motorcycle helmet for baby

jpmerlin

May I ask how you are intending to carry the baby on a motorcycle? I appreciate that you are trying to do the right thing, but a baby carried in someones arms is not safe even if it is wearing a helmet.

The law in the UK requires that a pillion passenger must be able to put their feet on the proper foot pegs before they are allowed legally to be on the back.

Two of the risks from carrying a baby in arms are crushing injuries sustained from landing on top of the baby or as I know happened recently on Koh Samui. A minor loss of control caused the women rider to fall off, her baby rolled into the road and was run over by a truck.

I do understand 'TiT' but if you want to try and carry a baby on a motorcycle I would think the only compromise to some degree of safety would be some kind of Child Safety Seat similar to one used in a car.

3 years old is hardly a new born baby so I imagine the kid will sit in front of the rider holding onto the front. Luckily we are not in the UK.

@jpmerlin: The best I have seen are from Index, hardly Arai, but the best you can get here for kids. I bought one for my friend's 3 year old (550baht) and she loves it. I'm sure any shop can order it for you or perhaps even the Index website offers delivery.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150519_205759228.jpg

Seen it all now.. ''Luckily we are not in the UK'' ??? No way would i be carrying a 3 year old on a Motorcycle....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you see something everyday, does not make it right, and does not mean that there are no other options for the people.

Just that they choose that option over others.

Laziness.

Stupidity.

Because they can and is seen as the cultural norm.

Believe system.

The main reasons why they do it.

Did I say it was right? It's just how it is. I don't whereabouts in Thailand you live, but if the sight of children upsets and angers you so much, I hope it's not rural Thailand. At least the OP is getting his kid a helmet.

The helmet is superficial,a bit like the lucky amulets,I forbid my wife to ride and or take my daughter on a motorcycle here.I think I have managed to get the message across that it only takes 1 accident to ruin many lives.I have seen first hand too many accidents.My wife now drives a car and comments about motorcycle drivers,but because she is Thai she does not openly express her thoughts.I have taught my daughter to comment on the bad standard of driving here.When we experience the situation we both say,"He's a (from Newark ":) work it out for yourself.

Poor kid. sad.png

How are families that can't afford a car supposed to transport their kids?

Words fail me with this comment....

I'll answer for you. They use a motorbike. Travel to rural Thailand and you'll see. Quite disturbing but no one bats an eye.

Poor kid. sad.png

I'll answer for you. They use a motorbike. Travel to rural Thailand and you'll see. Quite disturbing but no one bats an eye.

you are quite correct,no one bahts an eyelid when it comes to their kids safety,but they do baht an eyelid if their truck is in an accident

May I ask how you are intending to carry the baby on a motorcycle? I appreciate that you are trying to do the right thing, but a baby carried in someones arms is not safe even if it is wearing a helmet.

The law in the UK requires that a pillion passenger must be able to put their feet on the proper foot pegs before they are allowed legally to be on the back.

Two of the risks from carrying a baby in arms are crushing injuries sustained from landing on top of the baby or as I know happened recently on Koh Samui. A minor loss of control caused the women rider to fall off, her baby rolled into the road and was run over by a truck.

I do understand 'TiT' but if you want to try and carry a baby on a motorcycle I would think the only compromise to some degree of safety would be some kind of Child Safety Seat similar to one used in a car.

3 years old is hardly a new born baby so I imagine the kid will sit in front of the rider holding onto the front. Luckily we are not in the UK.

@jpmerlin: The best I have seen are from Index, hardly Arai, but the best you can get here for kids. I bought one for my friend's 3 year old (550baht) and she loves it. I'm sure any shop can order it for you or perhaps even the Index website offers delivery.

At least if the OP gets his kid in the habit of wearing a helmet at 3 years old, the kid might be more likely to keep the habit as they get older and able to ride on bikes properly.

Poor kid. sad.png

"How are families that can't afford a car supposed to transport their kids?"

"I'll answer for you. They use a motorbike."

