Warning against Dengue fever issued nationwide

webfact

Warning against Dengue fever issued nationwide

BANGKOK, 10 August 2015 (NNT)-The Department of Disease Control has issued a series of warning against the spread of Dengue fever during the rainy season.

According to the Department's weekly disease monitoring report, an outbreak tends to rise steadily thanks to the frequent rainfall all over the country, causing water-logging where Aedes mosquitoes, carriers of Dengue fever, lay their eggs.

Last week, 3,303 people were reportedly infected by the virus, three of whom died, one each from Pathum Thani, Ratchaburi and Petchaburi provinces; which brings this year's total number of infections to 42,900 and 35 deaths. The disease mostly spreads especially among children between 15-24 and 10-14 years of age. Parents have been informed of strict disease monitoring.

Five provinces: Rayong, Trad, Petchaburi, Tak and Ang Thong, are the areas where the disease mostly reportedly spread, said the Department.

Dengue Fever is a disease, transmitted by the bite of an Aedes mosquito infected with a dengue virus. The symptoms include severe joint and muscle pain, swollen lymph nodes, headache, fever, exhaustion, and rash, which can develop into an acute phase of illness leading to severe complications or even death.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-10 footer_n.gif

"The disease mostly spreads especially among children between 15-24 and 10-14 years of age."

What a mess. I suppose saying "people between 15 and 24 years of age" was too simple? Not enough words?

Edited by Bodene

"The disease mostly spreads especially among children between 15-24 and 10-14 years of age."

What a mess. I suppose saying "people between 15 and 24 years of age" was too simple? Not enough words?

I think it is clear what this report want to say....coffee1.gif

Edited by HyperRai

To me it reads like all children between 10 and 24 are in danger.

Or is it possible that the 15 year olds are somehow, miraculously protected against contracting this disease?

I will not have to keep an eye out for it, though. Although we live in Trad, my son is a mere 6 years of age, thank Buddha. Little chance of him running into one of these nasty moskies!

I've had it twice, not fun. That said 3 fatalities out of 3000 cases should not cause too much panic. I would hazard guess that run bigger risk on roads going to hospital than from the disease.... how about dealing with that man made epidemic?