Change visa extension date

Hi

Does anybody know if it is possible to change your visa extension date? I am on a retirement visa which I have to renew every July. For personal reasons I would like to be able to renew it in January instead. I would be quite happy to pay twice in one year if necessary to readjust.

Thanks

Ian

As said the only way to change it is to go out without a re-entry permit and get a singe entry non-o visa from an nearby embassy or consulate and apply for a new extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the visa would allow.

If you want it to be in January you would want to go out in October to get the non-o visa.

Thanks folks:

If I stayed with the retirement visa, what is the earliest I could apply for renewal? (deadline is July 17)

How easy is it to get a single entry non-O visa compared with retirement? (which was a legal pain in the ass as I recall, sworn affidavits, police and medical checks etc. I don't want to go through that again).

In the same vein, how easy is to annually renew a non-O visa?

You can apply for an extension up to 45 day early at some offices and 30 at others.

To apply for a single entry non-o visa you would just need your passport to prove your age and the same financial proof you need for an extension. If using the money in the bank it just has to be in the bank on the date you apply (60 days or 3 months not needed). Vientiane Laos and Penang Malaysia are the best locations to get it,

• Like 1

Thanks folks:

If I stayed with the retirement visa, what is the earliest I could apply for renewal? (deadline is July 17)

How easy is it to get a single entry non-O visa compared with retirement? (which was a legal pain in the ass as I recall, sworn affidavits, police and medical checks etc. I don't want to go through that again).

In the same vein, how easy is to annually renew a non-O visa?

It sounds like you started out with a Non Immigrant OA (long stay) visa and have been extending yearly in Thailand since then?

You are not actually extending your visa but rather the permission to stay that you got when entering Thailand on that visa. So the process of extending your stay is the same whether you enter on a Non Immigrant O or a Non Immigrant OA visa. That means that the extensions will be business as usual for you.

Sophon

• Like 1

Here's a thought. If I went to Vientiane to get a non O visa and there was some unforeseen hitch, could I hedge my bets and get a re-entry permit in advance (so I could re-enter on my OA visa) or would that automatically nullify my non O application?

If you got a re-entry permit the immigration officer might insist on stamping you into the country based upon it instead of the non-o.

The chances of not getting the non-o is almost zero as long as you have the required financial proof.

• Like 1

I just found out that if I switch to non O visa and my wife predeceases me then the visa is immediately revoked. Is that true? Is there a grace period? (at least for the funeral).

Getting a non-o visa to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement is what has been discussed.

If you applied for an extension of stay based upon marriage it is tied to you being married. It would not immediately end upon the death of you wife. It would remain valid until it expired. It would immediately end if you got divorced.

Ubonjoe, thanks for your patience and apologies for posting this topic in what I guess is the wrong forum.

Just to be clear, when I apply for a non O visa do I stipulate at the outset that it is based on retirement?

(I initially thought all non O visas were based on marriage facepalm.gif)

If I am applying for the non O visa based on retirement do I still have to supply marriage certificate, wife's id etc?

I am getting my info from http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49 as I will be applying in London.

Finally, can you explain why anyone would want to choose OA rather than O (or vice versa) if they wanted a retirement visa?

Ubonjoe, thanks for your patience and apologies for posting this topic in what I guess is the wrong forum.

Just to be clear, when I apply for a non O visa do I stipulate at the outset that it is based on retirement?

(I initially thought all non O visas were based on marriage facepalm.gif)

If I am applying for the non O visa based on retirement do I still have to supply marriage certificate, wife's id etc?

I am getting my info from http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49 as I will be applying in London.

Finally, can you explain why anyone would want to choose OA rather than O (or vice versa) if they wanted a retirement visa?

Many Embasseys/Consulates will not provide a single entry O visa on the basis of being over 50. London I believe is one such Embassy.

Follow the advice given by Ubonjoe and you will be OK.

Edited by nowretired

It does not matter what basis your non-o visa is issued for. You will find it much easier to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in the UK. It is almost impossible to get one based upon being 50 or over in the UK.

When you apply for your new extension of stay you will apply for an extension of stay.based upon retirement You can apply for it with a non-o visa entry that was issued based upon marriage.

• Like 1