Special - All Is Normal For Tourism In Phuket After Coup

NBT TV Phuket

When there is a change in administration or government, there is unavoidably some impact on other issues. In today’s special report, we reflect some opinions and overall impact on the tourism industry in Phuket and this region.

Following the seizure of power by the Administrative Reform Council led by Army chief commander General Sonthi Boon-Ya-rat-glin on Tuesday night, Phuket Governor Udomsak Uswarngura yesterday called a meeting with key local tourism and business figures about the impact of the change, and a press briefing with local media in Phuket to explain the situation. He stated that after the change the local authority promptly informed and explained to all foreign organizations in Phuket such as British, Swedish and Norwegians consuls that it was a peaceful take-over and there was no resistance. The authority wishes to see the general public and tourists follow their normal lives. Being a tourist resort island, which relies heavily on overseas holiday makers, governor Udomsak said the overall tourism impact for Phuket is still quite normal.

On the private sector’s side, a hotel in Phuket Town, which usually attracts the Asian markets like the Chinese tourists, has seen some cancellations after the news was reported;

But the Phuket Tourist Association president, Maitree Na-reu-khat-pi- chai, stressed that overall the take-over has had only a small immediate impact on the local tourism industry.

Maitree however asks the new administrators to send out clear signs of safety and friendliness for tourists while visiting Thailand, as Phuket relies on tourism. He also states that hoteliers are still seeing healthy bookings for this up coming high season.

Meanwhile the assistant director of the Phuket office for the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Runjuan Thongru, anticipates that Phuket should not suffer much from the political changes. She said the TAT’s 18 overseas offices worldwide are now working on sending clear messages to travels agents, media and travel writers in their area to explain the fact.

At the same time TAT overseas offices are monitoring tourism situations and bookings from their areas and reporting to the Bangkok office.

With some cancellations among Korean travelers, the TAT will try to explain the facts to them like the normal situation in Thailand, but Runjuan stressed that so far the other bookings remain unchanged citing Scandinavian and Australian markets as examples:

Runjuan also stated that Japanese holiday makers are also among those who are still confirming their holidays to Thailand.

On the business side, the President of Phuket Chamber of Commerce said business in Phuket is operating as normal and that his organization has not seen any indication of large stock piling nor price rises.

Attending the meeting as well, the British Honorary Consul in Phuket, Alan Cooke, spoke personally, not officially, about his own impressions as an expat in Thailand:

It should be pointed out to anyone who worries, that everything is normal here at the moment, with the usual flight schedules, and local transportation links, with no delays or inconvenience, despite the presence of some soldiers at the airport for extra security. Unlike coups in the past or elsewhere, here in Phuket, everything important like electricity, water, communications, banks, law and order, are still normal.

---------------

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=188288

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable channel 1 , Friday 22 September 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com { Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

I have to say that I have not noticed any adverse affects on tourism so far. I was in Patong on Saturday night and people were far mroe concerned about the rain than anything else - and there were still hoardes of Korean tourists getting their pcitures taken with Katoeys!

On a trip to Tesco Lotus this morning (Phuket) I had to dismount my motorbike and show what was stashed under the seat before I could park - I've never been asked to do that before. All trucks and cars entering were being searched inside and underneath and Police were patrolling the car park on foot.

I've not seen security so tight before, but I guess this is more to do with the recent bombings in Hat Yai than the coup....I'm not sure if this makes Tourists feel safer, but I felt distinctly uneasy.

On a trip to Tesco Lotus this morning (Phuket) I had to dismount my motorbike and show what was stashed under the seat before I could park - I've never been asked to do that before. All trucks and cars entering were being searched inside and underneath and Police were patrolling the car park on foot.

I've not seen security so tight before, but I guess this is more to do with the recent bombings in Hat Yai than the coup....I'm not sure if this makes Tourists feel safer, but I felt distinctly uneasy.

i think is very good,also to me and my car today happen the same,and i'm very happy that he check,but i think the check-control is still soft and cannot be enough

in tesco i not see police,but only staff tesco :o