Nitpicking?

Every time I've ever seen a dispute at Hua Hin immigration its always Ben with the same officer.

This time I lost the draw.

After moving from Khon Kaen I went to get the annual visa extension based on marriage.

He said all the paperwork was in order.

Good, I thought.

Then he pointed at the photos. The address was nicely painted, clearly legible on a sign outside the residence. No good he said. You need to have a wooden sign made with store bought stickers.

I said my last application had a very similar is sign in Khon Kaen and no problems.

Ya Bing, whatever that is, and showed me a photo of a couple with a tiny little sign that was barely visible with store printed numbers affixed.

Plus, he said, the indoor shot had a bit of the photographers thumb visible in the shot,...I hadn't even noticed it.

I always assumed these shots were to show proof that you were resident together. I didn't realise that they had to be studio quality and I never read any specific details of how the address had to be shown.

Anyway, a day wasted for my wife and I as well as our Thai witness.

The strange part is that a week ago I had to get a letter certifying residence from the same immigration office certifying residence for a drivers license....no problem.

So, being ticked off at this inanity I changed tack. With my pension income and money I'd just deposited I had enough to get a retirement extension.

He told me I had to have the money in the bank for 2 months. I could be wrong but I thought I read on TV that this does not apply with the combination method.

So was he in the right or just being a jerk? I realise that arguing with him would have been a complete waste of time. But if he's just being continually obstructive and unpleasant is there any point complaining to senior officials.

I've seen this guy stand up and scream at visa applicants and any sign of a discussion of his "rulings" seems to get his back up.I've spoken to other foreigners and they identified him without prompting so it seems to be habitual behaviour.

Edited by Psychic
  • Like 1

I don't mean to start a Thailand Elite thread but the application is about two pages and requires no documentation or proof of income. You submit one photo. Pay 500k baht and you get a 5 year visa. My only point is that it proves every requirement of these various offices is perfectly arbitrary, capricious , and based on no actual legal requirements whatsoever.

I mean like you need to have a picture of your house sign. It is wrong and your whole extension is held up because the picture had half a thumb in it? What kind of rubbish is this? Your income letter is unacceptable because it is addressed to Khon Kaen Immigration instead of "his honour the director of Khon Kaen Immigration Khun Somchai Pakalolo" Meanwhile any Farang who lays down 500k baht gets a 5 year visa for spending some dosh, which may just be a tiny squirt of his criminal cash flow.

The unfairness defies belief.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

He told me I had to have the money in the bank for 2 months. I could be wrong but I thought I read on TV that this does not apply with the combination method.

Hua Hin Immigrations is one of the few offices that require seasoning of the savings when qualifying by using a combination of income + savings.

So was he in the right or just being a jerk?

Do we have to choose? whistling.gif

I guess I just can't get my head around the fact that it is Thailand Immigration yet every office seems to be able to arbitrarily choose to make their own rules.

Is there no such thing as a central authority that legislates the regulations? And if it exists why are they not universally applied?

It's well known that the only thing that is consistent in Thailand is the lack of consistency....just deal with it...or move on

• Like 1

I don't wish to have this turn into another Thailand bashing thread.

This is my home and all I really want to do is lead a quiet peaceful life here. I generally enjoy it immensely.

But incidents like today bother me. More importantly they bother my wife since she is aware that if I don't get my extension I'm forced to leave the country.

And we have to go through this nonsense every year.

It should be simple. We live life as a married couple in our mutual home. I understand the government's right,even obligation, to ensure that we are being truthful.

What I don't understand is why we have to deal with the type of person and attitude we encountered today.

My original question was whether the officer was simply enforcing the law or if this was just some small minded individual's way of making himself feel like a big man.

If, regarding the combination income rules, he was just following the branch's procedure I can hardly fault him. Although having different offices make up their own rules seems bizarre.

I have even tried to justify his decision on the photos by telling my wife that since the application has to go to Bangkok for approval, maybe he was trying to ensure that everything was completely in order.

Except that his attitude and demeanour when I told him my previous application from Khon Kaen was accepted tended to leave me with the impression that he was just being maliciously spiteful, petty and vindictive.

