Thai Army Chief says elections could be delayed

webfact

Army Chief Says Elections Could Be Delayed
By Khaosod English

14386791031438679473l.jpg
Suthep Thaugsuban raises his fist during an anti-government rally in Bangkok in a January 2014 file photo.

BANGKOK — Thailand’s army chief said today its plan for new elections may be postponed if unspecified events take place.

Repeating assertions the military would adhere to its “road map” for a return to civilian rule, Gen. Udomdet Sitabutr today indicated exceptions were possible under certain circumstances.

“But some parts of the road map may be extended in their time frame, because some events may take place,” Udomdet, who also serves as secretary-general to the ruling junta, said at an army academy in Bangkok today. “However, everyone is trying their best, and we will proceed [with the road map] in the best manner.”

Udomdet was responding to conservative activist Suthep Thaugsuban’s recent proposal the junta should indefinitely postpone new elections until the process of national reforms is completed first.

“That opinion is a personal one. We have our own procedures for accepting or rejecting those opinions,” he said of Suthep’s proposition. “The prime minister has always insisted that everything has to be in accordance with the road map.”

However, Udomdet added that if certain events were to transpire, the military might remain in power longer. He did not specify what those events might be.

Under the current road map announced by junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who seized power from an elected government in May 2014, a referendum on the new constitution will take place in January 2016, and a new election will be held in September 2016, so long as the public approves the charter drafted by junta appointees.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1438679103

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-04

2 posts removed

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

/Admin

I predict Aung San Suu Kyii will be President of Myanmar before there are elections in Thailand.wink.png

Pity the super woman is not here to rid all this brainwashed opposition on TVF from slagging every day. Of course she would walk through an election here not get in with 35% and have to pay (it has been said ) for suitable party's to form a coalition so they could reap the country of vast resources.

She would chair a rice committee and would stay in the country most of the time, and would speak honestly to the people. Just sayingthumbsup.gif

I predict Aung San Suu Kyii will be President of Myanmar before there are elections in Thailand.wink.png

Pity the super woman is not here to rid all this brainwashed opposition on TVF from slagging every day. Of course she would walk through an election here not get in with 35% and have to pay (it has been said ) for suitable party's to form a coalition so they could reap the country of vast resources.

She would chair a rice committee and would stay in the country most of the time, and would speak honestly to the people. Just sayingthumbsup.gif

Actually, I've lost a lot of respect for her since the whole Rohingya thing blew up. I expected her to come out fighting for them, urging the government to recognise them as citizens and encouraging the masses to live peacefully with them. The silence from her has been somewhat deafening.

I really am disappointed with her; I've admired her for years and can't believe that she is just ignoring the issue and pretending it's not there.

Actually, I've lost a lot of respect for her since the whole Rohingya thing blew up. I expected her to come out fighting for them, urging the government to recognise them as citizens and encouraging the masses to live peacefully with them. The silence from her has been somewhat deafening.

I really am disappointed with her; I've admired her for years and can't believe that she is just ignoring the issue and pretending it's not there.

She hasn't been afraid before, so I don't think she will be on that issue---we only get news as and when available--I am convinced she will be talking to the international community at a high level anyway on the subject.

Hmm, that's no good

.jpg

Agreed, though it shouldn't really be a surprise either. One mechanism for ensuring the elections are delayed is to make sure the charter will be unacceptable and rejected.

The wonder of it all is these folk really seem to think that foreign governments don't know almost to the letter what they're saying, yet come the day, it'll be 'foreigners don't understand Thailand'. Denial, pure and simple.

The real problem is that foreigners *do* understand Thailand and are generally not impressed.

One lesson to be taught in school Education curriculum on Democracy (if ever introduced) is that the military does not announce when or where an election will be held, matter of fact the military are never heard of except on National day celebrations. coffee1.gif

'Army Chief says...........'.

Can anybody tell me who is in charge of the government?

I think everyone is reading the "road-map" differently? Upside down, sideways, backwards - and no one really knows where they are on the "map", and everyone seems to want to provide "directions".

It does look very silly, but maybe it makes sense to someone?

Maybe it's time for the Police Chief to chime in with his thoughts?

She hasn't been afraid before, so I don't think she will be on that issue---we only get news as and when available--I am convinced she will be talking to the international community at a high level anyway on the subject.

I *think* (could be wrong, but I'm certain I saw it) that a journalist from Al Jazeera or maybe BBC did ask her not long after the riots about a year ago and she pretended that she didn't hear the question, just ignored it. I could be making this up, but I'm really certain that I saw it.

She's certainly had the opportunity to speak out, several opportunities, but she hasn't. I really am disappointed with her.

I *think* (could be wrong, but I'm certain I saw it) that a journalist from Al Jazeera or maybe BBC did ask her not long after the riots about a year ago and she pretended that she didn't hear the question, just ignored it. I could be making this up, but I'm really certain that I saw it.

She's certainly had the opportunity to speak out, several opportunities, but she hasn't. I really am disappointed with her.

An election after October 2015, which is true, it will be, how long after, well who knows, when the time is right, whenever that might be. Its not worth getting excited about when the elections will take place, we all know its a while off, but whilst there is no violence and some corruption is disappearing, then things are moving slowly in the right direction. Remember this is not a democracy like we have been used to in the west, this is not the west and they have to eventually come out with something that works for Thailand, not the UK or USA or wherever.

Funny how it's always delays and never bringing forward.

When the junta first took office elections were promised this year but if there are free and fair elections anytime before 2018 I for one will be genuinely surprised.

An election after October 2015, which is true, it will be, how long after, well who knows, when the time is right, whenever that might be. Its not worth getting excited about when the elections will take place, we all know its a while off, but whilst there is no violence and some corruption is disappearing, then things are moving slowly in the right direction. Remember this is not a democracy like we have been used to in the west, this is not the west and they have to eventually come out with something that works for Thailand, not the UK or USA or wherever.

18 or so coups before the first game changing coup have not helped either, how is this one any different?

"However, Udomdet added that if certain events were to transpire, the military might remain in power longer. He did not specify what those events might be."

He may as well just say that the military is staying in power until it's ready to leave. Is there any other way to read the above statement?

Armies - all armies, all over the world, throughout history - grab power when civilians mess up.

Armies promise to clean up the mess, often they honestly believe that themselves.

Armies then proceed to clean up the country a tiny little bit.

Next they mess up even more then the civilians did before.

Finally armies return power to the civilians, who then have to clean up the army's mess.

Just before returning power to the civilian cleaners, the armies give themselves amnesty, anchored in the constitution.

If you know any exceptions to this sad story, please inform me.

They will obviously delay election and people will protest to get election. Then they will send their attack dog Suthep and say: "you see! There is too much trouble and political divide to hold election!". And delay election even more.... The perfect trap!