Insurance for your child

KevWaters

We went with ACS via aainsure, and just added our son to the policy - cost an extra 300 USD. All three of us with decent OP cover, repatriation etc for 2000 USD a year.

The coverage was much better than local policies we looked at, and the price was similar.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

In the worst case scenario if I need to get him to a hospital asap I would like the option to take him somewhere private rather than a government hospital which could be a distance away and may have longer waiting times. My work pays my insurance so it's just for him. Maybe I'll speak with them about paying extra to add him onto the policy.

In the worst case scenario if I need to get him to a hospital asap I would like the option to take him somewhere private rather than a government hospital which could be a distance away and may have longer waiting times. My work pays my insurance so it's just for him. Maybe I'll speak with them about paying extra to add him onto the policy.

If he needs immediate attention, he will get it in a government hospital.

If it's a minor problem, he will have to wait.

Same as almost anywhere in the western world.

(OK, so the USA is different)

What happens in the USA they slam the door in your face.

• 3 weeks later...

You should ask your work if they cover your child also.

I was pleasantly surprised last week when i gave them my new born daughters birth certificate for tax purposes and they gave me her private medical card with the same cover as mine.

They use BUPA who will provide cover if I pay an additional amount towards the premium.The agent who is the connection with BUPA to our school hasn't emailed me details of the insurance for my wife and son, despite me chasing it up so it's all up in the air at the moment. she must not care for the commission too much.

What happens in the USA they slam the door in your face.

And what happens in Thailand, if its a serious problem or surgery is involved, is you sign a form at Government Hospital stating that you cannot sue them, That happens for a reason which is why they should be your last remaining option.

I've been quoted 33k premium for my son and 13k for my Mrs. Each policy provides 4k per day for room fee at private hospital etc.

I thought I might get it cheaper because I'm with BUPA myself through work, but it seems there isn't really a benefit for that. Maybe there's a family policy but it seems my work would rather just set me up and then gave me pay separately for them both for ease.

Might go with that policy for my son. Haven't seen cheaper stand alone policy with that level of cover anyway.