Last call for Prepaid SIM card registration, NBTC warns 2 days ahead the deadline

webfact

Last call for Prepaid SIM card registration, NBTC warns 2 days ahead the deadline

BANGKOK, 30 July 015 (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has made final alert to holders of unregistered prepaid mobile phone SIM card to complete the compulsory registration by the end of July.

NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said if they fail to do so within the next two days, their numbers will no longer make normal calls and cannot be used with the internet after July 31st. Only emergency calls are allowed.

Over 66 million out of the 85 million prepaid numbers have been registered as required. The remaining 20 million unregistered prepaid mobile users can bring their SIM and ID card to either nearby 7-11 convenience shops, or service centers of their telephone networks or shop with the symbol “2 Chae”. The registration charges no fee.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-30 footer_n.gif

With some people really going out of their way to 'keep' their phone number it's interesting to notice that here in Thailand it's less of an issue. In the past buying a SIM would get you a promotion package for a few months to a whole year. Many Thai bought a SIM till the promotion run out and simply bought a new SIM with a new promotion.

Edited by rubl

I registered mine months ago. It will be interesting what happens next week as it is the first of the month and I receive/send lot of money via the internet relying on SMS notifications of arrivals and OTPs. If it's not been properly registered it will cause a real mess and not easily solved!