British Airways Revises Carry-on Baggage Policy

SantiSuk

BA announces it is revising its carry-on baggage policy in economy class. Hitherto they have been one of the more lenient airlines posting a policy that allows a 23kg allowance for the carry-on cabin bag plus a laptop bag/handbag of unspecified weight restriction.

As I read the revision notice, the weight restrictions do not change*. Without checking back to the original the specified dimension restrictions previously quoted for carry-on cabin bags and laptop/handbags do not change either. All that changes is to put customers on notice that they are going to police their requirements more thoroughly and there is the prospect that your carry-on cabin bag will be placed in the hold if overhead storage bins get full. You will also be required to place your laptop/handbag under the seat in front of you.

Actually the latter would be the biggest PITA for me if it is rigorously enforced - seriously hampers leg room. I will also have to ensure (as the notice advises) that valuable items and necessary meds are put in my laptop bag.

I'm guessing that people have been taking the pi$$ on some flights and they've been struggling to accommodate on-board stuff. I have had no problems on the Bangkok route (I've used them a lot in the last 2 years after their pricing became competitive, and I'm usually one of the last to board).

Let's keep this thread to baggage policies otherwise it will get diverted into yet another thread about whether BA is good or stinks. Yes Smokie, we know you travel biz, so you don't need to comment heretongue.png

Changes to hand baggage

In recent months we have seen an increase in customers travelling with hand baggage that exceeds their allowance. We always try to accommodate our customers where we can but to make sure the aircraft is ready to depart on time we are making the following changes:

• You can continue to carry 2 pieces of hand baggage. One bag should be a handbag/laptop sized bag which should now be no larger than 40x30x15cm.

• The size of your additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56x45x25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs.

• Customers travelling in all cabins, except First and Club World will receive a yellow tag for handbag/laptop sized bags which are within the new dimensions. We guarantee that you can take this bag on board with you. Please have the tag visible for boarding and place the bag under the seat in front of you.

• We encourage you to carry any valuables or items such as medication in your handbag/laptop sized bag to ensure you have everything you need in the cabin.

• Customers who travel with hand baggage which is outside of their allowance will be asked to check this into the hold.

• On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full.

These changes will be rolling out across our network in the coming weeks and we will keep you up to date as and when this happens.

*well maybe you are meat to keep both laptop bag and cabin bag within a joint weight of 23kg - that would still be quite liberal

Have now checked the laptop dimensions they quote. It's very small and clearly that is the major change.

More importantly for me it is smaller than the laptop bag I use and like.

Oh well - I'm not buying another laptop bag just for them - f 'em.

Spent over GBP 10 thou with them in the last 2 years on this route (family of 4 trips included).

GOODBYE BRITISH AIRWAYS

Sleazy Jet also have the policy of laptop bags under seats, I had a falling out with the flight attendant, people could put a mobile home on wheels into the overhead bin but my vulnerable laptop had to go under a seat where it was open to being trodden on not just by me but by a passenger wanting to go to the loo and squeezing past me.

I guess its airlines trying to pitch to the carry-on only market as opposed to those who pay extra for hold baggage and just wish for some security for their laptops.

"On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full."

And precisely how will this work in practice? After making an unsuccessful attempt to find space in the overhead lockers for your carry-on bag, will a cabin crew member really make you go all the way back to the check-in counter to enable you to check the offending bag into the hold instead? Seeing as this would presumably necessitate going back and forth again through Immigration and Security, the resultant delay to your flight wouldn't bear thinking about!

"On very busy flights we may have to ask some of our customers to check bags without yellow tags into the hold if the overhead lockers are full."

And precisely how will this work in practice? After making an unsuccessful attempt to find space in the overhead lockers for your carry-on bag, will a cabin crew member really make you go all the way back to the check-in counter to enable you to check the offending bag into the hold instead?

When cabin crew remove any oversize luggage before take-off the baggage people put it directly into the hold.

Sleazy Jet also have the policy of laptop bags under seats, I had a falling out with the flight attendant, people could put a mobile home on wheels into the overhead bin but my vulnerable laptop had to go under a seat where it was open to being trodden on not just by me but by a passenger wanting to go to the loo and squeezing past me.

