motorcycle helmet for baby

jpmerlin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I ask how you are intending to carry the baby on a motorcycle? I appreciate that you are trying to do the right thing, but a baby carried in someones arms is not safe even if it is wearing a helmet.

The law in the UK requires that a pillion passenger must be able to put their feet on the proper foot pegs before they are allowed legally to be on the back.

Two of the risks from carrying a baby in arms are crushing injuries sustained from landing on top of the baby or as I know happened recently on Koh Samui. A minor loss of control caused the women rider to fall off, her baby rolled into the road and was run over by a truck.

I do understand 'TiT' but if you want to try and carry a baby on a motorcycle I would think the only compromise to some degree of safety would be some kind of Child Safety Seat similar to one used in a car.

May I ask how you are intending to carry the baby on a motorcycle? I appreciate that you are trying to do the right thing, but a baby carried in someones arms is not safe even if it is wearing a helmet.

The law in the UK requires that a pillion passenger must be able to put their feet on the proper foot pegs before they are allowed legally to be on the back.

Two of the risks from carrying a baby in arms are crushing injuries sustained from landing on top of the baby or as I know happened recently on Koh Samui. A minor loss of control caused the women rider to fall off, her baby rolled into the road and was run over by a truck.

I do understand 'TiT' but if you want to try and carry a baby on a motorcycle I would think the only compromise to some degree of safety would be some kind of Child Safety Seat similar to one used in a car.

3 years old is hardly a new born baby so I imagine the kid will sit in front of the rider holding onto the front. Luckily we are not in the UK.

@jpmerlin: The best I have seen are from Index, hardly Arai, but the best you can get here for kids. I bought one for my friend's 3 year old (550baht) and she loves it. I'm sure any shop can order it for you or perhaps even the Index website offers delivery.

post-80215-0-33875600-1438165307_thumb.j

The Thai visa safety advisor has spoken

Please think very carefully about what you have said. Please do not ride with 3 year old baby on a motorcycle. I see bodies everyday laying on the road. Please dont let it be your baby I see next.

Poor kid. sad.png

How are families that can't afford a car supposed to transport their kids?

How do people that can't afford motorcycles do it?

Bicycle, songteow, etc.

Just because you don't value your child's life, don't think that everybody else shouldn't value their children's life also.

coffee1.gif

Poor kid. sad.png

Bicycle, songteow, etc.

Just because you don't value your child's life, don't think that everybody else shouldn't value their children's life also.

coffee1.gif

I value all children's lives but like it or not motorcycles are essential transport in Asia.

Please think very carefully about what you have said. Please do not ride with 3 year old baby on a motorcycle. I see bodies everyday laying on the road. Please dont let it be your baby I see next.

Every day?? Where the hell are you driving every day?

Poor kid. sad.png

Bicycle, songteow, etc.

coffee1.gif

I value all children's lives but like it or not motorcycles are essential transport in Asia.

The only essential transport are ambulances.

Everything else is negotiable, especially putting one's young children on motorcycles on roads that are so manic.

So no, you're completely wrong in this regard.

coffee1.gif

Like it or not,right or wrong people carrying small babies in arms,children standing behind parents or in front in the foot well,kids with kids on the back is a daily occurrence in Thailand and much of SEA.

As stated using a motorcycle for many is their only means of transport it's simply ludicrous to say other wise.

Just because it's not right and not what some think is the done think,it is exactly what happens every single night and day on Thai roads per se.

Poor kid. sad.png

Bicycle, songteow, etc.

coffee1.gif

The only essential transport are ambulances.

Everything else is negotiable, especially putting one's young children on motorcycles on roads that are so manic.

So no, you're completely wrong in this regard.

coffee1.gif

Then why do I see kids and families on motorbikes every day? I'd never do it myself but it's the main mode of transport for many people here.

Yes it does happen every day, one reason why the Thai Road Accident rates are so high.

When I was faced with the same issue in the UK I fitted a child seat to my pushbike. Then when I could afford it I fitted a side car to my Z1 Kawasaki so I could get my lad about. Sidecar was fitted with a roll cage and proper child safety seat. Yes I have a car licence but I choose to use a motorcycle. This also was the norm in the UK of the 50's and 60's where the 'working mans' transport was the motorcycle.

In Thailand there are many sidecars. It would not be difficult to modify one to have a proper child safety seat. Just saying "that's the way it is" does not help. People need to take responsabillity for the safety of themselves and their families. Things need to change.

http://nosurprise.org.uk/

Then why do I see kids and families on motorbikes every day?

Because the riders are lazy simpletons that take the most convenient option at the massively increased risk to the life of their child.

And in a real country the children would likely be taken off them.

Perhaps you haven't been in Thailand long enough to understand the society, culture and belief systems at play.

Never mind.

coffee1.gif

Then why do I see kids and families on motorbikes every day?

Because the riders are lazy simpletons that take the most convenient option at the massively increased risk to the life of their child.

And in a real country the children would likely be taken off them.

Perhaps you haven't been in Thailand long enough to understand the society, culture and belief systems at play.

Never mind.

coffee1.gif

I've lived here 10 years and am just saying what I see every day. Insulting people is not my style.

Just because you see something everyday, does not make it right, and does not mean that there are no other options for the people.

Just that they choose that option over others.

Laziness.

Stupidity.

Because they can and is seen as the cultural norm.

Believe system.

The main reasons why they do it.

Just because you see something everyday, does not make it right, and does not mean that there are no other options for the people.

Laziness.

Stupidity.

Believe system.

Did I say it was right? It's just how it is. I don't whereabouts in Thailand you live, but if the sight of children upsets and angers you so much, I hope it's not rural Thailand. At least the OP is getting his kid a helmet.

Poor kid. :(

You can get a reasonable 2nd hand car for under 100,000. Who comes here and doesn't have that money for transportation? Its hardly more than a new scooter! Or a years fee at a international school. Or 2 airfares back home....

I dont get it.

Laziness.

Stupidity.

Believe system.

Did I say it was right?

You excused it on the grounds that it is a 'necessity'.

It isn't.

It is a choice based on convenience, laziness, stupidity and culture.

It's just how it is.

Culture isn't 'just how it is'.

It is always changing (and hopefully progressing).

Stop trying to find excuses, you should be better than that.

*Sighs* The safety police are here again.

Please moderators, can you do something about these trolls that constantly post off topic opinions. The OP asked where to get child helmets, not for a safety lecture by know it alls.

Poor kid. sad.png

Don't have kids if you can't take care of them safely.

Yeah right, perhaps you think it would have been better for all those unplanned children to be aborted, in case their parents decide to take them on a motorbike.

*Sighs* The safety police are here again.

Please moderators, can you do something about these trolls that constantly post off topic opinions. The OP asked where to get child helmets, not for a safety lecture by know it alls.

Herein lies the problem,westerner comes to Thailand and perceives that life should be the same here as back home.

Simply leave your western ideologies with the ex wife.

Thailand like lots of countries is changing and developing,but pair their minuscule education for most and the Lord buddha and you have a recipe for disaster,people simply don't think about the consequences.

Well as nobody seems to have helped the OP find one near Udon Thani, this website has a store in Chiang Mai but also does web orders and accepts credit card payment online. Good, honest company, if you call, some English is spoken.

Kids helmets

It would be good if someone can suggest somewhere in Udon though as trying one on would be better. Worst case, measure size of head, give them a call and ask which size they think would be best. Worst case scenario is you've spent a few hundred baht on a helmet that doesn't fit but you can always give it away to someone else who might need it.