Blood donations at Chaeng Wattana

Went to CM today, got a queue number, sat down and this nice Thai lady announced in perfect English that the Immigration had an activity planned for that day.

We were allowed to donate blood for the Police Hospital. Where I always feel that an activity means something fun to do, I cynically thought about what if they would make this mandatory for foreigners applying for visas.

It pretty easy to realize that her efforts to get blood donations were rather futile. Most foreigners at Chaeng Wattana are on the edge of their nerves and not interested in any medical procedure.

The nice lady, again in perfect English, didn't give up and repeated her request. This time she added a little bonus for those willing to donate blood: a special and faster queue number. Seeing it is believing it, but this really was communicated this morning. Donate your blood and you can skip the queues.

Just had to share my experience, which in my opinion reaches the limits of morality. I shrug it off and laughed about it.

• Like 2

Did many people change their mind and agreed to give blood to jump the queue?

Most people pay to jump the queue anyway or try to find a way to jump the queue; Schools employees, agents, motorcycles drivers, lawyers, people who come in group and one queues for the rest of the group, people who come accompanied with their crippled parents, their young toddlers, some people even have their maid queuing for them.

Curious how people jump the queue. When you arrive the 1st thing you do it get a ticket with a number on it from a printed machine. Once someone has gotten the ticket, how do they issue a ticket in between number 1 & number 2 for example?

• Like 1

I don't know about testing procedures, just found it intriguing to hear an immigration officer announce an 'activity' and fast lane bonus.

Bit weird I feel.

Of course is weird, if I haven't been living here for years I would have said that you invented the story... But this is in line with the kind of Thainess I'm accustomed with...

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

There are mobile blood dotation vans that go about government offices and set up to collect blood donations..... apparently there was one at Chaeng Wattana that day.

I've seen such vans outside some of the shopping malls in Bangkok.

I imagine there would be a little "pressure" on junior officials in immigration by their superiors to get people to "volunteer" to give blood in such a situation.

Curious how people jump the queue. When you arrive the 1st thing you do it get a ticket with a number on it from a printed machine. Once someone has gotten the ticket, how do they issue a ticket in between number 1 & number 2 for example?

They take bundles of tickets at random intervals for agents and people paying extra for express services...

I've seen the ticket number jump 30 places before from like 105 to 135 in a second.. I can only assume that someone did 30 passports at once

It's not unusual to see Thai fixers with wads of farang passports and my gf works for a big company and the personell dept does it this way as well

Whatever tea money they pay is still cheaper than having all the foreign stuck there for a day etc

• Like 1

They take bundles of tickets at random intervals for agents and people paying extra for express services...

I've seen the ticket number jump 30 places before from like 105 to 135 in a second.. I can only assume that someone did 30 passports at once

It's not unusual to see Thai fixers with wads of farang passports and my gf works for a big company and the personell dept does it this way as well

Whatever tea money they pay is still cheaper than having all the foreign stuck there for a day etc

I would've thought they would just need one ticket queue number when they bring those 30 passports with them.

It always pisses me off when I see one of those people, you think your number will come up soon then some Thai person comes with 30 passports rather than those people coming in themselves & doing it.