holiday visa - australia

Hi all,

I am Maltese, working and living in Thailand with my Thai wife. My passport is expiring early next year and i cannot renew it in Thailand as there is no embassy, My nearest option is to fly to Beijing but i'd rather go to Australia. I will fly to Sydney and renew my passport there.

I am wondering what type of visa I need for myself (Maltese passport) and also for my wife who holds a Thai passport. My wife's sister is married to an Aussie and has been living there for the last 6 years so this is our main reason for choosing Australia to visit them whilst applying for passport renewal.

Would we need any letter of invitation from my wife' sister? Where would we apply for the visa? We're based on Samui.

Many thanks for all input! Much appreciated!

You can apply online for a tourist visa.

Best show your details about everything to do with your relationship, ties to Malta, thailand etc, travel plans, family in OZ.

Why you going for holiday etc. Explain that well.

Don't buy tickets until they say yes.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a web site that may help you. Type....take Thai girlfriend to Australia and site with OZ will appear. I know she is your wife but the info there helped me a lot. One important thing is "compelling reason to return".

Fact that your married and will be travelling with her is a winner. You will need to show that you can support her financially on the trip. While money in her bank account is not necessary it would be helpful.

I do not agree with comment about buying plane ticket after application. Having them along with itinerary would be a plus. You can pay extra to be able to cancel ticket.

Make sure your application is complete. Best to provide too much rather than too little. Anything you have here, even say a car and proof of ownership is a plus. A dwelling here in Thailand even better. Her sister can provide a letter of invitation. You also can include details of you intend to support your wife during your stay in OZ.

If she works here include details. You will be fine

Oh and do not apply online. Go to the trendy building bkk if you have access to it. Make sure your have all originals with you. There is a photocopy service there if you forget something. My last two application were like a book. No offence to poster but online app is not the approach. You will including the house sink in your app. House book etc. I included my tax return a stat detc for au embassy. House book. Proof I had know her for some years. Her daughters birth certificate. Many pictures including with her family etc. All to demonstrate reason to return to Thailand. Complete itinerary.... List goes on and on. Most applications fail because a lack of effort and detail. And almost all docs require originals. Things like your marriage etc. Good luck