SURVEY: Will political upheaval return to Thailand?

Scott

Will political turmoil return to Thailand with Suthep Thaugsuban's return to political activism?  

269 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Suthep would be run over by a concrete mixer truck today and dragged along the road for - let's say another 250m, I'd throw the biggest party our village here has ever witnessed!

The upheaval however will be result of unhappy, out of business, hungry and disillusioned men on the street who suffer under Prayut's ever increasing law and order frenzy that points not into the direction of the mafia, not into the direction of the wealthy VIP world, not in the direction of ill-motivated huge companies, but only into the direction of the common people. An idiot like Suthep in the mix makes things even worse...

Deep South still hasn't been cleaned up and the muslim separatist problem is still there, tourist numbers and numbers of foreign investments are on a steep decline, so many tasks obviosuly on the table, but nothing to solve them is done. Instead they discuss about buying submarines or becoming the education hub of ASEAN what is one of the best jokes ever.

Edited by Blitzkrieg Bob

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief man - stop with your red-shirt communist revolution claptrap and wake up. Thailand is a better place now than it was when Pheu-Thai were murdering protestors and stealing everything they could get their dirty hands on.

And do you actually believe that Mr T is not still pulling all the strings for Pheu-Thai and the red-shirts ?. Or are you just being a hypocrite ?. And hyena would be a better description than wolf.

Do you actually believe that the current situation will never change? That the PM will always be loved, that events will always be peaceful, that the new corrupt breed will not be discovered, ever?

The ONLY thing that is absolutely 100% unchangeably definitely certain is that things will change. They will not stay where they are now. And the biggest events impacting on that are those which are absolutely completely totally forbidden to discuss. Nevertheless (as Corpernicus said) they move.

Everything will be fine.

As long as there are no elections.

Suthep is at the ready, to make sure that will not happen.

The country is being held to ransom, and they don't even know it.

Let the honest ones stay in and there will be no problem.

Try to get them out and. .......

Thailand is ripe for some Pol Pot or Ho Chi Minh style clean up. Corrupt Police, state reps, politicians, and the extremely distasteful rich and famous in this country. They all should be wiped out, or re-educated as the former mentioned gentlemen called it. Unfortunately many innocents will also suffer.

A more worrying scenario is maybe a future Strongman with populist ideas. We have seen what that can cause. The easiest way to unite a nation, is to speak against all the bad foreigners. This recipe has proven successful in the history, and has worked again and again. As we all know, history seems to repeat itself.

First the foreigners from the poorer neighbour countries will be targeted, because they are not pure, and they also take the jobs. Then the more financial secure (Westerners and Arabs?) will be taken care of, because they are here to exploit this poor country

All in the name of making a proud united nation again.

Anyone who has watched the behaviour of the red-shirts will know that they will NEVER take to the streets on their own because of any unjust politics (like the people of Bangkok did after the amnesty bill).

It will only happen when somebody hires all the busses and arranges the venues for the parties so that people will get a free holiday and not have to spend anything themselves.

Then the paid thugs can mingle with the regular people and do what we have seen so often already.

So the only question is when the UDD leadership get the order and the funds to make it happen. And I don't see that happening while the junta are in charge because the entire plan depends on dirty police allowing it. I remember at the start of the last protests when the red-shirts were in a stadium near my condo. The police withdrew completely to allow them to carry out their murders and violence - and even guarded a bridge for a sniper.

I think a LOT of plans are being made for when the junta are gone - especially if the reds don't like who is in government.

funny i don't remember the people of bangkok getting on buses and going up to Udon to protest, paid or otherwise. i guess its different when you only have to step outside to be counted :/

I believe there will be further upheaval, also that Suthep was resurrected because the military 'government' is out of steam and out of ideas. I think he was brought back specifically to rouse the rabble.

In addition, there are a number of people who have been working very hard to bring about civil conflict in Thailand, and that's been the case since Thaksin was first ousted. Little by little appears to be their approach.

I guess we'll see.

Anyone who has watched the behaviour of the red-shirts will know that they will NEVER take to the streets on their own because of any unjust politics (like the people of Bangkok did after the amnesty bill).

It will only happen when somebody hires all the busses and arranges the venues for the parties so that people will get a free holiday and not have to spend anything themselves.

Then the paid thugs can mingle with the regular people and do what we have seen so often already.

So the only question is when the UDD leadership get the order and the funds to make it happen. And I don't see that happening while the junta are in charge because the entire plan depends on dirty police allowing it. I remember at the start of the last protests when the red-shirts were in a stadium near my condo. The police withdrew completely to allow them to carry out their murders and violence - and even guarded a bridge for a sniper.

