Tiger Balm ?

Jessi

I have been using Tiger Balm for over 40 years, because its good for the aches & pains.

Over the years there is new technology & products.

I would be interested in members advice if there are any new products or better products

out there than Tiger Balm?

Plenty of joint pain in this old body.angry.png

I cant take anti inflammatory meds because of blood thinners I'm on.

Many thanks for your help. wai.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have found ibuprofen gives relief to my back pain (after spinal operation) and sciatica. It does not act as a blood thinner so will not affect you in that manner. It also has minimal effect on the liver.

Anything is better that doesn't annoy people around you with it's stink. Spent one flight where eventually the fight staff had to to stop one guy rubbing into his temples every 5 minutes. The worsrt was trying to carry on doing when the meal was served, thats when he was told to stop.

...be warned that many of those pain balms can provoke a heart attack...

...get to the origin of the pain.....

...change your diet....

...some medication, unto itself, causes pain and other more serious ailments....

...do some research.....find alternatives.....natural ones....

Try taking magnesium tablets....they work for many people. A deficiency promotes inflammation, and many people have a deficiency. Just Google it and you'll see how popular it is now.

Best to get tablets which have magnesium in a few different forms.

you might not want to believe this but a study was done in the UK testing both medication that provided heat eg deep heat and medication that cooled the affected area eg freezegel and it was found that they were no better than a cold pack or a heat pack

I have found ibuprofen gives relief to my back pain (after spinal operation) and sciatica. It does not act as a blood thinner so will not affect you in that manner. It also has minimal effect on the liver.

I think you will find that ibuprofen contains aspirin that acts as a blood thinner

My Thai wife had long been using CounterPain, found at all Thai pharmacy shops...

Then she tried some of the Ultra Strength Bengay cream I had brought from the U.S., and now won't even look at CounterPain anymore.

And, if you compare the ingredients between the two, Ultra Bengay is much stronger: 30% methyl salicylate, 10% menthol and 4% camphor.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, can't find it direct here in Thailand. Have to have it shipped from abroad.

She uses the Bengay plus refillable hot water pads (a rubber like material with a screw in top) that most pharmacies seem to stock and are very inexpensive.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I kept getting a rash on my feet and lower legs and I was blaming the gym staff for not cleaning the showers properly , Turned out it was the balm they were using when I was going for foot massage. Lucky I did not opt for the happy ending. Anyway that's my experience with the balm not sure if it was the tiger brand ? Could have been some cheap stuff from up country shipped down to the big smoke. Beware of the Balm.

I have spondylosis and a mild scoriosis and chronic lower back pain. My solutions include aerobic weight exercises and heat and magnesium. It seems that the harder and faster that I exercise, the better that I feel and the less pain that I have. When I do have pain, I use intense heat to relax the muscles. By the way, I am 72 years old. I have had pain in my back since I was a young man.

I ran track in high school in USA as well as when I was in the service. After many years started getting pain in Knee that Ibuprofen would not relieve. I stsrted taking Glucosamine and Chondrioton (1500--1200 MG can get with MSN or Hyaloric acid ) and beteen 6--8 weeks pain was gone. 2 years after stopping pain came back again so started taking again. Cleared up after 6 weeks and has never come back again. You need to take every day for 6--8 weeks but afterwards can take say 2--3 times a week for maintenance.

Might also try Omega 3 capsuls ,fish oil say 1,000 MG a day . I have no arthritis pain or joint pain anywhere and I am almost 68.

Tony125:

Where in Thailand do you get Glucosomine/Chondrioton? I have used Osteo Bi-Flex for years, and you are correct; very helpful for knee and joint pain. Unfortunately, does nothing for my back pain caused by damaged vertebrae. But I have had a very hard time finding an equivalent in Thailand. The drug stores carry glucosomine powder, but not the combination. I have been ordering it on Ebay at very high costs. If you can direct me to a local source, I would be very grateful.