But that isn't an answer to that question.

coffee1.gif

Are you a native English speaker? Just asking as you seem to be muddled up about what people are saying and don't even understand your own question.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

If you don't like the way some things are done in Thailand, Then the best you can do is to not do them yourself. If Thailand followed all the rules of are various homelands then I doubt most of us wouldnt be here in the first place. You have to take the bad with the good. Or you just end up waiting fr the eventual slow boat back home.

If you don't like the way some things are done in Thailand, Then the best you can do is to not do them yourself. If Thailand followed all the rules of are various homelands then I doubt most of us wouldnt be here in the first place. You have to take the bad with the good. Or you just end up waiting fr the eventual slow boat back home.

Indeed. Some of us just get on with living here. But I'm not really surprised that many find it difficult.

If you don't like the way some things are done in Thailand, Then the best you can do is to not do them yourself.

Isn't that what we're doing by not taking our children on our motorbikes? huh.png

Or have you bizarrely taken up the Don't like it, Go Home troll? It's quite a common defense-mechanism when a poster is incorrect, has been shown to be incorrect, but cannot admit it. sad.png (Brewster, not you)

coffee1.gif

Edited by Happy Grumpy

So many people telling others how to live their lives. My mum used to teach me not to stick my nose in other peoples' business. How come you lot weren't taught basic manners.

The guy asked a question. It wasn't "should I take my three year old on a motorbike?"

At least if the OP gets his kid in the habit of wearing a helmet at 3 years old, the kid might be more likely to keep the habit as they get older and able to ride on bikes properly.

Well that may seem like a good idea to try and prove a point but the reality is somewhat different. The Childs skull is still growing and forming until the child is around four, it will continue growing until they are about 12 but the skull cap is still forming until 4. so unless you are going to buy multiple helmets you are not going to keep up with the right size fitment. Forcing the child to wear a helmet that they have grown out of and hurts their head after 2 months is not going to encourage them to take up helmet use.

I would never consider the sort of poor quality helmets they sell in Tesco's to be the right standard of protection for use on a motorcycle. Tesco's helmets tend to be toys. Tesco does not sell motorcycle helmets it the UK, nobody would buy one, well except maybe for kids on scooters who did not know any better. At most they will sell is push bike or moped use helmets.

Someone posted a link to Helmets 2 home. Good site. Even has my current helmet on their 21500bht Shoei Neotech http://helmet2home.com/product.detail_1090687_th_6420744

I bought three the last time I could afford it (redundancy money!) One for me and one each for my partner and son.

Yes the Helmets 2 home site does sell children's helmets, but they are not in the same league. Even the most expensive are not fit for service. They mention foam lining and no mention of any safety standards passed.

You will also find my helmet listed under the Sharp UK Gov helmet test - http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/shoei-neotec

If you can show me one young Childs helmet that compares to the same standard as the helmets I already use it would at least be a start.

Helmets are not just about sticking a bucket on your head. The construction of the lining is what protects the skull. It must also stay on the head in an accident. The shell must also not shatter or brake on impact.

Also how do you explain to a four year old what to do if things go wrong?

The law in Thailand states that there should only be two people on a motorcycle and the pillion passenger should sit on the seat designed for the rider astride the machine.

(Section 121 road traffic act http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf ) Not between someones legs. There are reasons for this. For an easy example what happens if there is a collision? Front of the bike stops but the rider is thrown forward. Crushing anything between the riders mass and the handlebars. I would not want my child crushed by me travelling at 40 kph!

I know some will say "But TiT!" But that would be just like me saying "But This is Britain" 40 years ago. Standards in the UK then being similar to where Thailand is now. I have seen how much the UK has changed, lessons learned. I have been a Motorcycle Instructor trainer through a lot of the process, I would never want Thailand to be as restrictive as the UK. But it is coming because there is a lot of international pressure to address the current situation. Question is do you continue to do what is the norm and carry on regardless or take the best advice for keeping your kid alive?

