12 visa runs, Lao to TH-OK?

purushanti

30 day Lao tourist visa cannot be extended, (as i understand it),

which apparently means leaving the country and starting over again if one wants to stay in Lao without a work permit.

Any problem on the Thai side of the border run, for a farang poppng in 12 x a year?

Do the Thais allow that? And what kind of TH visa woud be involved?

Simple to do, or is there more to know?

It's been over a year since I was there, but it was possible to extend the tourist visa. The charge was US$2 per day, maybe an extra fee thrown in (like for the blank form). There was a limit, maybe it was 30 days .

I used to do border runs, included a shopping trip to Tesco in Nong Khai. I'm curious how this plays on the Thai side these days.

It's no problem with doing this. Just turn around in Nongkai or stay the nite. I know people who do this every month. You might-probably will get asked by Laos customs at some stage. Usually after a year anyway.

Whether every 3 months, or each one month to Nongkhai, from Vientiane, what kind of visa will the Thais issue, and............... how long wil they be willing to alowing such visits?

And "asked by "Laos customs at some stage"----asked what? To stop these crossings, or what?

A Laotian limit on 30 days (extended for another 60)?

A Laotian limit on continual 30 day runs?

Thanks.

It's no problem with doing this. Just turn around in Nongkai or stay the nite. I know people who do this every month. You might-probably will get asked by Laos customs at some stage. Usually after a year anyway.

Whether every 3 months, or each one month to Nongkhai, from Vientiane, what kind of visa will the Thais issue, and............... how long wil they be willing to alowing such visits?

And "asked by "Laos customs at some stage"----asked what? To stop these crossings, or what?

Thanks.

The Laotian side won't stop you from crossing but would like to know what your doing in Laos. Their just making sure that you're not working. This may or may not happen, just depends on the customs official.

On the Thai side it's no problem as you haven't stayed in Thailand longer than 90 days, plus they can see you're only doing a visa run.

Thailand gives you 15 days for land crossings.

Thanks.

How did the crossing pan out?

Also, I am curious if there are any other crossing options. Laos to Vietnam, Laos to Cambodia, Laos to Burma?.

Thanks.

The Laotian side won't stop you from crossing but would like to know what your doing in Laos. Their just making sure that you're not working. This may or may not happen, just depends on the customs official.

On the Thai side it's no problem as you haven't stayed in Thailand longer than 90 days, plus they can see you're only doing a visa run.

Thailand gives you 15 days for land crossings.

should be 30 days for land crossings if you are a G7 country citizen

Laos doesn't care how many times you go in and out on a tourist visa. The Thai side doesn't care either. They will look and see you aren't even staying in Thailand. Each time I did this I basically stopped at 7-11 got a few drinks that we can't get in Laos and turned around and went straight back into Laos. I think Thai stamps only become a problem when it becomes apparent you are using them to live in Thailand.

I did this for around 5 years when I first came to Laos. If you are working in Laos at least where I was, the Lao immigration police will eventually find you. When they do they will give you a fine and tell you it is time to get a business visa. I paid around 2 million Kip when they fined me. After that I sorted out a business visa as I felt that was a reasonable thing to do.

Although it has been a couple of years since I have been doing that, I have friends that still continue to do it every month for several years straight.

Thanks.

How did the crossing pan out?

Also, I am curious if there are any other crossing options. Laos to Vietnam, Laos to Cambodia, Laos to Burma?.

If you want to go to the 3 countries mentioned, you'll need to pay for visas. Thailand is free! so a much better option.

If you want to go to the 3 countries mentioned, you'll need to pay for visas. Thailand is free! so a much better option.

Don't forget Vietnam is also getting in on the act, offering 15 day visa exemption to certain passport holders from the 01 July this year.

Although I am yet to discover someone who has visited Vietnam for 15 days(apparently the visa exemption is actually for 13 days, because the date of entry and date of departure don't count). Plus there's travelling to and from the airport, that's shaved off another couple of days.