Teflon coated frying pans

krisb

I have purchased many teflon pans over the years and no matter how many times I tell the missus she always kills them within a week cleaning them with a scouring pad.

I have 2 pans left that I use for my sunday morning egg and bacon fry up..... these are kept under lock and key well away from the missus.

My be cheaper changing the missus instead of pans.

teflon coated cooking vessels don't like very high temperatures or quick temperature changes as these promote delamination of the teflon. goes for anything COATED with anything. therefore a good idea to keep your favourite egg or pancake frying pan away from your thai partner who is used to woks and charcoal bbq's.

never wash a teflon pan, just wipe it with paper after use. even a cheap bath 350 pan can give you 5000+ 'cooks'. and for your steak or pork ribs - use something else.

I think the Teflon bit is over rated. It becomes brittle after a while. I've noticed bits of Teflon Crap in my eggs. Hard to swallow that.

Never ever had a problem with Teflon pans, they on average last 2-3 years and I am okay with that...mind you I don't buy the cheap crappy ones either...as they say "You get what you pay for!"

For home use ceramic is indeed superior to Teflon...but in a professional kitchen nothing beats the good old cast iron panattachicon.gifimage.jpg

After owning a restaurant in the US, you would have to visit a lot of professional kitchens in the states to find a cast iron pan in use. They are antiques. Fun, but not user friendly in a restaurant kitchen. Use in them in the south to show that you like to make biscuits when guests are over. Put away when it is just you cooking for you.

You can buy the cast iron pans. At the True Value hardware in Pattaya they have most every size. I think its the Log Cabin brand.......If I remember. They are 100$ up.......Emporium as well had them.

Edited by NickJ

There are many Non-stick pans around, but they are crap, ...look for the real Teflon logo. Treat it with oil before you use it. The instructions will tell you that, .. and let it cool before you wash it. No need for scouring pads and use only plastic or woodem utensils, ... NO METAL! The real teflon, treated this way will last a long time, not shed it's coating and not stick!

For home use ceramic is indeed superior to Teflon...but in a professional kitchen nothing beats the good old cast iron panattachicon.gifimage.jpg

After owning a restaurant in the US, you would have to visit a lot of professional kitchens in the states to find a cast iron pan in use. They are antiques. Fun, but not user friendly in a restaurant kitchen. Use in them in the south to show that you like to make biscuits when guests are over. Put away when it is just you cooking for you.

I can imagine. In a restaurant kitchen an old fashioned heavy/thick cast iron pan may be too heavy for those using it.

One thing is making a meal a day for yourself, another thing is making a lot of meals every evening.

Btw, today you also have lightweight cast iron pans.

Much prefer the old thick heavy ones, the heat distribution is very very good, extremely easy to clean, they last 40-50-60 years no sweat.

Edited by melvinmelvin

Maybe you don't know how to treat a teflon pan. Many people immediately rinse with cold water while they are still hot. Very wrong. Or clean with steel wool. Wrong. Used properly they are easier to clean than a cheap traditional pan, a cast iron pan is something else, best for many recipes.

However buying a cheap one is not a good idea. I still have one I bought ten years ago, expensive but still usable.

Obviously used teflon pans should be dumped.

Very true!

If you want a perfectly good Teflon frying pan completely ruined in one day, give it to a Thai!

Every pan I own has been ruined, they overheat them, everything is on full blast, burn them dry, use metal spatulas, scrub them with Scotch Brite, same with every microwave, the only setting ever used is 100 % Full power, the insides of a Thai microwave looks like a bacterial disaster.

Have you ever met a Thai that actually reads the instructions?

I think the Teflon bit is over rated. It becomes brittle after a while. I've noticed bits of Teflon Crap in my eggs. Hard to swallow that.

if you buy a thin cheap pan made out of sheet medal with a thin coating of Teflon .... well you are kinda.... huh... well... stupid . heavy cast alum. is the nutts . but you will never know this as you are buying the 14 inch dia. skillet-wok for 198 bhat . cheap is as cheap does ...................

Time for a pop-quiz gentlemen!

If Teflon is supposed to be nonstick,

what keeps the Teflon coating stuck on the metallic pan?

The raw metal is sandblasted and the a primer is used. Teflon is then applied and is baked on.

Much like the paint on your car, without the correct surface preparation and primer the paint will not stick.

WRONG!

I don't have a car :)

but the first part of the answer is correct :)

I can imagine. In a restaurant kitchen an old fashioned heavy/thick cast iron pan may be too heavy for those using it.

One thing is making a meal a day for yourself, another thing is making a lot of meals every evening.

Much prefer the old thick heavy ones, the heat distribution is very very good, extremely easy to clean, they last 40-50-60 years no sweat.

Sure for the new generation of pussy chefs those pans are too heavy but for us old school kitchen warriors nothing beats them...

Sure for the new generation of pussy chefs those pans are too heavy but for us old school kitchen warriors nothing beats them...

Spot on for commercial use - but my own personal domestic favourites were always the properly tinned French copper pans.

Thick walled (>4mm), and a bugger to maintain, but incomparable heat distribution............and they look so sexy hanging on the kitchen walls when you ain't using them!

As I am 65 next year do I really need expensive cookware that will out live me. ! The excess luggage charge for cast iron is also a consideration.

I will answer your question.

I'm living in Thailand for over 2 decades, and in my current house I have 2 fully installed kitchens, yet the only use it has had is for boiling a pot of eggs every 2 weeks.

Oh, I forgot that a few years ago I bought a Teflon frying pan because the little one likes fried hamburgers with his french fries. It has been used once, because I quickly found out that frying a hamburger for a few minutes involves cleaning the cooking island for half an hour.

He however gets his fried hamburgers weekly and I get cooked meals every day, but in Thailand it is cheaper to eat out or buy prepared meals than it is to cook yourself.

I have some good cast iron cookware. Love it. I also have one or two decent Teflon coated sauce pans, which do not get up to the temps that cause "gassing off" from the Teflon, which I can manage with a skillet.

I also have some very nice stainless pieces, but they are not "non stick"!

I bought an expensive Tefal "non-stick" pan and it lost its non-stick character in just a few weeks. I would really like to buy a few heavy cast-iron pans, because after proper conditioning they will be non-stick forever and last a life-time.

But where to find them in Thailand?

I've been looking for cast iron pans in BKK for 2-3 years at least, cannot find them.

I brought mine from Europe.

Emporium has some stuff, produced in France I think, but they are coated.

I much prefer thick cast iron without any coating.

Maybe an "wholesaler" that supplies big restaurants and big hotels might have some.

Bought a large and smaller fry pan from http://raro.asia/. He shipped quickly and the pans are really great - heavy and hold a tempering well.

I see that in Chiang Mai Rimping Markets (at least at Promanda) are selling the fry pans and dutch ovens. Price comes out close to the same once you figure in the shipping.

If you buy them in Thailand the importers buy them with the least amount of Teflon coating on them to lower their cost. If you buy in western country they have a lot more coating on. I brought mine from New Zealand and they are great.