Australia suggests Vegemite sales limit amid 'alcohol abuse'

webfact

Australia suggests Vegemite sales limit amid 'alcohol abuse'

(BBC) Australia's government says some communities should consider limiting the sale of the popular Vegemite spread because it is being used to make alcohol.

It says the yeast-based product is contributing to anti-social behaviour in some remote communities.

Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion described the salty spread as a "precursor to misery".

He said it was being bought in bulk to make moonshine.

Brewer's yeast is a key ingredient in the spread and is used in the production of beer and ale.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-08-10

Rubbish! Vegemite is far too salty for any wort, and besides, it's "yeast extract" not active yeast.

Banning Vegemite but not sugar and bakers yeast? It's almost Thainess in it's irrationality.

My guess is that Vegemite, if it is being used in home brew, has nothing to do with the actual brewing, but may be used for colour and taste.

Edited by Seastallion

Can't you just buy huge containers of brewers yeast in the stores over there ?

A number of Aboriginal communities are designated as 'dry' due to the terrible societal damage caused by abuse of alcohol. Some Aboriginal communities have some of the world's highest rates for suicide, domestic violence and sexual abuse. Accordingly I would assume any product that can be used for home brew would be banned from local stores.

The government has just declined to ban Vegemite in the communities - although now a US owned brand, it's still an Aussie iconsmile.png

of course you can. There are also 'home brew' shops, selling all the gear needed to make a variety of beers, cider and ginger beer.

There is a good selection of yeasts.

of course you can. There are also 'home brew' shops, selling all the gear needed to make a variety of beers, cider and ginger beer.

In all the Aboriginal Communities that I worked in (Northern territory). anything with yeast in it was banned from sale. alcohol is a major problem in communities

It's been canned already....It's not being banned !!!...thank goodness

What next will the Aboriginals stuff up for the WORKING Australian population...

It's not the aboriginals, whitefella. It's the Australian government thats conducting these ugly social experiments.

100% of problems are caused by the government.

Edited by Time Traveller

In all the Aboriginal Communities that I worked in (Northern territory). anything with yeast in it was banned from sale. alcohol is a major problem in communities

No bread? No pizza?

That eating Vegemite as a part of one's diet contributes to anti-social bahaviour has been something known about the general population of Australia for years. Marmite, on the other hand, is a positive contributor to the development of a strong character. One only has to see recent performances on the cricket pitch for the Ashes to know that this theory is true.

What next will the Aboriginals stuff up for the WORKING Australian population...

It's not the aboriginals, whitefella. It's the Australian government thats conducting these ugly social experiments.

Have you ever been to australia you clown? Ever been to one of the communities? They have banned alcohol sales in some towns due to the aboriginals not being able to control themselves. Ever been to the mall in central darwin? Ever lived near drunken aboriginals? I think you are one of those politically correct types that does not like to hear or see the real life. Its not being racist,its being truthful. Granted not 100% as i have met and worked with very decent aboriginals but all their relatives try to pull them down to their level. And this was told to me by the decent ones who moved away from family for this very reason

Spot on there cobber. The govenment should subsidise all the alcohol these communities want and let the darwinian process sort it all out.

I think you will find it eas the aboriginal elders that requested the booze ban in the first place.

It says the yeast-based product is contributing to anti-social behaviour in some remote communities.

That explains why the question "where can I get Vegimite" keeps cropping up in the Pattaya forum... tongue.png

No it's because a life time of consumption makes you hung like a horse. Maybe I shouldn't have revealed that national secret...