[advisory] Firefox user? You need to update immediately

RichCor

As if there weren't enough exploits to worry about, this one is for FireFox.

In a blog post Thursday, Mozilla's Daniel Veditz wrote, "a Firefox user informed us that an advertisement on a news site in Russia was serving a Firefox exploit that searched for sensitive files and uploaded them to a server that appears to be in Ukraine. This morning Mozilla released security updates that fix the vulnerability. All Firefox users are urged to update to Firefox 39.0.3. The fix has also been shipped in Firefox ESR 38.1.1."

Update Firefox now! Fix rushed out for an exploit that steals files off your hard drive
If you haven't got the update yet, you should get it right now.
PCWorld | Ian Paul Contributor | Aug 7, 2015 7:01 AM

File-Stealing Firefox Exploit Patched
A day after a Firefox user in Russia disclosed the vulnerability, Mozilla released a security update.
PC Magazine | BY STEPHANIE MLOT | AUGUST 7, 2015

Yeah well I take my chances with old but good and trusted FF 19. I don't go to Russian news sites and centainly not for pdf's. And from FF32 on , there are some problems with winXP.

But it is good to be warned.

If you're like me , and don't want to update and/or don't want to have that annoying PDF viewer in FF:

Go to about:config and change pdfjs.disabled to True.

PDF's now won't open in browser , but downloadable and open with Foxit , much better and smaller than the adobe cr-p.

Thanks for the heads up.

I always run Sumo Update Monitor when I start my PC and it was listed

The annoying thing with Sumo is that it needs updating more than anything else on my PC. Nevertheless I use it and was wondering if the best way to update it is to still manually download the zip file, install it and run from there? Previously when I tried a more automated approach to installing Sumo I got a nasty attack of Malware if I am not mistaken so never tried anything other than the zip approach since?

Archived