As a biker I know two wheels are never going to be the safest mode of transport. I am already reading elsewhere about the possibility that in my lifetime we will see the outlaw of human drivers and riders in favour of autonomous self driving vehicles as they will be safer than us! I really hate the idea. I value my freedom. But you also have to balance freedom with safety. I had a friend many years ago who came off on a corner. Slowing for a junction he hit gravel. His helmet was not secured properly and came off his head. From a slow speed he bumped his head on the curb stone. Once he came out of the coma it was discovered the bang on his head had messed up his speech cortex in his brain. We know he was the same guy but when someone met him for the first time they would think he was stupid as that is how he spoke. I would not wish that on anyone.

At least the OP is buying a helmet for his young kid, most Thai parents wouldnt do that . Maybe the dad driving is the only one wearing a helmet. .TIT.

From my observations Thais do care about their kids , they just can't think about safety as a normal thing here, and of course Buddha will protect them.

However if it was me with a 3 year oild I would look for a real helmet and not one from Big C , a decent helmet you can import from Europe for 4000 baht, I doubt you can buy them in Thailand.

Some comments here are so out of touch with reality (possibly because the posters don't even live in Thailand) that it's not worth commenting on.

OP, well done for planning to buy a helmet for your kid. I've got one for mine and he loves wearing it so I know that when he is of age to ride a bike himself, he will always don a helmet.

Some comments here are so out of touch with reality (possibly because the posters don't even live in Thailand) that it's not worth commenting on.

OP, well done for planning to buy a helmet for your kid. I've got one for mine and he loves wearing it so I know that when he is of age to ride a bike himself, he will always don a helmet.

Amazing how many people move to Thailand and follow the saying monkey see, monkey do.

The Thais do it, so common sense and basic intelligence are put aside, and they then do it too.

Perhaps they just aren't very intelligent from the get go.

"I've got one for mine and he loves wearing it so I know that when he is of age to ride a bike himself, he will always don a helmet."

That's the best grab for some sort of logic I've seen in quite a while. biggrin.png congratulations. biggrin.png

At least the OP is buying a helmet for his young kid, most Thai parents wouldnt do that . Maybe the dad driving is the only one wearing a helmet. .TIT.

From my observations Thais do care about their kids , they just can't think about safety as a normal thing here, and of course Buddha will protect them.

However if it was me with a 3 year oild I would look for a real helmet and not one from Big C , a decent helmet you can import from Europe for 4000 baht, I doubt you can buy them in Thailand.

Thais think ''Buddha'' will protect them ?? , he aint doing a good job so far.....

At least the family members are left with lottery numbers. rolleyes.gifsad.png

Indeed.

Let's all hope that Gweiloman etc. is left with a child to raise, and his neighbors aren't left with the next week's winning lottery numbers.

But almost every Thai does it, oh okay, that makes it a perfectly safe and sensible option to take then. rolleyes.gif

How high is Thailand on the global annual road death toll per capita again?

coffee1.gif

Amazing how many people move to Thailand and follow the saying monkey see, monkey do.

The Thais do it, so common sense and basic intelligence are put aside, and they then do it too.

Perhaps they just aren't very intelligent from the get go.

"I've got one for mine and he loves wearing it so I know that when he is of age to ride a bike himself, he will always don a helmet."

That's the best grab for some sort of logic I've seen in quite a while. biggrin.png congratulations. biggrin.png

no idea if its true or not but i read once that babies necks are unable to cope with the weight of a helmet and it may even make things worse

in the event if an accident ..ie a broken neck etc where one might have taken the bump and lived

**no idea if this is true in real life accidents ,never tested it ,only heard that somwhere **

Make sure you get one of those bolt on seats that fits in between you and the centre column, they fold up when not in use.

A hell of a lot safer than just letting your kid roam free on the point of your seat.

Yeh, i'm sure that that'll make a world of difference when the sooner or later collision/slide off or whatever scenario presents itself.....