So I sought advice as to whether he was justified and, if not, was there avenues to report his behaviour and would this be prudent.

All I really know is that if no one says anything he will never change.

Perhaps an examination of your own attitude toward the immigration officers would pay dividends ?

I have lived in Thailand for a long time and have never experienced a problem such as you describe,

Complaints can be lodged via the 1111 number.

Edited by nowretired

I don't mean to start a Thailand Elite thread but the application is about two pages and requires no documentation or proof of income. You submit one photo. Pay 500k baht and you get a 5 year visa. My only point is that it proves every requirement of these various offices is perfectly arbitrary, capricious , and based on no actual legal requirements whatsoever.

I mean like you need to have a picture of your house sign. It is wrong and your whole extension is held up because the picture had half a thumb in it? What kind of rubbish is this? Your income letter is unacceptable because it is addressed to Khon Kaen Immigration instead of "his honour the director of Khon Kaen Immigration Khun Somchai Pakalolo" Meanwhile any Farang who lays down 500k baht gets a 5 year visa for spending some dosh, which may just be a tiny squirt of his criminal cash flow.

Honestly when has Thailand ever been fair to foreigners?

Every country in the world accepts Thais with no VISA run requirements or limitations

However, when a foreigner moves to Thailand, double standards

It will never be fair, it's Thailand

• Like 1

This is my home and all I really want to do is lead a quiet peaceful life here. I generally enjoy it immensely.

But incidents like today bother me. More importantly they bother my wife since she is aware that if I don't get my extension I'm forced to leave the country.

It should be simple. We live life as a married couple in our mutual home. I understand the government's right,even obligation, to ensure that we are being truthful.

What I don't understand is why we have to deal with the type of person and attitude we encountered today.

My original question was whether the officer was simply enforcing the law or if this was just some small minded individual's way of making himself feel like a big man.

If, regarding the combination income rules, he was just following the branch's procedure I can hardly fault him. Although having different offices make up their own rules seems bizarre.

I have even tried to justify his decision on the photos by telling my wife that since the application has to go to Bangkok for approval, maybe he was trying to ensure that everything was completely in order.

Except that his attitude and demeanour when I told him my previous application from Khon Kaen was accepted tended to leave me with the impression that he was just being maliciously spiteful, petty and vindictive.

So I sought advice as to whether he was justified and, if not, was there avenues to report his behaviour and would this be prudent.

Thailand will never change. It has been this way for years and years.

Foreigner's money is welcome, when in fact foreigners are not welcome or else they would let you buy land and forgo the VISA run requirements.

It is part of the their third world mentality.

Rural uneducated Thai's are great to foreigners in my experience, but find any Thai in govt, police, etc. I think there is really a hidden hatred of foreigners marrying their women and being in Thailand in general.

Every office is different whether it is immigration, police, public utilities, the airport, etc. they all want to make their own rules.

This is the way it is and you have to accept it if you want to live there.

• Like 2

Every country in the world accepts Thais with no VISA run requirements or limitations

Name the Western countries that a Thai person can walk into on a "visa exempt" entry which can be further extended by 30 days

Perhaps an examination of your own attitude toward the immigration officers would pay dividends ?

I have lived in Thailand for a long time and have never experienced a problem such as you describe,

I do not see blaming the OP's attitude is of any value here.

He is coming off as very sincere and troubled.

I use to go through the same thing on a weekly basis with a lady at the water company when the water was off.

Why is the water off? I don't know.

When will it come back on? No idea

Is there anyone that knows? No

The water main along Rangsit Nakhon Nayok road is right next to the road and one continuous pipe. When a car crashed into it or a break in the line everyone along the entire line was without water and you had absolutely no idea when it would come back on. Sometime a couple days.

