The lane between soi 5 & 7 demolished (near the TV bar)

mcfish

Hopefully somebody will be able to help you on this matter, sorry, I cannot be of any assistance but if I could, I most certainly would...it's the type of question I often ask myself when passing similar situations in the course of a stroll with a friend.

But I got to thinking lately...why do we humans spend so much time speculating about the future, when all we have to do is sit back and let it unfold before our eyes.

The reason all this started in my head was because it is nearing "Election Time" in a couple of major countries around the world (not least my own with it's population of 4.5 million persons). Constant round the clock discussions about what the eventual outcome might be (and for sure getting more intense as the time gets nearer). Hours upon hours of differing points of view and opinions. etc., etc., etc., as if it was all going to happen when would be no longer be around to see the eventual outcome. Time that could be spent in much better ways like discussing how to solve the world's hunger problems or the immigrant crises.

Really sorry for going off on a different track but just needed to vent it. GB.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help you on this matter, sorry, I cannot be of any assistance but if I could, I most certainly would...it's the type of question I often ask myself when passing similar situations in the course of a stroll with a friend.

But I got to thinking lately...why do we humans spend so much time speculating about the future, when all we have to do is sit back and let it unfold before our eyes.

The reason all this started in my head was because it is nearing "Election Time" in a couple of major countries around the world (not least my own with it's population of 4.5 million persons). Constant round the clock discussions about what the eventual outcome might be (and for sure getting more intense as the time gets nearer). Hours upon hours of differing points of view and opinions. etc., etc., etc., as if it was all going to happen when would be no longer be around to see the eventual outcome. Time that could be spent in much better ways like discussing how to solve the world's hunger problems or the immigrant crises.

Jeezuuus.....the OP was just curious about cut through alley. I enjoyed that also. Had a bar called country rd with some music and pool. Also bit of alternative to standard soi 4 type bars. Seriously don't understand what you have gone on with unrelated tangent.

Another piece of old Sukhumvit bites the dust...

I always liked that shortcut, easy to skip the crowded sidewalk, see some of the bottom feeders at work, and, combined with the shortcut from soi 5 to soi 3/1, a quick way to my favorite shwarma stand...

Soi 10 plaza gone, Soi Zero/Buckskin Joe gone, Clinton Plaza, beer bars at Asoke, all gone.

I guess, as Carly Simon once said, "These are the good old days".

Forgot to mention the beer garden in front of the Ambassador. Good times there. Bodies landing in the parking lot from the upper floors, ladyboys duking it out...man, I miss that place...

Popularly known as 'Soi Toilet'

Soi toilet it certainly was, but it had a certain charm and I quite liked a beer there on occasion. You can bet your bottom dollar that what replaces it wont be so interesting.

Beer garden will be next to go since its adjoining. Cant stop big $$ and progress..

Why not? I mean not all countries allow the rich to build what they want, where they want, when they want. most countries have planning laws....

Jeezuuus.....the OP was just curious about cut through alley. I enjoyed that also. Had a bar called country rd with some music and pool. Also bit of alternative to standard soi 4 type bars. Seriously don't understand what you have gone on with unrelated tangent.

Country Road is still open.

Beer garden will be next to go since its adjoining. Cant stop big $$ and progress..

Different owners so no connection there.

I know but different owners where all the restaurants and shops on the corner of Sukhumvuit and SOI 7 were as well but that whole area has already been pulled down . A large part of that whole street from the beer garden up is being redeveloped and its just a matter of time until the owners of the beer garden land get a knock on the door

If they ever kick out the Shawarma stand -- I will NEVER go there anymore , let the place DIE .....

Do you know that Muhammed pays THB 45,000.- p/month for that " site " .... GREEDY LANDLORD.

There was an article about this some months ago. This said that they were knocking it all down, and building new shops etc, that would appeal specifically to the visitors from the middle eastern countries. Why they need this is lost to me, especially considering they already have all that around Soi 3 etc.

They had the best outdoor seafood places there that were taken down, have been eating there religiously for over 15 years, always fresh - never a jelly belly - anyopne know if they have resurected them anywhere?? There were three seafood and one Beer bar under the same rook Luguna Seafood was one of them.crying.gif

Shame that another little bit of the past has been reduced to rubble.

Soon all that will remain will be the rip off prices on Nana Plaza/Soi 4, Cowboy or characterless, sterile 'Expat pubs'. While an odd area which attracted some rummy characters (it wasn't nicknamed 'Blade Runner or Star Wars alley for nothing).

