Changing work visa to marriage, or apply in neighbouring country?

Have a bit of a visa quandry - have been on a work permit for the last 15 years or so, the company is not a Thai company but had permission to operate here.

It now no longer operates in Thailand so my work permit and visa here are about to expire and cannot be renewed.

I have also been married to a Thai national for 11 years so thought I could change visa status from non-b to non-o (marriage basis). Should be simple right?

Wrong - my local immigration office is playing hardball with this and want a raft of "additional paperwork" beyond the standard requirements for this visa extension which I already have. I also get different answers from different officers every time I call up and ask.

So my question is this: where is the easiest neighbouring country to get a visa based on marriage? (have all the papers + the 400k for three months)

I figure I'll have to let the current non-b visa and work permit expire, leave the country, and come in on a new non-o, suffering the leaving every 90 days again until I can get it extended without the hassle.

You cannot a change from one class of non immigrant visa to another. Only a change of visa status can be done from a tourist visa.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from working to marriage.

It seems immigration is giving the runaround on doing the change to marriage. What extra paperwork are they asking for?

You can get a single entry non-o visa without any financial proof needed. Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang are the best places to apply for it.

• Like 1

This is my checklist for extension based on marriage.

Paperwork:

1. Two application forms T.M. 7 with two photographs size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht
2. Copy Marriage Certificate
3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office, marriage registry (not older than six months, even if marriage certificate is under 6 months old)
4. Child's birth certificate (if any)
5. Copy wife’s house registration (first page showing address and the page showing her details)
6. Copy wife’s identity card
7. Copy passport (all pages with stamps), non-Im visa, arrival card.
8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife
9. Map to residency (names of roads and house marked in Thai and GPS coordinates)
10. 3 Pictures, one showing you outside the house with wife and house number visible, One in bedroom, One showing time relaxing.
11. Copy house book from residence (signed by owner and a signed copy of their ID Card, as this may not be the wife in some cases) or rental contract.
12: Copy of the letter from the MFA showing you were able to marry

With money in bank option.
1. Letters from your bank same day or day before stating bank records, and a transaction list for the past two months.
2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.
3. Letter from bank must show transaction during previous two months.

With Income in Thailand option
1. A copy of work permit (All stamped pages)
2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt (PND.91) with receipt showing it has been paid
3: Copy of Company documents stamped and signed, Documents must be under 6 months old.
4: Letter of employment, stating location of employment, role and renumeration.

With Income from abroad.
1. Embassy letter stating your income.

All of the above in two copies, if not in BKK

Thanks for the replies, the first one is confusing; the extension is exactly the thing I cant get as stated in the OP.

ubonjoe; ok that clarifies things, leaving the country is the only option. If I go to Savannakhet does the wife have to go with me? And what is the list of requirements?

Poorsucker; thanks for that - I have all in that list apart from 12. We got married 11 years ago so the MFA will not issue a freedom to marry paper if we're already married.

Local immigration are asking for things from the labour dept such as a Tor Tor 10 ... whatever that is.

Edited by procyon

Your wife does not have to go with you apply for the non-o visa. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies your wife's house book registry and ID card.

The freedom to marry would be the one you did when you registered your marriage. Only a few offices ask for it when you do the first extension.

I would guess they are wanting proof your work permit was canceled. The would also want a termination letter to cancel you current extension.