I think a LOT of plans are being made for when the junta are gone - especially if the reds don't like who is in government.

Hmmm Well, the roots of the conflict are to be found in this post. So much bile against the red-shirts that you might almost think they didn't genuinely win a free and fair election, and instead usurped the legitimately elected government of the day in a treasonous conspiracy.

Like it or not, the electoral power (and majority) for the last 15 years has come from the red-shirts. I'm sure you don't like it but not liking it doesn't make it undemocratic. Instead, not liking it means corrupt people like Suthep and his equally corrupt monkish friend will rouse the rabble and try to enforce their world-view on everyone else.

That's the real nature of the coming conflict.

revenge is a plate that you have to eat cold.....politic is money and many people loosed money with all these changes so they will be ready to act and try to controll again the system for their own profit as always.

this country is not prepared,very poor education, no intelectual, no ingeneeres, no books, no free press, no free media...etc etc etc ... i just hope for then they dont loose the tourism, cause then the huracan will face them right into their pocket.

coffee1.gif

Its not Suthep,we need to worry about,its the other guy

in the desert or wherever he is,if he brings his red thugs

out again,they are the ones that resort to violence,with

bombs,bullets,and rocket launchers,and don't forget arson.

Peace will never occur in Thailand until the megalomaniac

no longer walks the earth.

regards Worgeordie

Seriously!!! When will you people wake up that crying the wolf in Dubai just isn't working any more...

Mark is a political cripple, but if he had some ball's [real policies for ALL Thailand not just BKK] he could stand a chance and win an election rather than having the job handed to him on a silver platter like last time and most things in his very very privileged silver spoon life...

Suthep and the current self imposed PM are a political nightmare, They are both megalomaniac's, full of self importance, ignorance, and completely unaware that their ivory towers will come crashing down sooner or latter.

You can only push people so far, then they will push back, history is a great teacher.

Good grief man - stop with your red-shirt communist revolution claptrap and wake up. Thailand is a better place now than it was when Pheu-Thai were murdering protestors and stealing everything they could get their dirty hands on.

And do you actually believe that Mr T is not still pulling all the strings for Pheu-Thai and the red-shirts ?. Or are you just being a hypocrite ?. And hyena would be a better description than wolf.

WOW!!! Don't get your knickers in a twist Popit, (EnglishJohn,) settle down now, there there,,, Ok lets address your lil rant.

1. "red-shirt communist claptrap" Please educate us in your infinite wisdom, just where in my comment would it be considered "communist"?

2. "Thailand is in a better place now than it was when Pheu-Thai were murdering protestors and stealing everything they could get their dirty hands on".

So you have proof irrefutable that that the Pheu-Thai were murdering protestors??? I think not... but lets see your evidence!!!!!

But I do seem to recall the military was sent in and soldiers shooting protestors, and journalists being shot as well.

As for stealing, well Yeah Politician, = Liar & thief, But not all of them, a little like the BIB IMO.

3. Mr T. pulling strings, your kidding right? The man is a power broker, that's what they do... The question is what strings and with whom? also just how much pull he has got?

4. "Or are you a hypocrite? Just where in my post did I say anything, ANYTHING, that is hypocritical.

Considering the political history of this country, well it's fairly good odds that there will be upheaval,

Just what will be the catalyst next time and how far will it go?

It's obvious that upheaval will return. It has been part of the political process for a long time and I don't see that anything has changed recently.

They could put laws and measures in place so that elected people don't abuse the system and use it to create a monopoly on power but that never happens. At least as a token gesture, but no.

What makes things doubly hopeless is that even if they did have laws that said ruling parties had term limits, or whatever it takes to get a rotation of people at the helm of government, they likely wouldn't be upheld. I don't think there has ever been rule of law in Thailand so people are ingrained to not respect laws. Pheu Thai's refusal to accept the ruling of the court was an example of that. Add to that that no one seems to have any sincere intention of helping anyone but themselves or their close allies when in government and it is a guarantee there will be upheaval. There will be resentment and no other way to remove whoever is hogging the feeding trough.

There is no end in sight to the whole cycle and that situation seems to be totally acceptable to all until they themselves lose out. When they lose they start fighting. I think this is pretty obvious to most people, but a question with an obvious answer was asked.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Everything will be fine.

As long as there are no elections.

Suthep is at the ready, to make sure that will not happen.

The country is being held to ransom, and they don't even know it.

Let the honest ones stay in and there will be no problem.

Try to get them out and. .......

Try to get them out and. ....... you will have more banana peels hurled at television cameramen and more references to their opponents being “ human trash “gigglem.gif

I believe the present military administration will have to remain in power much longer than they are anticipating .

If Suthep is wise , which one doubts , he would serve the country better by not returning to politics .