I guess its airlines trying to pitch to the carry-on only market as opposed to those who pay extra for hold baggage and just wish for some security for their laptops.

If the laptop is under the seat how would it get trodden on, Are you seated next to a clown that has size 20 shoes on ?

Considering cattle class with BA is a weight limit of 20K for checked...having an extra 23kg is very generous. It always amuses and pisses me off when I see most taking as hand luggage the same as my checked. I cant understand how hand luggage can be so heavy...what do people have in their bags? Surely a laptop could be incorporated in the 23kg of hand luggage. As a side note, BA are doing returns to T5 for a staggering low of 28,000 Baht and at almost 55/Sterling that is a bargain!

If the laptop is under the seat how would it get trodden on, Are you seated next to a clown that has size 20 shoes on ?

I am assuming you have never tried to safely stow a laptop under the seat in front on a sardine can like a sleazy jet aircraft?

THe hold luggage is 23kg, the difference BA have made is to the size of the carry on luggage/bags only. They dont weigh your carry on case and you are allowed one extra bag/laptop you just need to check the size change.

I am assuming you have never tried to safely stow a laptop under the seat in front on a sardine can like a sleazy jet aircraft?

To be honest I have not. But then I would prolly not be flying with a company that calls themselves sleazy jet either as it reeks of dodgyness.

THe hold luggage is 23kg, the difference BA have made is to the size of the carry on luggage/bags only. They dont weigh your carry on case and you are allowed one extra bag/laptop you just need to check the size change.

To quote from the OP:

"The size of your additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56x45x25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs."

If BA are really serious about this, they need to tackle the weight issue IMHO. When I flew cattle class to and from Europe with Etihad several weeks ago, I was only permitted to take on board a single bag (including my laptop) which weighed no more than 7kg. I am sure that, were BA to introduce similar weight and bag limits, that would soon put a stop to overhead lockers being clogged up with kitchen sinks and should thus mean sufficient space in them for everyone's hand baggage (including laptops).

Edited by OJAS

To quote from the OP:

"The size of your additional cabin bag remains unchanged and should be no larger than 56x45x25cm and can weigh up to 23kgs."

If BA are really serious about this, they need to tackle the weight issue IMHO. When I flew cattle class to and from Europe with Etihad several weeks ago, I was only permitted to take on board a single bag (including my laptop) which weighed no more than 7kg. I am sure that, were BA to introduce similar weight and bag limits, that would soon put a stop to overhead lockers being clogged up with kitchen sinks and should thus mean sufficient space in them for everyone's hand baggage (including laptops).

I totally agree but on short haul that would stop them targeting the hand baggage only passengers. BA have a cheaper ticket for those travelling with hand baggage only.

To be honest I have not. But then I would prolly not be flying with a company that calls themselves sleazy jet either as it reeks of dodgyness.

Not being sarcastic but I guess you are not European. Sleazy jet is the nickname for one of Europe's largest Low Cost Carriers "Easy Jet". I too wouldn't normally fly with them but they were the only carrier flying to the destination I needed to go to on business.

This from a BBC article to bring some clarity :

British Airways is to cut the hand baggage allowance for customers on its flights, the airline has announced.

The maximum size of main carry-on bags will remain unchanged, but smaller second bags such as handbags will be capped at 40x30x15cm, the airline said.

It said there had been "an increase in customers travelling with hand baggage that exceeds their allowance" in recent months.

The change will come into force "in the coming weeks", the airline added.

Currently, passengers can board flights carrying one bag of up to 56x45x25cm, weighing up to 23kg, plus another bag up to 45x36x20cm.

A spokesman said the new guidelines - which apply to all customers - meant the latter changing "ever so slightly".

He said overloading of hand baggage caused delays as staff removed bags from the cabin.

Last month, a teenager from Scotland collapsed with heat exhaustion after wearing 12 layers of clothing to avoid paying a £45 extra baggage fee.

James McElvar vomited and was given oxygen during the Easyjet flight from Stansted to Glasgow.

Yermanee wai.gif