What UPS ?

malt25

Hi all. I trust this is the right place for this inquiry.

Can someone advise me of a suitable UPS to purchase ? I know absolutely nothing about them. Home use during power outages. Don't want to spend a fortune. What sort of money am I looking at ?

Also, is it likely the local telephone exchange might go down when there is a power outage ? Losing modem signal ?

Yes, as you can tell I know very little about such stuff.

Thanks in advance..... Mal.

APC are probably the best known brand but there are many cheap Thai and Chinese brands available.

You need to work out how many items you need to protect and how long you want to run on battery when the power goes down. A monitor, computer and your internet connection are what most people want to protect, printers are usually surge protected only. If you don't leave your computer running unattended then ten minutes is plenty of time to save your work and shut down your computer manually . There are three basic types of UPS. Off-line are cheapest, as low as 1000 baht for a no-name brand with a small capacity battery. Next up you have line interactive, 2,500 baht plus. The best are on-line UPS but they're more for people who really need it e.g. a business. They don't come cheap, 7,000++ baht .

A line interactive UPS is good for where you also have a less than stellar power supply e.g. most parts of Thailand. Basic size for most people would be 400-500VA. I have APC and Powercom at home, in use for years, replace the battery every three years, 600 baht. I have an older version of this Powercom model, about 3,500 baht from memory. Syndome is another brand name you see everywhere. If you want to save money then the shops selling used computers often sell used APC units for as low as 750 baht. My APC which I use just for my ADSL modem is 15 years old and still running well. When my power goes off my internet is usually still running off the old APC so I can still use internet on my laptop/tablet/phone.

Not sure what your needs are or what you are wanting to achieve...

But I bought this model:

http://www.lazada.co.th/bcn-ups-micro-eco-1000va-black-313440.html

My goal was

1. Surge protection

2. Voltage stabilization

3. Power supply internet/wifi when power goes out

I put this model in my entertainment console in front of my TV, Apple TV, Surround Sound DVD & True cable and internet wifi box

I live in the city (CM) but we get frequent power outages and power flickers (2-3 seconds)...

This protect from surges and keeps the internet modem & wifi from going out

I don't plan on using it for powering the TV in an outage - but it will - but I bet only for a few minutes...

I had one outage for 3 hours and the modem wifi stayed on the whole time (the were the only things drawing power)

Here is a link to all the models Lazada sells:

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-power-supply-units/

Think its the leonics cleanline range that has worked pretty well for me.

Would steer clear of 2nd hand unless got replacable batteries, the battery do have very limited lifespan and many end in the bin when that happens.

Amount of devices you power makes a huge difference