South Africans imprisoned in Thailand want to come home

webfact

South Africans imprisoned in Thailand want to come home
South Africans incarcerated in Thailand pleaded with government to consider a prisoner transfer agreement.
Mandy Wiener

JOHANNESBURG – South Africans incarcerated in Thailand are pleading with the government to consider a prisoner transfer agreement that would allow them to serve out the remainder of their prison sentences at home.

The Thai government has extended an invitation to all foreign embassies who have citizens incarcerated in Thailand to enter into an agreement that would enable citizens to be repatriated.

To date 37 countries have accepted this invitation.

Eleven South Africans, mostly drug mules, have hand written notes from Thai prison cells begging for a second chance to return home to jails close to their loved ones.

Businessman Henk Vanstaen, who is assisting the prisoners, has sent their pleas in an open letter to South Africa’s Members of Parliament.

He says this humanitarian gesture would allow prisoner’s families access to them.

“They are isolated in Thailand and their families can’t afford to go see them.”

Full story: http://ewn.co.za/2015/08/04/SAs-imprisoned-in-Thailand-want-to-come-home

-- EWN 2015-08-05

^^ Whilst these comments may be true, they are entirely irrelevant to this news story. The Thai government is offering foreign embassies the option of repatriating their own citizens who have broken the Law in Thailand. When they get back to South Africa, it is not implied they will walk free.

I believe the rule is that once a convicted foreigner has served half their sentence in Thailand, they are eligible to be released to their home country to serve the remainder of their sentence. There are only a handful of countries with prisons worse than the prisons in Thailand. It benefits Thailand to remove the foreign prisoners as Thailand's prisons are overcrowded. Apparently, according to the source article, South Africa hasn't accepted the prisoner exchange agreement, therefore, their chance of repatriation is quite remote. If your own government doesn't want you, maybe you deserve to rot in hell.

Gee maybe they should have thought about consequences before doing criminal activity here in Thailand. Like the old saying goes. If you do the crime be willing to do the time.

The Thai 'police' (the term is used loosely) would never fit somebody up.

coffee1.gif

Some posters, you really do have to wonder....

^^ Whilst these comments may be true, they are entirely irrelevant to this news story. The Thai government is offering foreign embassies the option of repatriating their own citizens who have broken the Law in Thailand. When they get back to South Africa, it is not implied they will walk free.

But they most probably will..........

Seems more like its Thai prisoners that want to come. Its Thailand making the offer to foreign embassies. South Africa is just one of 37 countries that have accepted. Don't know why they single out South Africa here.

I believe the rule is that once a convicted foreigner has served half their sentence in Thailand, they are eligible to be released to their home country to serve the remainder of their sentence. There are only a handful of countries with prisons worse than the prisons in Thailand. It benefits Thailand to remove the foreign prisoners as Thailand's prisons are overcrowded. Apparently, according to the source article, South Africa hasn't accepted the prisoner exchange agreement, therefore, their chance of repatriation is quite remote. If your own government doesn't want you, maybe you deserve to rot in hell.

If it is a prisoner exchange, won't as many Thais come into Thailand as foriegners go out of Thailand? not sure I see how this will help overcrowding

Well why not let them go all to their home countries?!?!?!??!

I would sent all foreigners staying in prison back to where they come from: why should the Thai people pay for them to stay in prison in their country??????

Not irrelevant at all. Of course we are aware they will continue to serve prison time, but this will be in much improved conditions in their home countries. As has already been pointed out, those committing crimes here should have been aware of the disparity in any sentencing. Som nom bloody na!

Edited by dageurreotype

I would love to spend 50yrs in a U.K holiday home...erm I mean jail rather than 50mins in a Thai jail.

Keep em here I say, as soon as they know they might get sent home makes the crime a bit more worth it.

Humanitarians should know when to step in, and in this case keep out of it.

Rotten drugrats.

Well why not let them go all to their home countries?!?!?!??!

I would sent all foreigners staying in prison back to where they come from: why should the Thai people pay for them to stay in prison in their country??????

Absolutely. The UK would love to get rid of it's foreign prisoners. Unfortunately life in a UK prison is Hi So compared to life outside prison in their own countries so they don't want to go.

Seems more like its Thai prisoners that want to come. Its Thailand making the offer to foreign embassies. South Africa is just one of 37 countries that have accepted. Don't know why they single out South Africa here.

"The Thai government has extended an invitation to all foreign embassies who have citizens incarcerated in Thailand to enter into an agreement that would enable citizens to be repatriated.

To date 37 countries have accepted this invitation."

This seems to indicate (IMO) that the South African government has NOT accepted this invitation, hence this article. It is a shame that the South African government has to be reminded to look out for their people.

Criminals still need to be punished, and there is no mention that their sentences will be reduced or cancelled.

And back to a country that is more corrupt than Thailand, they are all drug scum, let them rot where they are, I guess in the UK prisons no foreigners are asking for a transfer back to there own countries, what a shame

Thai prisons have a reputation as being unusually cruel to foreigners, being made to wash and drink from a bucket of river water from the chayo praya is inhumane, I don't care where they came from...

Of course, if they had some money for police they would never even be in a Thai jail or they will be living a lot better if they can buy privileges like clean water or food from the sadistic guards etc

I hope some people here shouting "let them rot" never end up on the wrong side of the Thai justice system

There's a lot of Thais I'd like to put in their places but most would be considered "important" people like rtp still out on bail for murders committed years ago etc