The procession from the market to the temple at the top of Soi nernplubwan

n210mp

My normal ingrained cynicism got turned off today for at least the time it took for the procession of most of the schools in this area to send a contingent of students, teachers and parents on a walk to celebrate Mothers or Moms day here in Pattaya, finishing up with celebrations and a firework display in the grounds of the said temple. (I didn't go though)

I needed a bit of a kick up the arse because I had recently been falling into that old trap of being angry and frustrated with my role in these here parts, you all must have an idea of what I am talking about so I will in the interests of brevity and not feeding the trolls keep a positive edge to this thread

The point is that I was touched, yes this old fart/warrior was nearly brought to tears whilst watching those lovely people walk past proudly displaying pictures of the ladies of the royal household

The happiness of these lovely folk was reflected in their smiling faces, the young, the teens, the old some walking with obvious infirmity but still proud and walking

For a few minutes I felt that I was one with them, not a farang, I had been given a glimpse into just who they are.

Sentiment tosh? maybe but for a few minutes I actually felt proud of them and one with them.

Then at the end of the procession there came a facsimile of the Horse guards band, a large brass band, all in tune and playing some English brass band favourite, they were all dressed in black uniforms with a great feathery plume on their hats.

All in all a bit of an eye opener for me personally, with all its faults Thailand has a great heart that today maybe for the first time in a long time I was reminded of