Bridge mode for humax modem

narkeddiver

Hi,

True have given me a humax modem for my new internet connection

I prefer to use my router to control things so with previous modems I've logged into the router admin page and turned on bridge mode

The problem is that the humax doesn't seem to have a simple setting for bridge mode

Has anyone got any experience in finding / changing this setting on a humax?

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure that you can't use your own cable modem with TRUE DOCSIS. A couple of years ago I tried to convince them to let me as I had already bought a Motorola modem but both the installer and the TRUE call centre said they never allow that.

There is no user/password login with DOCSIS so they have to provision the modem so no way to switch it surreptitiously even if you clone the mac address.

The solution is to ask them to give you a CISCO modem which does support bridge mode. That's what I did.

On 11/12/2016 at 4:18 PM, thedemon said:

I'm pretty sure that you can't use your own cable modem with TRUE DOCSIS. A couple of years ago I tried to convince them to let me as I had already bought a Motorola modem but both the installer and the TRUE call centre said they never allow that.

There is no user/password login with DOCSIS so they have to provision the modem so no way to switch it surreptitiously even if you clone the mac address.

The solution is to ask them to give you a CISCO modem which does support bridge mode. That's what I did.

Thanks for this.  I will try them one more time.  Buying my own modem was the advice from their tech group.  I will try your suggestion first but when asked I was told there is no other router choice than the Humax

39 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Thanks for this.  I will try them one more time.  Buying my own modem was the advice from their tech group.  I will try your suggestion first but when asked I was told there is no other router choice than the Humax

You were correct.  When I went back a second time they advise that I will need their Cisco modem which I can then configure to bridged mode.  Thanks 

• 2 months later...

So, guys, are you all happy with this solution?   Success?   I, also, was unhappy with the performance of the True routers and yesterday I bought a nice one at Seacon.   Got home and ran up against this issue.   Called True this morning and they are working on getting me a Cisco router.   Do you have any further advice?

The Cisco is a single port modem, so perfect for running your own router behind.  If you get stuck with the Humax check to see if it has a DMZ setting.  If it does just turn on DMZ, turn off firewall, and run your own router to the DMZ port.  Most everyday things should work behind that set up.  I have a Superspeed (who knows...) router from True and have to run the DMZ set up.

One thing to note about Cisco modem - it doesn't do more than 100Mb speed, so if you have a newer Docsis 3 plan you're probably out of luck.  You might want to confirm with True before you get them to swap out your current routers.