they are only 48%.

CORRECTION ...

West papua is NOT part of Indonesia ...

In 1961, West Papua was promised independence from their former Dutch colonial rulers. Indonesia, however, wanted to take over the country to get access to the vast mineral and timber resources of West Papua. The US pressured the Netherlands to give West Papua to Indonesia.

Indonesia was granted interim control of the territory until West Papua’s future was decided. West Papuans were not consulted. The United Nations promised the West Papuans they eventually get a say in determining their own destiny.

In 1969, the UN organised what was farcically known as an “Act of Free Choice”. Indonesia selected 1025 people to take part, then forced them at gun-point to vote for incorporation with Indonesia.

Since the invasion and occupation of West Papua, the Indonesian army and police have carried out a policy of slow, but systematic genocide against the indigenous Papuans. Before the Indonesian invasion the native Papuans were 98% of the population, today they are only 48%.

2Nd correction West Papua IS part of Indonesia and you can write whatever you want but it wont change anything.

systematic genocide against the indigenous Papuans-- How? That the economy over there is better than in PNG?

That some people actually might work instead of just chewing betel?

Anyway the west papua is the least safe part of Indonesia.

rtr4 ... I will write what I think and know, as opposed to being an ignorant <deleted>, like you ... and it will change eventually

And this Ignorant (whatever you wrote) have seen it both (Irian and PNG) and economic differences are big. Indonesia is a powerful country compare to PNG so i think your wish might not be true for very very long time. Ah did i mention that i met one of worst scums over there (irian) and expected same type of people in PNG? But surprisingly not and i met VERY nice people in PNG.

rtr4 ... I will write what I think and know, as opposed to being an ignorant <deleted>, like you ... and it will change eventually

And this Ignorant (whatever you wrote) have seen it both (Irian and PNG) and economic differences are big. Indonesia is a powerful country compare to PNG so i think your wish might not be true for very very long time. Ah did i mention that i met one of worst scums over there (irian) and expected same type of people in PNG? But surprisingly not and i met VERY nice people in PNG.

Irian Jaya is West Papua, adjoined to East Papua, AKA Papua New Guinea; it is one and the same place, an island not connected to Indonesia.

The corrupt UN (the front for the USA), 'gave' Irian Jaya / West Papua to Indonesia and East Papua to Australia; Australia 'gave' independence to Papua New Guinea on 16 September 1975

If I came to your property, and divided it between two people without your consent, would you accept it? if i stole your resources from your land and made money out of it, am I technically wealthy or is it your wealth?

Heard of East timor?

Edited by Daniel Boon