This is Thailand

For my extension of stay I need to prepare the following documents:

1 Form TM. 7 with one photograph attached

2 Copy of passport and all passport pages with stamps
3 Birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, letter from school
4 Updated bank passbook showing money in the account of not less than THB 400.000 at day of application, letter from the bank certified the account in the bank of not less than THB 400.000 only 1 day old (first time 2 months, after that 3 months)
5 Photographs showing members of the family, residence, front view of house and interior of the house with household appliances, daily life
6 Handwritten map to residence
7 Lease contract, with signature owner house as in house book
8 Copy house book owner house / copy ID card owner house with signature owner house as in house book
9 Copy notification from Immigration owner house with signature owner house as in house book
10 Copy house book / copy house book child, with signature wife
11 Copy ID card wife, with signature wife
12 Fee of TB 1,900
Remark:
Map must be handwritten no Google map print
Letter bank must be 1 day old, not two or more
Update bank book must be the same day as application day Immigration
THB 400.000 must be my name only NOT again NOT shared with my wife
- all copies double
- take original with you for verification
It's a total of 29 pages x 2 = 58 pages
Make also sure you are dressed as if you go to a 'wedding party', no flip-flops, brush your teeth and NO Beer Chang T-shirt!
In Chonburi the lady at Immigration will reject people if they are not dressed properly.
I have seen lots and lots of Russian girls send away to dress properly first, the girls in a go-go had more clothes one if you understand when I mean, one came to do her paperwork in a swimsuit.....
Last tip: write down exactly what the Immigration Officer wants - next year it will only take you 10 minutes :-)
If you move to another province with another Immigration Office, you may need more or less documents - up to them

I did all that and everything that they asked for, except no mention was made of the ridiculous requirement for the sign/photo quality when I had asked for their list of paperwork.

Since it was the first time in a new province I also had to bring a witness with me.

I felt especially bad for this man who is one of the nicest people I know and gave up a days work to come with me and wouldn't accept anything from me.

I've calmed down a bit this morning, so back we go today after running around, buying a sign and getting new photos printed.

Never heard about to take a witness with you, new for me.

I know that it is possible that Immigration will come to your house to check everything to make sure you live there and not somewhere else with somebody else.

The pictures with my family are in front of the house with the house number clearly visible, don't know how you took your pictures.

Anyway, good luck!

It's much easier to get a visa/extension of stay to visit or stay in Thailand than it is to get a visitor visa for your wife/gf to accompany you on a visit to the UK for a couple of weeks.

Was talking to a mate the other day. His bother-in-law was down from the village and as you can imagine he was a complete waste of space. Anyway, it turns out that his brother-in-law purchased his job (in local government) from his current boss for 300k which he had to pay back to him on a monthly tab, which tells you all you need to know about the Thai civil service.

As long as corruption is endemic within Thailand's culture, then you can expect to deal with 'unsuitable and incompetent' employees who have 'bought' their jobs or got them through 'connections'. Merit, experience and ability have nothing to do with job applications in the civil service here.

Thailand is now the worst performing economy in ASEAN and many foreign companies are heading for the exit door! The current government says they are going to tackle the corruption within the system. Lots of good talk, but I see and hear no concrete results. In fact it appears to be getting worst from what I read in the press and hear on the street.

Some people say that corruption is a victimless crime, but look at Singapore and what they have achieved in 50 years by stamping out corruption and educating the populous. Thailand should be a second Japan, South Korea or Taiwan or China. But instead they are heading back to their bamboo huts in the paddy fields because they cannot create an organised, educated and properly run society with rules that everyone has to obey.

I know a lady that was offered the job as Director of a small school............only if she paid 500,000B under the table.

She told them to stick it. This goes on in every walk of life in Thailand.

Was talking to a mate the other day. His bother-in-law was down from the village and as you can imagine he was a complete waste of space. Anyway, it turns out that his brother-in-law purchased his job (in local government) from his current boss for 300k which he had to pay back to him on a monthly tab, which tells you all you need to know about the Thai civil service.

As long as corruption is endemic within Thailand's culture, then you can expect to deal with 'unsuitable and incompetent' employees who have 'bought' their jobs or got them through 'connections'. Merit, experience and ability have nothing to do with job applications in the civil service here.

Thailand is now the worst performing economy in ASEAN and many foreign companies are heading for the exit door! The current government says they are going to tackle the corruption within the system. Lots of good talk, but I see and hear no concrete results. In fact it appears to be getting worst from what I read in the press and hear on the street.