Sutheps presence in politics again , would be as inflamatory as Thaksin returning to Thailand .

don't be fooled. its all well orchestrated show. itc will only give prayut an excuse to keep holding power and to delay elections

I still have to understand what is better for this country...a "moderate dictatorship" or a "fake democracy"...

Perhaps if the junta had come to power and acted in a fair and unbiased manner, peace could have been achieved, but what has happened?

An unabashed purge of the democratically elected administration and everyone who had the slightest affiliation with them. From politicians national and local, to state department officials, police, soldiers, students, academics, journalists, villages, communities,...they have been summoned, detained and had their 'attitudes adjusted', families threatened threatened and bank accounts frozen.

Does anyone actually believe that the huge swath of PTP voters are happy with this situation. The false sense of peace & security is because the junta forced them all to sign agreements to remain silent under severe duress. The lid is firmly shut on the boiling pot!

yes and no....nothing will happen NOW...it is just a warmup when the army goes home, Suthep will try to build a strong group to check on politicians.

But he may fail on the mai pen rai attitude of many people.

yes and no....nothing will happen NOW...it is just a warmup when the army goes home, Suthep will try to build a strong group to check on politicians.

"Suthep will try to build a strong group to check on politicians. "

He is building a strong group to further his own political ambitions - because he knows he cannot achieve them through the democratic process.

If he fails it will be because the Thai people will eventually not accept him assuming power he cannot win in an election.

Thailands political upheaval has been caused by those people unwilling to accept the result of democratic elections. Until those people change their attitude , any future elections will probably again result in upheaval if those they support do not win.

It has been said that ' democracy doesn't work in Thailand '.

Clearly this is true. So long as the coup culture thrives , democracy is dead in the water.

Hmmm Well, the roots of the conflict are to be found in this post. So much bile against the red-shirts that you might almost think they didn't genuinely win a free and fair election, and instead usurped the legitimately elected government of the day in a treasonous conspiracy.

Like it or not, the electoral power (and majority) for the last 15 years has come from the red-shirts. I'm sure you don't like it but not liking it doesn't make it undemocratic. Instead, not liking it means corrupt people like Suthep and his equally corrupt monkish friend will rouse the rabble and try to enforce their world-view on everyone else.

That's the real nature of the coming conflict.

The redshirts did not win an election.They were associated with political parties that did win however - but represented only a small minority of millions of Thais that have tired of the arrogant old elites.Most of course are working class and lower middle class.The key bases are the North and North East but there are large minorities in Bangkok and other urban centres.Unless there are some drastic changes - of which there are at present no sign - this party in whatever form will always win fairly conducted democratic elections.

The whole point of the current government is to prevent the above whether by rigging the constitution, packing parliament with their stooges or if necessary by brute force.

But they will fail.

Quote "The upheaval however will be result of unhappy, out of business, hungry and disillusioned men on the street". This is not the receipt for Thailand only it will be a world wide upheaval. A warning sign is the fact that people are showing their discontent by backing "The Donald" in opinion polls. Right wing parties have no solutions except to take away women's rights over their bodies which is sacred right after SS. Left wing parties are winning around the globe but unfortunately like Greece the politicos are not listening to the people. This is a receipt for disaster. This is the last hurrah for many people who again and again look to politics for change and it ain't ever going to happen. You the people do not control politicians Big Business does.

"Suthep will try to build a strong group to check on politicians. "

He is building a strong group to further his own political ambitions - because he knows he cannot achieve them through the democratic process.

If he fails it will be because the Thai people will eventually not accept him assuming power he cannot win in an election.

OTOH what will happen if he is successful and wins the election?

Personally I hope it never happens.

There are many politicians like him and of his era. They need to go to the home for old political dinosaurs.

Edited by billd766

Quote "The upheaval however will be result of unhappy, out of business, hungry and disillusioned men on the street". This is not the receipt for Thailand only it will be a world wide upheaval. A warning sign is the fact that people are showing their discontent by backing "The Donald" in opinion polls. Right wing parties have no solutions except to take away women's rights over their bodies which is sacred right after SS. Left wing parties are winning around the globe but unfortunately like Greece the politicos are not listening to the people. This is a receipt for disaster. This is the last hurrah for many people who again and again look to politics for change and it ain't ever going to happen. You the people do not control politicians Big Business does.

Thanks for quoting me, ElGordo, and I believe you are correct - this is not reduced to Thailand! The gap between poor and super rich is getting wider by the day, and with arrogant, blind and deaf politicians worldwide sitting in their ivory towers, counting the cash the big corporations pay them, thinking they are untouchable, it all will end in tears and blood. History will repeat itself. It always does.