Gone are the days one could meander from Buckskin Joe's (Soi Zero) to Nana/Soi 4, over the road at 'suicide junction', a quick people watch at the Food Centre on 5, down the alley to the Beer Garden or New Wave, then on to Clinton Plaza and Cowboy.....happy days indeed....will we ever see the like of them again?

I know the puritan set, whose wives no longer allow them to go to the bars, will celebrate the passing of another bar area, but it's another bit of my own personal BKK history vanished (and that of several others going from the replies here).

I've heard that shortcut referred to as 'Soi Bladerunner' - seemed appropriate.

I've cut through there so many times I've lost count; very useful to get to Soi 5, the shwarma stand, and the 24-hour pharmacy at Foodland.

The lease for the Beer Garden will be up next year; that's when I expect it will come tumbling down, too.

I and some friends have always called it Soi Tunnel. I've walked it hundreds of times as a short cut. Also, for several years there was a great Issan restaurant that was open 24/7 which was excellent for late-night/early-morning eats.

I've cut through there so many times I've lost count; very useful to get to Soi 5, the shwarma stand, and the 24-hour pharmacy at Foodland.

The lease for the Beer Garden will be up next year; that's when I expect it will come tumbling down, too.

The Beer Garten on Soi 7 should be saved as a national landmark ... or, at least, in my history book.

They had the best outdoor seafood places there that were taken down, have been eating there religiously for over 15 years, always fresh - never a jelly belly - anyopne know if they have resurected them anywhere?? There were three seafood and one Beer bar under the same rook Luguna Seafood was one of them.crying.gif

There's a sign on the fence saying seafood moved to soi 7/1 - not remember it as being Laguna though

Popularly known as 'Soi Toilet'

Soi toilet it certainly was, but it had a certain charm and I quite liked a beer there on occasion. You can bet your bottom dollar that what replaces it wont be so interesting.

Why not? I mean not all countries allow the rich to build what they want, where they want, when they want. most countries have planning laws....

Yes ... and who has the money/power/influence to manipulate those planning laws?

The Beer Garten on Soi 7 should be saved as a national landmark ... or, at least, in my history book.

Couldn't agree more Herbal Ed.

For me it's one of the last slivers of 'Old Skool' Bangkok remaining...

Another piece of old Sukhumvit bites the dust...

I always liked that shortcut, easy to skip the crowded sidewalk, see some of the bottom feeders at work, and, combined with the shortcut from soi 5 to soi 3/1, a quick way to my favorite shwarma stand...

Soi 10 plaza gone, Soi Zero/Buckskin Joe gone, Clinton Plaza, beer bars at Asoke, all gone.

I guess, as Carly Simon once said, "These are the good old days".

Forgot to mention the beer garden in front of the Ambassador. Good times there. Bodies landing in the parking lot from the upper floors, ladyboys duking it out...man, I miss that place...

Once upon a time there was a tavern

Where we used to raise a glass or two

Remember how we laughed away the hours

Think of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend

We thought they'd never end

We'd sing and dance forever and a day

We'd live the life we choose

We'd fight and never lose

For we were young and sure to have our way.

La la la la...

You bought back some memories. That great open space of the Ambassador was a big loss to Sukhumvit.

I at at Leguna Seafood literally hundreds of times over a couple of decades. Always excellent food and service and I loved to watch and flirt with the working girls who walked by or stopped to eat.

Shame that another little bit of the past has been reduced to rubble.

Soon all that will remain will be the rip off prices on Nana Plaza/Soi 4, Cowboy or characterless, sterile 'Expat pubs'. While an odd area which attracted some rummy characters (it wasn't nicknamed 'Blade Runner or Star Wars alley for nothing).

Gone are the days one could meander from Buckskin Joe's (Soi Zero) to Nana/Soi 4, over the road at 'suicide junction', a quick people watch at the Food Centre on 5, down the alley to the Beer Garden or New Wave, then on to Clinton Plaza and Cowboy.....happy days indeed....will we ever see the like of them again?

I know the puritan set, whose wives no longer allow them to go to the bars, will celebrate the passing of another bar area, but it's another bit of my own personal BKK history vanished (and that of several others going from the replies here).

No, Mr. Brilliant, I'm sad to say we will never "ever see the like of them again." Fond memories indeed.