Is this cable TV or Fiber Optic?

Anthony5

Fiber isn't always installed all the way to the Customer Premises Equipment.

For whatever reason the ISP may chose to do Media Conversion (to Ethernet, Twisted Pair/xDSL, RF Cable, etc) prior to making the final connection. Especially where Fiber is used strictly as the backbone and other medium are already in place to carry the service (or services) to the final point.

The word 'cable' doesn't always mean Coaxial RF Cable (Cable TV) line.

But if they were also delivering Cable TV 'service' they might convert Fiber to Coaxial Cable to simplify splitting and connectivity.

Wikipedia Fiber to the x

Definitions

Deployments

Optical distribution networks

In both the condo and the shop cable is coaxial and internet is fibre. There is no mixing of signal. Fibre is not mixed into coaxial anywhere I have been. The only place the physical conversion is at the home router. I have never seen fibre conversion done outside a customers house. Just doesnt happen like that. If so, it would defeat the purpose of fibre optics.

Wouldnt the speed of fibre optics stop at the first termination/ conversion? Anyways the termination in my experience which includes US military installations is always done inside the building never, outside and never mixed with anything else or with any other hardware/cables. Of course undersea cables are different but we are talking a typical home installation.

Wouldnt the speed of fibre optics stop at the first termination/ conversion? Anyways the termination in my experience which includes US military installations is always done inside the building never, outside and never mixed with anything else or with any other hardware/cables. Of course undersea cables are different but we are talking a typical home installation.

No it wouldn't. Fiber optic is used because it can carry the signal over longer distances without losing speed. The 30 meter or whatever it travels over coaxial at the destination doesn't make any real difference.

In your book the conversion would happen at the router anyway, so what makes the difference if it is 30 meter instead of 15 meter?

The speed of fiber optics? stop at the first termination / conversion?

And if always done inside the building, never outside, what then is FTTN and FTTC? Or Hybrid Fibre-coaxial

Why have some members here ordered fiber optic, only to have vdsl delivered and called fiber optic?

I can't tell if you're being serious here.

And if always done inside the building, never outside, what then is FTTN and FTTC? Or Hybrid Fibre-coaxial

Why have some members here ordered fiber optic, only to have vdsl delivered and called fiber optic?

Im being very serious. I have never seen fibre terminated other than inside the customers area. Im not an expert like you however, i've been involved in and seen my share of fibre being installed in a few buildings.

unlike my fibre connection in Thailand i was told by friends in France, Germany and the Netherlands that their connections are hybrid, meaning the last 20-50m is handled by an ordinary "phone" copper cable.

but then what does it matter with nominal speeds in Europe up to 95 megabits which websites can't match?

This is not "thin a as pencil", nonsense.

Some people can not distinguish between a single fibre and a fibre optic cable.

Fiber optic sea cables are thicker than an arm.

This is a drum from which the thick cables are installed.

About a 170 cm in diameter, weighing more than a tonne.

Compare to the height of the wall around the school:

attachicon.gif131121070432.jpg

attachicon.gif131121070328.jpg

This is drum from which "my" cable was installed.

Maybe about 60 cm in diameter, compare to the road marker line.

attachicon.gif140317175558.jpg

I see there are some of you who have used fibre before. Fibre cable is extremely fragile also, one kink and its worthless. The cable that comes into your house looks a little like a plastic coffee stir stick, seriously. Of course the cables that run under the ocean wont be the same....use some common sense, thats not what this thread is about. Here read: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fiber-to-the-home.htm

I was told today that the cable that goes into the house is Coaxial. It's only fiber to the pole in front of the house.

my fiber connection "cable", running 800m from the road to my desk, has a diameter of 3mm and an inside single optical strand of 0.15mm (not a typo!) i measured when they fused two parts before insulating the "nekkid" strand). the line runs in a storm drain where phone, cable and electricity lines run.

What you say is correct Naam. That 0.15mm is only the outer mechanical protection sheath of the fibre, the actual single mode fibre strand is 0.009mm, 9 microns (not a typo). This will happily carry 100 Gbps over many kilometers with the right equipment at each end.

What you say is correct Naam. That 0.15mm is only the outer mechanical protection sheath of the fibre, the actual single mode fibre strand is 0.009mm, 9 microns (not a typo). This will happily carry 100 Gbps over many kilometers with the right equipment at each end.

thanks for the lesson wai2.gif i had not the slightest idea that we are dealing with these dimensions.