Some people say that corruption is a victimless crime, but look at Singapore and what they have achieved in 50 years by stamping out corruption and educating the populous. Thailand should be a second Japan, South Korea or Taiwan or China. But instead they are heading back to their bamboo huts in the paddy fields because they cannot create an organised, educated and properly run society with rules that everyone has to obey.

I know a lady that was offered the job as Director of a small school............only if she paid 500,000B under the table.

If it was a job in customs or the police it would be a good deal to make money but not so much in a school where you don't get to extort people all day every day

She was right not to take it, she would not make her investment back for several years

I waited for my number. Sat down with my wife, smiled and said Sawadee Kup.

He never acknowledged my presence or responded and took the dossier of paperwork to examine.

As he was converting the income verification to Baht I asked him politely what exchange rate they used as I was interested in perhaps switching to a retirement visa next time.

Again, he didn't acknowledge my existence.

The first time he spoke to me was after he had rejected the photos and I asked him why.

Curtly, "No good. Need sticker."

Do you need me to examine my behaviour and attitude further?

What suggestions do you have?

There lies your problem, you are kupping instead of krapping.

Rural uneducated Thai's are great to foreigners in my experience, but find any Thai in govt, police, etc. I think there is really a hidden hatred of foreigners marrying their women and being in Thailand in general.

Every office is different whether it is immigration, police, public utilities, the airport, etc. they all want to make their own rules.

This is the way it is and you have to accept it if you want to live there.

Actually rural Thais have to put up with exactly the same obstinate rudeness from Thai officials. Of course every so often the officials get it wrong and some disgruntled HiSo Thai slaps them around :)

If it was a job in customs or the police it would be a good deal to make money but not so much in a school where you don't get to extort people all day every day

She was right not to take it, she would not make her investment back for several years

I think you're wrong in your assumption. I have several friends with school children and they all tell the same story about all the extras the have to fork out every year.

I think you're wrong in your assumption. I have several friends with school children and they all tell the same story about all the extras the have to fork out every year.

And a policeman at a busy intersection getting 200thb every 30 seconds isn't going to make more per calendar day ??

Or customs officers holding thousands of parcels to ransom per day and taking 50% of the official price without a receipt??

No doubt corruption exists in schools too... But nowhere near the earning opportunities of a policeman for example

Well I might as well wrap this little story up.

Back at HH immigration, new photos and witness in tow.

Saw my friend from yeterday, I took a number that was close to where his queue number was and waited.

Witnessed him yelling at an older man who asked why he never had to do something before and if it was changed how was he to know.

Loudly...its up to you to know Thai law, Thai law.

The older gentleman slunk away.

My turn, presented my number to him....wrong queue. My bad. I thought he might have allowed us in since he had already approved all the paperwork.

Not a chance.

Get a new number, you falangs are always taking 2 numbers.

Shortly thereafter, he started taking applications for 1 year visas, but we had a different number sequence and were at the back of that queue.

3 hours later we got our call and as we walked past his desk he grinned and said " oh you made it".

The lady we got was very pleasant but when we handed her the new photos she said the numbers were small. Why not use the photo that was still in the dossier with big numbers.

When we told her the other guy had rejected them yesterday she just said "oh".

Guess you have to stick together.

Anyway, its all good. Then the kicker.

The guy who takes statements from witnesses has left...hardly surprising since its now past closing time on Friday.

You'll have to come back Monday.

This poor man has been dragged there 2 days in a row. I'm dreading asking him.

But we are lucky, they can do it today for 500 baht. OK then 500 baht.

No you need 2 people so 1000 baht.

What are you going to do?

Long, ridiculous story short, my application is in. And my estimation of this bureaucratic nightmare has reached a low I didn't think possible.

• Like 2

Nothing but sympathy. Pattaya Immigration seems remarkably efficient in most things & there are few horror stories as detailed above. There was one very rude bully handling re-entry permits when he could stop: picking his nose; feeding the fish; playing with his phone; going to the toilet. He used to yell at old men. I've not seen him in over a year. Maybe he's been moved to an even more inactive post than the one he held at soi 5.

And in other news, my step-daughter was asked for 200K for a post in the kindergarten of her local village school.