Need Help New Work Permit No 90 Day Check In

I am going to leave Thailand to get a new visa for my new work permit. I have never left Thailand and never checked in. I heard that the new regulation may cause me a problem, so I have a few questions.

When I leave Thailand will I have to pay?

Can I just go to immigration and check in (I heard the fee would be 2000 THB, NP)

Basically, will I have any problems? I am going to Malaysia. Penang Island.

Desmond - I think the guy is a newbie, he hasn't been here long (correct me if wrong).

Nope - you won't have a problem. You have to do quite abit running around when going through the process of getting a work permitt, and at the start you will have to still do visa runs - so your situation is quite normal. Their is a writeup somewhere on the visa/workpermitt threads that describes quite well exactly what happens before it all falls into place and you no longer have to keep running from one office to the next. I suggest you read it, because it is critical you get your timing right and do not miss any f the steps - else you find yourself back in square one having to repeat everything right from the start.

Its frustrating, its annoying - its the way it works, but so long as al your paperwork is in order and you are a genuine applicant (i.e. not trying to fiddle the system - which is why all these changes are taking place - you will not have a problem.

But why are you going out by train?

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention that I have lived here for 8 years on a work permit that I will have to change soon. I am not a newbie. I am just wondering if I will have to pay a fine when I leave the country because I have never done a 90 day check in. EVER. Hope this helps you answer my question. :o

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention that I have lived here for 8 years on a work permit that I will have to change soon. I am not a newbie. I am just wondering if I will have to pay a fine when I leave the country because I have never done a 90 day check in. EVER. Hope this helps you answer my question. :o

You have been making annual trips to Immigration for your one year extensions to your Non Immigrant visa, correct?

I have been renewing my one year visa every year. I have never left Thailand since I got here 8 years ago. I got a work permit right away so I didn't have to leave this wonderful country. Sorry, I went to Malaysia a long time ago to get my first and last non-immigrant B. So, I am wondering if I have to pay a fine for not ever doing the 90 day check in. :o

The OP is talking about the 90-days-report(s) under For TM 47.

http://www.thaivisa.com/315.0.html

The rules and fines do exist. I doubt there will be a problem when leaving Thailand, however, the risk is there as immigration at the border might scrutinize your p/port more closely, leaving after so many years.

Believe, your previous W/P is cancelled and thus the extention of stay cancelled as well, i.e. you should leave the country within 7 days.

The only thing I could say, leave, smile. Since you are not on overstay, maybe you are just stamped out, as your present permit is still valid. I never left over land border, however, at the airport never heard of any problems, neither had my wife who left often, without having done the 90-days-report(s) under her extented stay non-imm O.

IME you only experience problems from not doing the 90 day report

when you go to the Immigration office for renewal, or an address letter.

At the border they do not check.

There is no record in your passport of reporting, only the silly slips,

and you can say you have thrown them away.