I kept getting a rash on my feet and lower legs and I was blaming the gym staff for not cleaning the showers properly , Turned out it was the balm they were using when I was going for foot massage. Lucky I did not opt for the happy ending. Anyway that's my experience with the balm not sure if it was the tiger brand ? Could have been some cheap stuff from up country shipped down to the big smoke. Beware of the Balm.

Maybe you should try a Tiger Balm happy ending.....!

DMSO? It's not a cure, but sure helps take away inflammation quickly (within 30 seconds or so). I'm not sure of the connection between blood thinners and anti-inflammatories though. Sounds odd, but then I'm not a medical practitioner.

Normally a 24 crate of Singha sorts my aches and pains out.

Also manages to put the wife on mute too.

Judging from taste and headache it is most probably less healthy than injecting heroin.....

If want to get drunk:

(Carlsberg if it must be beer)

imported whiskey

imported vodka

My Thai wife had long been using CounterPain, found at all Thai pharmacy shops...

Then she tried some of the Ultra Strength Bengay cream I had brought from the U.S., and now won't even look at CounterPain anymore.

And, if you compare the ingredients between the two, Ultra Bengay is much stronger: 30% methyl salicylate, 10% menthol and 4% camphor.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, can't find it direct here in Thailand. Have to have it shipped from abroad.

She uses the Bengay plus refillable hot water pads (a rubber like material with a screw in top) that most pharmacies seem to stock and are very inexpensive.

w00t.gif does that burn away the skin as well?

I have spondylosis and a mild scoriosis and chronic lower back pain. My solutions include aerobic weight exercises and heat and magnesium. It seems that the harder and faster that I exercise, the better that I feel and the less pain that I have. When I do have pain, I use intense heat to relax the muscles. By the way, I am 72 years old. I have had pain in my back since I was a young man.

I have the same with the knees. If I take care of them, they hurt!

As harder I train with heavy squats are less they hurt....now I am complete without pain (on the knees), if only would have told me that earlier.

Turned out it was the balm they were using when I was going for foot massage. Lucky I did not opt for the happy ending.--monkeyrobot

A happy ending after a foot massage------after all the years I have lived here---that's a certainly a new one on me......coffee1.gif

Vicks Vaporub. The weapon of choice of grannies in the UK for the last 100 years. It's basically Tiger Balm without the bullshit Chinese herbal ingredients.

I think you will find that ibuprofen contains aspirin that acts as a blood thinner

Maybe you're thinking of Nurofen, a medication that contains Ibuprofen as the main ingredient but some varieties contain aspirin or paracetamol in addition.

Tony125:

Where in Thailand do you get Glucosomine/Chondrioton? I have used Osteo Bi-Flex for years, and you are correct; very helpful for knee and joint pain. Unfortunately, does nothing for my back pain caused by damaged vertebrae. But I have had a very hard time finding an equivalent in Thailand. The drug stores carry glucosomine powder, but not the combination. I have been ordering it on Ebay at very high costs. If you can direct me to a local source, I would be very grateful.

I order Osteo Bi-flex from Drugstore.com on-line and have it sent to our mailforwarding service in the U.S, along with some other products. I do this 3-4 times a year and order other stuff, like underwear, socks, etc that is difficult to find here in our sizes. The mailforwarding service consolidates and repacks everything and ships it all via U.S. Postal Service. That's the important part -- U.S. Postal Service, not DHL/UPS/FedEx. Comes thru just fine. Never had a problem in getting Drugstore.com stuff in via U.S.P.S. and rarely pay duty.

You're right, the locally available glucosamine powder and even what was suppose to be made-in-the U.S. combo capsules just weren't the same as Osteo Bi-flex. I've run out of the stuff from Drugstore.com a few times for 2-4 weeks and tried to get by with the local products and I really start to feel it after a while. One time, I found myself taking tuk-tuks to go just 200 meters to the store because my ankle was bothering me so bad.

Edited by NancyL

Long term use causes damage to the kidneys